BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
 
ChrisBuer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

Air filters / induction kits

I'm just curious as to why there doesn't seem to be many people upgrading their induction kit on the 1M. I'm most other cars, people tune by upgrading the exhaust and air filter / induction kit.

Is there any reason as to why this doesn't seem to be the case for the 1M?

Just curious.....
ChrisBuer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
M3Power79
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Belgium

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

i don't trust hot air intakes
__________________
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
M3Power79 is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Stratus650
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1er M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai

Posts: 389
iTrader: (0)

i think the OEM air intake setup is not bad, you can simply upgrade with a drop-in filter for enhanced flow, or if you have a couple of grands lying around you can get a serious GruppeM intake
__________________

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Stratus650 is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
1'M Blue
Captain
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: OM

Posts: 623
iTrader: (0)

AFE Stage II is what i have ordered.
1'M Blue is offline   Oman
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
i don't trust hot air intakes
Agreed. I just tried the common DCI mod and the car doesn't perform to the same level as with the OEM airbox. I think Mr 5 intake is the one I'll be happiest with.
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
 
pearlwhites's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 383
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Agreed. I just tried the common DCI mod and the car doesn't perform to the same level as with the OEM airbox. I think Mr 5 intake is the one I'll be happiest with.
Yeah unfortunately for us, Mr 5 intake won't work properly in our smaller engine bay. You'll have to go with Helix's kit I think for similar results.
pearlwhites is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwhites View Post
Yeah unfortunately for us, Mr 5 intake won't work properly in our smaller engine bay. You'll have to go with Helix's kit I think for similar results.
True... I have sourced an Injen power steering cup bracket in order to create some more space for the intake ducting.
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
True... I have sourced an Injen power steering cup bracket in order to create some more space for the intake ducting.
Problem with the power steering cup bracket is there there is no place to really put it when you have that much piping. The piping for the power steering is not long enough to move the location to where you can use that bracket. Maybe I haven't been able to figure it out yet. If you figure it out, please post up some photos.
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Problem with the power steering cup bracket is there there is no place to really put it when you have that much piping. The piping for the power steering is not long enough to move the location to where you can use that bracket. Maybe I haven't been able to figure it out yet. If you figure it out, please post up some photos.
Interesting observation. I had a quick look yesterday and it seemed to have some slack in the PS piping... although I'm not sure if it'll make it the full distance. I should receive the bracket soon. Pics will definitely be posted (if not by me, then by RaihaX who has all the components ready for a Mr5 style intake bar this bracket). Alternatively it could just be the design in the 1M to have a shorter PS cup pipe (I have a 135i, which could be the difference).
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Problem with the power steering cup bracket is there there is no place to really put it when you have that much piping. The piping for the power steering is not long enough to move the location to where you can use that bracket. Maybe I haven't been able to figure it out yet. If you figure it out, please post up some photos.
Hmmm how do people install the injen intake if that is the case ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
Alternatively it could just be the design in the 1M to have a shorter PS cup pipe (I have a 135i, which could be the difference).
True
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Interesting observation. I had a quick look yesterday and it seemed to have some slack in the PS piping... although I'm not sure if it'll make it the full distance. I should receive the bracket soon. Pics will definitely be posted (if not by me, then by RaihaX who has all the components ready for a Mr5 style intake bar this bracket). Alternatively it could just be the design in the 1M to have a shorter PS cup pipe (I have a 135i, which could be the difference).
The Power Steering pipe does have slack but not enough to the point where I could find a point to mount the bracket and the power steering pump could reach. The cup bracket, if a bit longer, it would work and the power steering pump could sit right before the driver's side headlight.
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Hmmm how do people install the injen intake if that is the case ?
Injen intakes were originally designed for the 335 and the 135 is slightly different which causes this issue to my knowledge. I am not 100% sure on this. Also the power steering in the 1M is the not really the problem but rather the active steering pump it seems. I'll try to post photos tomorrow to better explain what I mean.
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Injen intakes were originally designed for the 335 and the 135 is slightly different which causes this issue to my knowledge. I am not 100% sure on this. Also the power steering in the 1M is the not really the problem but rather the active steering pump it seems. I'll try to post photos tomorrow to better explain what I mean.
fair enough - I guess I have a 135i and no active steering pump so that could make the difference!
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
fair enough - I guess I have a 135i and no active steering pump so that could make the difference!
*fingers crossed bud*
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
*fingers crossed bud*
Hopefully - just need stu to hurry up
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Hopefully - just need stu to hurry up
lol! It's on the way.. he's getting back to me soon with an ETA.
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
lol! It's on the way.. he's getting back to me soon with an ETA.
hahah i know i kid i kid - i can wait!

msg me when you get the ETA though
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #18
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
I stand corrected. It seems that the 135's have the same thing but with the bracket, it doesn't work with injen intake.

This is the part that I was refering to
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a photo of the engine bay with injen intake.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, there is no place for the bracket and also the mount point for the shorter side of the bracket does not actual reach the cowl area that is it suppose to be installed at as well.
[IMG][/IMG]

For some reason the piping is not long enough to fit like this. Maybe I am missing something but will take a better look during the day
***Taken from this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=injen+intake ***




Did some more research. Looks like this version of the guide is different. It shows that drilling is required but piping still was not long enough in my case.


Last edited by Gtrain; 05-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

that setup seems to be different the bracket should be bolted to where the existing frame was.

like this, not sure why in that picture the bracket is going towards the firewall?
Attached Images
 
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
that setup seems to be differen the bracket should be bolted to where the existing frame is.
Not actually sure. When you get yours if you could post pictures that would be great.
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

will do
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,136
iTrader: (0)

I can't wait to get rid of this DCI... it's only been on for 150km but it's already starting to annoy me with the amount of hot air getting sucked into the intake.

Time to visit some local wrecking yards for a spare oem airbox to hack into!
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST