BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #67
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Just a thought here...

why not just go to a muffler shop and have them pipe out the mid-pipe cats on the car and / or have them chop the resonator on the mid-pipe and pipe that out too?

It would be a LOT cheaper and performance over spending 700 on just a mid-pipe cant be much more I would think...
The MD has resonators (instead of secondary cats), that creates the sound
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #68
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,691
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
it's not like them, at least from when I dealt with them (Rich @ MadDad). I was actually the test mule for their first prototype back when they came out with the mids for the 135i and always had immediate response from Rich and team.
It is quite sad...I have contacted them directly via email and sent a PM. Business must be good to ignore a potential sale of close to 20 units...
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #69
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
The MD has resonators (instead of secondary cats), that creates the sound
Ok... so have them install resonators in there place. lmao.

How much lower for the group buy? I dont seem to see a price. Thanks for the help.
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #70
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,691
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Ok... so have them install resonators in there place. lmao.

How much lower for the group buy? I dont seem to see a price. Thanks for the help.
Guys, it seems neither MadDad nor one of their dealers are interested in helping us with this GB. What do you all say we reach out to Berk?
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Guys, it seems neither MadDad nor one of their dealers are interested in helping us with this GB. What do you all say we reach out to Berk?
Couldnt hurt to ask
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #72
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Can someone tell me the difference between the N54 and N55 midpipes? is is the same pipe except for the converters? Sorry for asking...
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #73
maddad
First Lieutenant
 
maddad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA.

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

One of the member's here emailed me last week and I gave a detailed response. I'll share the basic of it here and tell you what we'll be doing.

First of all, we won't just make a catless pipe and sell it without knowing what it will sound like inside the cabin of the car. Since the ask is coming from the 1M crew we would want to make a pipe and test it on a 1M under the conditions that represent the most common denominator of the group, that might be stock axleback with a catless resonator-less midpipe.

Personally I doubt a catless, resonator-less midpipe is going to sound great so on first volley we'll more than likey incorporate the tuning baffle we engineered for our Street Series axleback for the regular 135i's. In initial development of that axleback the first test unit sound terrible inside the cabin. The drone spanned a good 2000 rpm range down where you cruise around town. I hated it, so back to the drawing board. We came up with a hand made baffle that is incorated into a small section of the 3" pipe and it elminated most of the drone. You went from a 2000 rpm range to a 200 rmp range that is almost non existant..with no muffler at all. So I'm thinking we'll use that technique and give this a shot. Don't hold your breath though. As easy as this sound there are many logistally bits that have to be done and we need to feed it into our fabrication shops schedule. We've had a 135i dual outlet axleback project that is over a year old and we are still working on it. Don't get scared though. The midpipe is a much easier build, but don't be looking for one next month. If you have a more immediate need I'd just order a normal MadDad midpipe which has already proven itself.

If you want more updates I'd suggest hitting Harold at HP Autowerks. Harold will be testing this new pipe on his 1M and will be able to attest if it is a worthwhile option since he already has MadDad resonated mid as a baseline.

As you guys can tell, I am not on the forum much these days. HP Autowerks carries the line and is very active on the forum and we'll communicate where we are at with them since they will end up testing this pipe.

Happy Driving....

R.
__________________
maddad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #74
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,691
iTrader: (0)

^^^Thanks for chiming in MadDad. I believe there are a number of us who are between MadDad, Berk and N55 mid-pipes and strongly leaning towards MadDad. The question we have been trying to get an answer on is, are you interested in putting together some sort of a group buy for your product. We have about 20 who are ready to pull the trigger. Perhaps even a discount on shipping would suffice the GB?

Thoughts?
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #75
nicoz
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
^^^Thanks for chiming in MadDad. I believe there are a number of us who are between MadDad, Berk and N55 mid-pipes and strongly leaning towards MadDad. The question we have been trying to get an answer on is, are you interested in putting together some sort of a group buy for your product. We have about 20 who are ready to pull the trigger. Perhaps even a discount on shipping would suffice the GB?

Thoughts?
Just to be clear... I think MrRoboto meant: "We have about 20 who are ready to pull the trigger... on the normal MaDdad midpipe.... "
nicoz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #76
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Ok... so have them install resonators in there place. lmao.
Sure, I am sure they can just whip up a pair of resonators

Why spend big $ on a vehicle and then 'dress' it on-the-cheap ?

The shape of the pipes is different to the stock mids too, if I re-call it gets rid of a kink and perhaps wider diameter?
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #77
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Sure, I am sure they can just whip up a pair of resonators

Why spend big $ on a vehicle and then 'dress' it on-the-cheap ?

The shape of the pipes is different to the stock mids too, if I re-call it gets rid of a kink and perhaps wider diameter?
That's the info I was looking for. If it was just the cat deletes or if there was an actual difference in piping and better overall perfomance.

there are hundreds of different makes and models of resonators shops can put in. Many are not that expensive, either. One, for example, is Magnaflows magnapack resonators. straight through, perforated, lfetime warranty. not "cheaping down" or "dressing up" anything really. So is the same mindset go for cheap honda drivers who sepnt 500 on their car and spend 10k on a full race turbo kit, exhaust, and fully buit motors? lol.

Everyone has different outlook on what their cost/benefit ratio is. Not everyone cares to just waste money on something that wont do much and something no one will ever see. to each their own. we all cant follow the norm otherwise all of our cars would like and sound the same.
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #78
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
That's the info I was looking for. If it was just the cat deletes or if there was an actual difference in piping and better overall perfomance.

there are hundreds of different makes and models of resonators shops can put in. Many are not that expensive, either. One, for example, is Magnaflows magnapack resonators. straight through, perforated, lfetime warranty. not "cheaping down" or "dressing up" anything really. So is the same mindset go for cheap honda drivers who sepnt 500 on their car and spend 10k on a full race turbo kit, exhaust, and fully buit motors? lol.

Everyone has different outlook on what their cost/benefit ratio is. Not everyone cares to just waste money on something that wont do much and something no one will ever see. to each their own. we all cant follow the norm otherwise all of our cars would like and sound the same.
Point taken... a cheaper option would be N55 mids. The noise of the MD mids is just what I wanted, small performance gain, no cosmetic enhancement as they have an OEM look. My BMW SA was looking for issues when I took my car in for 2k service and they picked up non-BMW oil filter and magnetic sump plug, but failed to pick up on the MD's
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #79
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Point taken... a cheaper option would be N55 mids. The noise of the MD mids is just what I wanted, small performance gain, no cosmetic enhancement as they have an OEM look. My BMW SA was looking for issues when I took my car in for 2k service and they picked up non-BMW oil filter and magnetic sump plug, but failed to pick up on the MD's
Cool. Yea, if youwant to keep that OEM look than I see your point, but does the N55 also have these "kinks" like the N54 has?
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #80
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Cool. Yea, if youwant to keep that OEM look than I see your point, but does the N55 also have these "kinks" like the N54 has?
Not sure on N55 pipes. A friend put them on his 1M and is very happy with them, but he intends to change the muffler too. Mine would be too loud with a muffler change + the MadDad's IMO. The build quality of the MD's is also VERY good.

His N55 mids actually gave 10kW more power on the dyno, but it was a different day and different conditions. I'd expect any of these mids would give similar power increases and make the car more responsive. I did the change for the sound.... cheap $700 for good sound vs. $5k for an Akra system.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #81
maddad
First Lieutenant
 
maddad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA.

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

If you guys are looking for just a slightly better deal on the existing MadDad midpipe I would put the inquiry in with HP Autowerks. They may be willing to offer a 'slight' discount with a minimum number of deposited orders, but that would be up to them.

To give a little more background on the midpipe topic, let me take you back to when we first created the MadDad midpipe. There is a reason we made our own resontors for this product. It was two-fold. One, we introduced the pipe when when the N54 was the only engine and therefore you had the secondary cats in the midpipe. We wanted to create a pipe that on quick glace had a look very similiar to the OEM pipe in respect to where the OEM cats are located. So you can see our resontors have the same location and staggered layout as the OEM cats and they are approximately the same size. In essense it looks like you have secondary cats even though they are not. This is important to some U.S based customers when it comes to visual inspections. Second we needed to be able to tune the sound to the extent that we could within the limitation of the resonator size. The first pre-production version of the MadDad midpipe was not the one we went to production with. I wasn't totally happy with the tone quality of it, so we made some changes to the baffles in the resontors and ironed out the wrinkles. I mention this because yes most midpipes are very similiar, but they are definatley not the same and will positively get a different sound quality from one to the other, more so inside the cabin of the car rather than outside drive-bye's.

Final note. This part could be priced higher. It isn't because we tried to set what I felt was a very fair price for a part that has custom built resonators that are used in no other automotive part except for this very low production item. The reality is there isn't much margin to play with for GBs outside of the origonal introduction of the part a couple of years ago, but you guys should ping HP Autowerks and see if they can do anything for you. The answer may be 'No' and if it is its not because they are milking everyone. They play with a slim margin on this product. There is a reason there are very few MadDad resellers and its mostly because the box margins are not there for them. HP Autowerks tried out one of our products on their own house car and decided the fitment the sound and quality were worth it so they started to carry the line despite the lower margin. Kudos to them for that. It means they recommend products they believe in and use themselves rather than products that always give the best margin.

R.
__________________
maddad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #82
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,005
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Cool. Yea, if youwant to keep that OEM look than I see your point, but does the N55 also have these "kinks" like the N54 has?
you'd be surprise at all the information you can find using the search feature.
__________________
_______________________
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Convenience Pkg/Premium Pkg/Harman Kardon/AFE Scoops/Berk Midpipes/P3 V2/BMS Catch Can/CF Rear Deck Spoiler/3M Clear Bra/3M Crystalline/Homelink/M Performance Steering Wheel
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #83
providence
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 X3 Msprt, 2012 X5, 1M
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
If you guys are looking for just a slightly better deal on the existing MadDad midpipe I would put the inquiry in with HP Autowerks. They may be willing to offer a 'slight' discount with a minimum number of deposited orders, but that would be up to them.

To give a little more background on the midpipe topic, let me take you back to when we first created the MadDad midpipe. There is a reason we made our own resontors for this product. It was two-fold. One, we introduced the pipe when when the N54 was the only engine and therefore you had the secondary cats in the midpipe. We wanted to create a pipe that on quick glace had a look very similiar to the OEM pipe in respect to where the OEM cats are located. So you can see our resontors have the same location and staggered layout as the OEM cats and they are approximately the same size. In essense it looks like you have secondary cats even though they are not. This is important to some U.S based customers when it comes to visual inspections. Second we needed to be able to tune the sound to the extent that we could within the limitation of the resonator size. The first pre-production version of the MadDad midpipe was not the one we went to production with. I wasn't totally happy with the tone quality of it, so we made some changes to the baffles in the resontors and ironed out the wrinkles. I mention this because yes most midpipes are very similiar, but they are definatley not the same and will positively get a different sound quality from one to the other, more so inside the cabin of the car rather than outside drive-bye's.

Final note. This part could be priced higher. It isn't because we tried to set what I felt was a very fair price for a part that has custom built resonators that are used in no other automotive part except for this very low production item. The reality is there isn't much margin to play with for GBs outside of the origonal introduction of the part a couple of years ago, but you guys should ping HP Autowerks and see if they can do anything for you. The answer may be 'No' and if it is its not because they are milking everyone. They play with a slim margin on this product. There is a reason there are very few MadDad resellers and its mostly because the box margins are not there for them. HP Autowerks tried out one of our products on their own house car and decided the fitment the sound and quality were worth it so they started to carry the line despite the lower margin. Kudos to them for that. It means they recommend products they believe in and use themselves rather than products that always give the best margin.

R.
...nuff said...
placed my order w daddy SCP cause HP's site has this as a "back-ordered" item... maybe I'm late to the party?? Good luck gents!!
providence is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #84
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
you'd be surprise at all the information you can find using the search feature.
You would be surprised at all the lack of information by using the search feature. Maybe the forum should be re-named to "don't ask any questions until you have searched through the 1 million threads of unrelated information first and spend days guessing because others do not know the answers themselves and you are stuck asking a simple question related in a thread revolving around your answer."

Oh, wait, that IS what a public forum is for. A community to help others with a related hobby or interest and guide those who need help. I forgot it also accepted the crybaby's who are un-helpful and un-willing and sit behind a CPU all day to nit-pick all the little things every single member says or does or asks. some people donít sit behind a monitor on this forum 24/7 to see every thread and know everything about a particular car. I have a life and asked a simple question. If you cannot answer it or include a thread that can answer the question with your "just search" attitude than stop posting to just bump up your post count in an effort to look like you know the answer yourself.

-----------


Now that I wasted my time typing that, I have a question for maddad since there is no phone number listed on their site for you to contact them directly.

Do you have a picture of the internals of your resonators? You said you make these. Are they straight through and perforated like magnaflows, are the louvered like the industry standard resonators for passenger cars many muffler shops use, are the chambered like others, or so you use a perforation and chamber, any packing, turbo tube, etc. I would love to see what type of build these small resonators have in them and the type of flow they allow.

Thank you.
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #85
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,005
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
You would be surprised at all the lack of information by using the search feature. Maybe the forum should be re-named to "don't ask any questions until you have searched through the 1 million threads of unrelated information first and spend days guessing because others do not know the answers themselves and you are stuck asking a simple question related in a thread revolving around your answer."

Oh, wait, that IS what a public forum is for. A community to help others with a related hobby or interest and guide those who need help. I forgot it also accepted the crybaby's who are un-helpful and un-willing and sit behind a CPU all day to nit-pick all the little things every single member says or does or asks. some people donít sit behind a monitor on this forum 24/7 to see every thread and know everything about a particular car. I have a life and asked a simple question. If you cannot answer it or include a thread that can answer the question with your "just search" attitude than stop posting to just bump up your post count in an effort to look like you know the answer yourself.

-----------


Now that I wasted my time typing that, I have a question for maddad since there is no phone number listed on their site for you to contact them directly.

Do you have a picture of the internals of your resonators? You said you make these. Are they straight through and perforated like magnaflows, are the louvered like the industry standard resonators for passenger cars many muffler shops use, are the chambered like others, or so you use a perforation and chamber, any packing, turbo tube, etc. I would love to see what type of build these small resonators have in them and the type of flow they allow.

Thank you.
Obviously, you'd rather spend your time selling parts to a junk yard.
__________________
_______________________
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Convenience Pkg/Premium Pkg/Harman Kardon/AFE Scoops/Berk Midpipes/P3 V2/BMS Catch Can/CF Rear Deck Spoiler/3M Clear Bra/3M Crystalline/Homelink/M Performance Steering Wheel
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #86
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 769
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Obviously, you'd rather spend your time selling parts to a junk yard.
Selling parts to a junk yard? Ok... lol have a nice life
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #87
Jet Mech
Private First Class
 
Jet Mech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisville, KY

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

I bought my Maddad Midpipe from Harold at HP Autowerks about a week ago and just got it. So maybe they are not backordered anymore. I installed it and the sound is great and the install was easy. The quality of the Maddad is top notch...see pic of Maddad next to the stock pipe. Also i weighed them both and Maddad shaved 5 pounds from stock...bonus!!!! Thanks Harold and Maddad for a great product and service.

Name:  P1000706.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  120.1 KB
__________________
2011 1M Coupe VO
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 (Mine)
2010 VW Sportwagon TDI (Wifes)
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Jet Mech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #88
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
I bought my Maddad Midpipe from Harold at HP Autowerks about a week ago and just got it. So maybe they are not backordered anymore. I installed it and the sound is great and the install was easy. The quality of the Maddad is top notch...see pic of Maddad next to the stock pipe. Also i weighed them both and Maddad shaved 5 pounds from stock...bonus!!!! Thanks Harold and Maddad for a great product and service.

Attachment 677647
Nice! Sounds even better once they carbon up a bit.... do some hard pulls with the windows down.... I did a few days ago and loved the noise

The cold start noise is awesome too!
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST