BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

Hankook RS3 Impressions/Question

Heading to the first track session of the season in a few days. I have decided to go with staggered Hankook RS3s for my track tires. I installed them this weekend to get a few miles on them before the track. One thing I noticed is the tendency for them to 'track' any lines in the road. They seem to favour pulling to the left. Everything appears to be installed and balanced properly.

Has anyone experienced this with RS3s?
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      05-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Jet Mech
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

I have the same setup for my track wheels but have not used them yet at the track. I did notice while driving them on the public streets they did seem to follow road imperfections more than the stock setup. Im guessing its because of the wider setup maybe. Please keep us updated on your experience at the track.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
      05-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Pete_vB
Captain

Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Heading to the first track session of the season in a few days. I have decided to go with staggered Hankook RS3s for my track tires. I installed them this weekend to get a few miles on them before the track. One thing I noticed is the tendency for them to 'track' any lines in the road. They seem to favour pulling to the left. Everything appears to be installed and balanced properly.

I haven't noticed pulling one direction or the other, but I do agree RS3s tramline a bit. A smallamount may be part of the game, unfortunately. If you changed wheel offset and scrub radius that could also contribute:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
      05-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

standard operating procedure for sticky tires. they tramline.
      05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 128i M-Sport

I run a square setup for my track wheels. I didn't really notice tram lining but after my alignment I can feel the turn in more and the better grip and control when warm

If you can drive home on them after the even if your close enough to the track meaning less then 100 miles I would do that to help clean them up for the next event. You'll notice a little bit of noisy scrub but it goes away soon enough.

I go to the track on my street wheels a s swap there. But I usually come home on the track wheel if not raining.

Rs3 are not a lot of fun on down pours although I ran only 4 seconds slower at limerock when it rained like a banshe in the last 2 sessions

I feel for the price you can't do better
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
      05-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Dan Parker
Major

Drives: 2012 Golf R

Can any of you with experience with RS3's on track in your 1M reply with what hot tire pressures worked for you? I don't want to sabotage this thread but it seems to fit the topic. I'm running 265's F and 285 R. I'm driving at Road Atlanta in 2 weeks and have about 250 miles on the tires on the street where put them at 38 cold. I pushed them once over a very twisty mountain and they got a bit greasy but I wasn't really surprised as the pressures definitely went over 40 psi. TIA.
      05-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
RaptorKTM
Colonel

Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
I have heard great things in regards to the rs3's. However a few guys with 1 M's that I know including myself believe a squared setup for these cars so far seems to be a better track set up then staggered

Last edited by RaptorKTM; 05-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.
RaptorKTM is offline   United_States
      11-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

The RS3 tramlines a lot especially since I added Vorshlag camber plates. It isn't a bad thing, but keeps you alert to the fact the car is edgy. The benifits of turn-in and handling are well worth it
      11-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The RS3 tramlines a lot especially since I added Vorshlag camber plates. It isn't a bad thing, but keeps you alert to the fact the car is edgy. The benifits of turn-in and handling are well worth it

TRUTH!
      11-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
+1 -
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
      12-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Did a track day with my 245/35/19 and 275/35/19 RS3s. Very impressive tyres. Grip is consistent and predictable even after a hard 20 mins of running hot 37. Transformation from PSS. The turn-in is vastly improved and I had to adjust to later turn-in, but this may also be due to new camber plates running -2.

On road they are not noticeably noisier than PSS, but are darty under braking on uneven surfaces. Ride is marginally harder.