BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #89
miula
Private First Class
 
miula's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Anyone with Remus rear + Remus race mids?
I believe I am going to be the first one to have the full system installed because the mid-pipes were back ordered. They are sitting in my living room as I type and are due to be installed Monday at 12:30 pm by Turner Motorsports. I will post an update when I get back from the shop Monday night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post
I do feel the remus needs a bit more noise... I only have like 400 km now. Im not sure how much more will it open up.

Anyone know this?
My system opened up considerably after a few hundred miles and a couple of weeks; enough that I can see people turning around to figure out what's going on around town. I don't recall exactly how many miles but it did take some driving around. Right now it is loud enough that I am little worried it might get too loud and borderline obnoxious when the mid-pipes go on Monday...
miula is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #90
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,832
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
I believe I am going to be the first one to have the full system installed because the mid-pipes were back ordered. They are sitting in my living room as I type and are due to be installed Monday at 12:30 pm by Turner Motorsports. I will post an update when I get back from the shop Monday night...



My system opened up considerably after a few hundred miles and a couple of weeks; enough that I can see people turning around to figure out what's going on around town. I don't recall exactly how many miles but it did take some driving around. Right now it is loud enough that I am little worried it might get too loud and borderline obnoxious when the mid-pipes go on Monday...
Thanks, looking fwd to reading your impressions with the new set up.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      06-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #91
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

[quote=IZZY79;12083120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Mids will give you more power (+10rwHP). Much deeper & aggressive noise.

I do feel the remus needs a bit more noise... I only have like 400 km now. Im not sure how much more will it open up.

Anyone know this?
I have done 400 too... seems settled. Mids make biggest difference.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #92
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

[quote=Ian///M;12083378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post

I have done 400 too... seems settled. Mids make biggest difference.
how much of a diference did the mids made? sound wise?
Is it a lot lowder? or just diferent?
how much are the mids?

thanks!!!
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #93
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

[quote=IZZY79;12088680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post

how much of a diference did the mids made? sound wise?
Is it a lot lowder? or just diferent?
how much are the mids?

thanks!!!
Mids will make the biggest difference in power (+10rwHP) and noise. I have MadDads which give a deep noise. Muffler has deepened it further and added resonance. See my videos.

IMO it is more important to do the mids than the muffler... I primarily did the muffler, some months after doing the mids, to reduce the drone and for the looks.

HPA sell MadDad mids for around $700, although big back orders on them now.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #94
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

[quote=Ian///M;12088822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post

Mids will make the biggest difference in power (+10rwHP) and noise. I have MadDads which give a deep noise. Muffler has deepened it further and added resonance. See my videos.

IMO it is more important to do the mids than the muffler... I primarily did the muffler, some months after doing the mids, to reduce the drone and for the looks.

HPA sell MadDad mids for around $700, although big back orders on them now.
Thanks for the info!
I have seen your videos many times. Its just hard for me sometimes to really know who it would sounds in person.

Im still thinking about the mid pipes. But I would probably install the remus ones.

Does anybody know the diference between the MadDad and the remus mids?
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,832
iTrader: (0)

[quote=IZZY79;12091497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post

Thanks for the info!
I have seen your videos many times. Its just hard for me sometimes to really know who it would sounds in person.

Im still thinking about the mid pipes. But I would probably install the remus ones.

Does anybody know the diference between the MadDad and the remus mids?
I am waiting miula to post his review about Remus mids. In the meantime, I know that Maddad is with two small resonators (instead of one big in N55 or 1M's) plus no cats. I think the Remus mids are with no cats and no resonators, straight pipe but I stand corrected.

Here a link:

http://www.remus.eu/shop-pkw/bmw/1-s...-aau-2007.html
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #96
miula
Private First Class
 
miula's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
[quote=ozinaldo;12092179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post

I am waiting miula to post his review about Remus mids. In the meantime, I know that Maddad is with two small resonators (instead of one big in N55 or 1M's) plus no cats. I think the Remus mids are with no cats and no resonators, straight pipe but I stand corrected.

Here a link:

http://www.remus.eu/shop-pkw/bmw/1-s...-aau-2007.html
The Remus racing replacement tube has no secondary cats and/or muffler. It is literally a racing tube coated in black ceramic paint. It also does not have a flange and thus only works with the Remus Street Race exhaust; you actually have to remove the flange that adapts the exhaust to the stock mid-pipes and connect the Racing tube straight into the Remus muffler.

Video is uploading as I type, update coming soon!!!
miula is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #97
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

[quote=ozinaldo;12092179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post

I am waiting miula to post his review about Remus mids. In the meantime, I know that Maddad is with two small resonators (instead of one big in N55 or 1M's) plus no cats. I think the Remus mids are with no cats and no resonators, straight pipe but I stand corrected.

Here a link:

http://www.remus.eu/shop-pkw/bmw/1-s...-aau-2007.html
Yeah I am waiting for Miula´s viedo too.

With what you say, I bet the remus midpipes would make it very loud. Maybe too loud?
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #98
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

[quote=ozinaldo;12092179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post

I am waiting miula to post his review about Remus mids. In the meantime, I know that Maddad is with two small resonators (instead of one big in N55 or 1M's) plus no cats. I think the Remus mids are with no cats and no resonators, straight pipe but I stand corrected.

Here a link:

http://www.remus.eu/shop-pkw/bmw/1-s...-aau-2007.html
I would think that the Remus mids will be VERY loud as no resonators... will be raspy & race sounding.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #99
miula
Private First Class
 
miula's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thumbs up UPDATE

The Remus Racing Replacement Tube is installed and LOUD!!!

But first I have to apologize to everyone because the pictures I took during the install and the comparison of the stock and Remus mid-pipes are not going to be available since I totally forgot to put a memory card on my camera; oops...

They are non-resonated, un-cated, stainless steel, black ceramic coated mid-pipes that look just like the picture below from the Remus website. They feel dramatically lighter than the stock pipes but I was unable to weigh them; but I could easily lug around the Remus tube and yet had a tough time carrying and storing the stock, I would guess at least a couple of pounds lighter because of the cat, muffler and flange delete.



Keep in mind that these mid-pipes do not have a flange to connect them to the factory cat-back exhaust and thus you wouldn't be able to install these by themselves like the N55 mid's. The Remus exhaust has a flange that is removable in order to connect it directly to the racing tube and the whole exhaust system bolts directly to the flanges on the factory DP.

Without further ado, here is the updated video adding the full system to the comparison and thus you have stock vs. Remus cat-back vs. full system. For some reason the difference is barely noticeable on the video (I guess camera mic. restriction) but in person there is a dramatic difference in dB and tone. It gargles much more, it is much louder and DOES DRONE SLIGHTLY between 1900 - 2100 rpm, however it bothers me less during highway driving; I assume it has less restriction and thus less resonance. However if drone drives you nuts I would stay away from this setup although it is much less drone than the stock setup...



If anybody is in or around Boston and wants to see/hear it, just let me know...

Once again thanks to Marco and the crew @ Turner Motorsports for a flawless job and to the guys at **********s for making sure I got the mid-pipes after all...
miula is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #100
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot for the video and info! I dont know what I would do without this type of reviews.. Very usefull and toughtfull. so thanks.

You are right, you cant really tell so much diference on the video. On your comments about the sound, you never say if you like the sound it makes with the full system.
So? How is it?

oh, and how much are the mid pipes? I couldnt find them online..

I installed my remus last friday (only rear) and I have 400 km already. I feel the sound could be a little bit louder... Thats why I am considering the mids but I dont want it to be crazy loud.

Would you say its 5%, 10%, 15% louder with mids?
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #101
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,832
iTrader: (0)

Thanks a lot for the write-up and video. Now I am feeling that maybe Remus exhaust plus N55 mids can be a good solution for people like me who doesn't want it that loud but with maximum benefits.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #102
miula
Private First Class
 
miula's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post
Thanks a lot for the video and info! I dont know what I would do without this type of reviews.. Very usefull and toughtfull. so thanks.

You are right, you cant really tell so much diference on the video. On your comments about the sound, you never say if you like the sound it makes with the full system.
So? How is it?

oh, and how much are the mid pipes? I couldnt find them online..

I installed my remus last friday (only rear) and I have 400 km already. I feel the sound could be a little bit louder... Thats why I am considering the mids but I dont want it to be crazy loud.

Would you say its 5%, 10%, 15% louder with mids?
I would say it is at least 20% - 30% louder if not more with the mid-pipe!!! The video really doesn't do it justice. On WOT on the road the sound is just unreal!!!

I am going to try and get some better video/sound on the weekend...

I paid $676.80 for the mid-pipes through the **********s group buy. I believe they are about $100 more than that usually. A couple of vendors on the classifieds section have them listed. PM if you need my vendor's contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Thanks a lot for the write-up and video. Now I am feeling that maybe Remus exhaust plus N55 mids can be a good solution for people like me who doesn't want it that loud but with maximum benefits.
The Remus and N55 mid's is a great combo from what I hear; but it will be loud just not as loud and crazy as the full Remus system...
miula is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #103
M3Power79
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Belgium

Posts: 441
iTrader: (0)

Thx for the usefull write-up! I'm really looking forward to drive by soundclips on WOT! Midpipes without resonator must be loud, my decatted mids from Milltek have a huge resonator before the muffler. I would like to remove it to but i changed my mind and will go for a catless downpipe, i hear alot of good things about the AR 3". Probably i'll have a increase in sound (+power gain) without the disadvantage of drone. I only worry about check engine lights...
__________________
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
M3Power79 is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #104
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
The Remus and N55 mid's is a great combo from what I hear; but it will be loud just not as loud and crazy as the full Remus system...
Good to know. My whole car vibrates for 15 secs on cold start-up with Remus + MadDad combo ... true that camera mic doesn't really capture it. I'd say N55 mids may be better option for those not wanting their Remus muffler to be too loud.

That said I am happy with mine, but is very loud in confined spaces

So seems order of loudness with mids may be N55 -> MD's -> Remus
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #105
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
I would say it is at least 20% - 30% louder if not more with the mid-pipe!!! The video really doesn't do it justice. On WOT on the road the sound is just unreal!!!

I am going to try and get some better video/sound on the weekend...

I paid $676.80 for the mid-pipes through the **********s group buy. I believe they are about $100 more than that usually. A couple of vendors on the classifieds section have them listed. PM if you need my vendor's contact info.



The Remus and N55 mid's is a great combo from what I hear; but it will be loud just not as loud and crazy as the full Remus system...
Thanks for the info. It seems it might be too loud for me. I may go with the N55.

Do you loose the BMW warranty putting the N55 or remus midpipe?
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #106
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post
Thanks for the info. It seems it might be too loud for me. I may go with the N55.

Do you loose the BMW warranty putting the N55 or remus midpipe?
Depends what the warranty issue is. It has to be proved that the mod caused the issue.... Highly unlikely with mid pipes or axle back.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #107
IZZY79
Private
 
Drives: 1M 2012 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mexico city

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Depends what the warranty issue is. It has to be proved that the mod caused the issue.... Highly unlikely with mid pipes or axle back.
I will just ask my dealer first cause they may be a little picky on that subject.
What about the engine light? Will it turn on?
IZZY79 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #108
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY79 View Post
I will just ask my dealer first cause they may be a little picky on that subject.
What about the engine light? Will it turn on?
My dealer said

No, only CEL if you remove cats on downpipes.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #109
M3Power79
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Belgium

Posts: 441
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
My dealer said

No, only CEL if you remove cats on downpipes.
Can they remove the CEL or do you have to life with that once you changed the downpipes?
__________________
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
M3Power79 is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #110
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
Can they remove the CEL or do you have to life with that once you changed the downpipes?
Yes, most tunes offer CEL delete. Or BMS sell a kit that does it too.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST