BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
Rotor head
Private
 
Drives: F10 535
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 49
iTrader: (1)

That is good news ...

Cooling issues definitely needed some works.. (at least for me in Asia) .. Any good suggestions
Rotor head is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor head View Post
That is good news ...

Cooling issues definitely needed some works.. (at least for me in Asia) .. Any good suggestions
Look into ER Dual Oil Cooler.

We got pretty bad heat as well in our summer 40++ Celcius but SG would be pretty humid yeah..
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
Rotor head
Private
 
Drives: F10 535
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 49
iTrader: (1)

Sure .. Thanks for the pointer.
Rotor head is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
Fundahl
Captain
 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

The RB turbos will do fine on the stock 1M cooling systems. The only thing you should look into replacing is the intercooler.

I like the AMS, HPF and Helix designs. CP-e is good too but you don't really need the extra oil cooler with the 1M, unless your oil temps are getting near 300F somehow.
Fundahl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
M///1rider
Banned
 
M///1rider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Im running the 7" HPF intercooler. Runs very well!
M///1rider is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
Rotor head
Private
 
Drives: F10 535
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 49
iTrader: (1)

Planned for the CPe intercooler with the additional cooler .. But no reply from them till now.

Will just go with the ETS 5" intercooler .. Hope it will be just fine.
Rotor head is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
kazin
Private
 
Drives: a
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Sorry for the noob question: Would these turbos increase turbo lag? I'm gathering that if they fit in the stock housing they are of the same size so it shouldn't but I'm not very familiar with how these things work :S
kazin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
M///1rider
Banned
 
M///1rider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazin
Sorry for the noob question: Would these turbos increase turbo lag? I'm gathering that if they fit in the stock housing they are of the same size so it shouldn't but I'm not very familiar with how these things work :S
Not a 100% positive but i think no. And mated with the m sport keeping the wastegates open helps also!!!!
M///1rider is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #31
LotusBoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brussels

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Guys, be carefull ! Already with stock power, this baby is dangerous. Stock chassis is easily overwhelmed, so don't push your luck too far ...
LotusBoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
Pete_vB
Captain
 
Pete_vB's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, Shenzhen, Oman

Posts: 773
iTrader: (0)

Good move OP. Sounds like a good path given your goals. Looking forward to hearing how they do, especially with the Cobb tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
The RB turbos will do fine on the stock 1M cooling systems. The only thing you should look into replacing is the intercooler.
Depends how you use the car. For sustained running under high load the cooling system is almost always the weak point of any turbo car, especially getting heat out of the head on the exhaust side. Improving the cooling is a good idea to keep a margin of safety, I'd look at running water wetter or similar at a minimum (Porsche uses one in Cup cars, standard stuff for hard usage). If you just "sprint" with the car the head and block has enough thermal mass to avoid overheating for short period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazin View Post
Sorry for the noob question: Would these turbos increase turbo lag?
Yes, larger turbos increase lag unless you also significantly improve the technology, the housing isn't the issue. On the other hand these are not that much bigger, and he'll reduce the lag by pulling the cats from the exhaust and likely end up back very close to stock lag when he's done, I'd guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Guys, be carefull ! Already with stock power, this baby is dangerous. Stock chassis is easily overwhelmed, so don't push your luck too far ...
The turbos aren't really significantly going to increase peak torque, which is what makes the car a handful. He'll just hold that torque further towards redline. That said, self control and good judgement will be needed.
__________________
1M, 1969 Porsche 911 w/ 997 GT3 Cup Motor (435hp & 2,100 lbs)
Pete_vB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 1M VO
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: RP

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor head View Post
Planned for the CPe intercooler with the additional cooler .. But no reply from them till now.

Will just go with the ETS 5" intercooler .. Hope it will be just fine.

just go to their website and buy off it. i got one and the quality is good and the fit is very tight. but it is a nice intercooler.

i bought the additional oil cooler but chose not to install it. i wasn't happy with the way it looked and the big notice "china". anyway, the oil temp in my car is quite controlled despite trackdays. just ranges between 240-265.
azmurciev12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #34
///M1
Brigadier General
 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305

Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmurciev12 View Post
just go to their website and buy off it. i got one and the quality is good and the fit is very tight. but it is a nice intercooler.

i bought the additional oil cooler but chose not to install it. i wasn't happy with the way it looked and the big notice "china". anyway, the oil temp in my car is quite controlled despite trackdays. just ranges between 240-265.
How tight of a fit is the CPe? Any cutting needed? One of the big reasons I am leaning towards the ETS as of right now.
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
///M1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #35
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 1M VO
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: RP

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

very very tight! you could get away without trimming anything. i had a small file and filed down some plastic bits at the corners just to make it easier to get in -no big deal.
azmurciev12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #36
Stratus650
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1er M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

OP, Any update on the RB turbos project ?
__________________

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Stratus650 is online now   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #37
FazerBoy
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London, UK

Posts: 365
iTrader: (0)

Are the turbos on the 1M the same as on the 135i, or are they upgraded?
FazerBoy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #38
M///1rider
Banned
 
M///1rider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650
OP, Any update on the RB turbos project ?
None yet i was purchasing the turbos from a person who had a 335i and realized they are different. Got a dent in my trunk and decided to purchase a Slek CSL trunk for now. Then i will continue this project hopefully i will have them by early july.

Also the 1M turbos are the same as the 135i
M///1rider is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #39
EINSER M
Major General
 
EINSER M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064 N, 117.5922 W, 300m altitude

Posts: 5,368
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
None yet i was purchasing the turbos from a person who had a 335i and realized they are different. Got a dent in my trunk and decided to purchase a Slek CSL trunk for now. Then i will continue this project hopefully i will have them by early july.

Also the 1M turbos are the same as the 135i
you my friend will be among kings of 1Ms with that sorta turbo upgrades
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

EINSER M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Look into ER Dual Oil Cooler.

We got pretty bad heat as well in our summer 40++ Celcius but SG would be pretty humid yeah..
Won't work on the 1M since we have an auxilliary radiator in the space where the second oil cooler would be fit on the left side.

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST