BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
csween86
DSC OFF

Drives: 2011 135i N55,6MT,M-PK

How much should I spend on a decent helmet if decide to take part in an event in the future? BTW I live closer to lime rock than i thought just googled it only 45 minutes away, I will def be there sat. Can't wait! I wonder if people ever take others on rides in their cars, that would be sweet, although I don't have a helmet yet so probably not
csween86 is offline   United_States
      04-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Lubo
1addict

Drives: 09 135i

Most of the time you cannot give ride alongs unless you are an instructor.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest helmet out there. Not any helmet will suffice. Most of the clubs want Snell rated helmet that is no older then 10 years. Some clubs will also not let you use a motorcycle helmet even though it has the correct snell rating. Look for sticker on the inside of the helmet. You want to see the SA2010 sticker. However even more important then the above is to make sure you got a proper fitting helmet that you are comfortable in.

Lubo
      04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Most of the time you cannot give ride alongs unless you are an instructor.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest helmet out there. Not any helmet will suffice. Most of the clubs want Snell rated helmet that is no older then 10 years. Some clubs will also not let you use a motorcycle helmet even though it has the correct snell rating. Look for sticker on the inside of the helmet. You want to see the SA2010 sticker. However even more important then the above is to make sure you got a proper fitting helmet that you are comfortable in.

Lubo
+1

and there is an unwritten rule about helmets.......

How much is your head worth ???????? they dont call them brain buckets for no reason..

SA2010 is the latest.. an sa2005 is good till 20015

EMRA lets you run an M2005/ M 2010 they are a bit cheaper as they are not fire rated but since your wearing jeans and a sweat shirt, the last thing you worry about is fire.. yiou could get a decent pyrotech for 350 ish

also remember you sweat in a helmet and they are hard to keep "fresh" i dont think i would want to put on a 5 year old helmet if you know what i mean..LOL

regards.. see you on saturday p.s bring lunch if you are going to stay long
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
      04-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
csween86
DSC OFF

Thanks for all the help. Man the nordschleife and hockenheimring were so simple.... I guess beggars can't be choosers haha.
      04-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #27
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut

Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
also remember you sweat in a helmet and they are hard to keep "fresh" i dont think i would want to put on a 5 year old helmet if you know what i mean..LOL

regards.. see you on saturday p.s bring lunch if you are going to stay long
I agree with everything you said. But, I bought a pair of cheap balaclavas a few years back and they are very handy at soaking up sweat.

And dont get a Simpson Helmet, theyre a bit notorious for making a poor quality product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
Thanks for all the help. Man the nordschleife and hockenheimring were so simple.... I guess beggars can't be choosers haha.
you should see the crap I have to go through to get a vert out there. Its why I havent done a trackday in my car yet
      04-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
csween86
DSC OFF

Hey Alex, today was definitely fun! I walked around the entire track, filmed and took a bunch of photos. Got a feel for everything. I filmed an entire session from your group with my HD cam, nice driving! It's too big to put on YouTube, I'm trying to figure out how to make it a bit smaller, once I do I'll post the link for ya. BTW your friend in the s2000 did get squirrelly quite a bit, not in a bad way though. I got worried a couple times but he recovered quite nicely every time, let him know it was good stuff.
      04-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Hey Alex, today was definitely fun! I walked around the entire track, filmed and took a bunch of photos. Got a feel for everything. I filmed an entire session from your group with my HD cam, nice driving! It's too big to put on YouTube, I'm trying to figure out how to make it a bit smaller, once I do I'll post the link for ya. BTW your friend in the s2000 did get squirrelly quite a bit, not in a bad way though. I got worried a couple times but he recovered quite nicely every time, let him know it was good stuff.
It was a pleasure...im glad it was fun.. i love video.. do what you can..

Dan in the s2000 beats me by 2 seconds EVERY time.. I ran a 1:06.9 my fastest yet in 2.5 years. ( 1.5 seconds faster then last fastest time) I won 1st place in my group... Dan ran a 1:05 flat.. he also got first in his class..

Dan can drive... That "squirrelly" that you see is driving on the edge.. he ocassionally crosses that line, but not many times.. He has tamed the s2000 oversteer monster...

see you in june !!!
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
      04-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
csween86
DSC OFF

Hey Alex, you had mentioned that you had started off in autocross. Were you a member of the BMWCCA NY chapter doing autocross at Nassau Coliseum? I've been looking into that, it's a lot less money, sounds like fun, and seems like there is less risk of wrecking too...
      04-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #31
Lubo
1addict

Quote:
Hey Alex, you had mentioned that you had started off in autocross. Were you a member of the BMWCCA NY chapter doing autocross at Nassau Coliseum? I've been looking into that, it's a lot less money, sounds like fun, and seems like there is less risk of wrecking too...
Come on by I am a regular with BMWCCA and I try to attend all of their events. Sadly I won't be able to make the next one as I got a wedding to attend

Regulations have changed this year and if you want to participate you will need to become a member
      04-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #32
csween86
DSC OFF

"Due to the IRS regulations requiring all participants in our club activities to be members, you must present your member ID at the Autocross registration desk. BMW CCA Members will be charged $35 for the event. If you are not a BMW CCA member, the entry fee for your first event will be $70 but will include a 1 year membership to the BMW CCA (a $48 value). Any other events you attend until the end of your new membership will then be charged the $35 member rate." this is off the ny chapters website. So I see for my first event it would be cheaper to buy my membership/event day on the spot. But do these events usually fill up in advance? Should I just sign up online?
      04-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #33
Lubo
1addict

Quote:
"Due to the IRS regulations requiring all participants in our club activities to be members, you must present your member ID at the Autocross registration desk. BMW CCA Members will be charged $35 for the event. If you are not a BMW CCA member, the entry fee for your first event will be $70 but will include a 1 year membership to the BMW CCA (a $48 value). Any other events you attend until the end of your new membership will then be charged the $35 member rate." this is off the ny chapters website. So I see for my first event it would be cheaper to buy my membership/event day on the spot. But do these events usually fill up in advance? Should I just sign up online?
Buy the membership on site it will be cheaper than doing so online. Do the registration online and bring it with you. It will save you time filling out the paperwork on site. You do not pay online all the fees all collected at the event.

Lubo
      04-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut

Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Ill be back into it once I get back from London in June.

Its a lot of fun.