BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
 
Rachel's Avatar
 
Drives: better than the boys ;)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Westford, MA

Posts: 1,128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Brake Error Light, Reduced Power - Anyone??

So, I was autoxing recently and during my first run my car all of sudden shows a brake symbol with an exclamation point error light on the dash. The power is reduced and the revs jump from 1.5-2 up and down. I shut the car off, turn it back on and it's fine. Out of 16 runs it happened 8 times.
Also, I always turn both DSC/DTC off. I've been Autocrossing the car for 3 years, and have not had issues before.
Later in a run where I didn't get the error message, my brakes locked up - no ABS.
Took it to the dealer and they checked for faults.

- Engine Power reduced due to brake overheating (however, it was my first run and I doubt the brakes were hot, and it didn't happen in some of the later runs).
- There was also a wheel speed sensor fault. They have no idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
__________________

Last edited by Rachel; 06-28-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Rachel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,662
iTrader: (1)

Bad fluid?? no clue in this case...never heard/seen that happen when i track.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Focusedintntions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
 
Rachel's Avatar
 
Drives: better than the boys ;)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Westford, MA

Posts: 1,128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Bad fluid?? no clue in this case...never heard/seen that happen when i track.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have the ATE race fluid in there. Also, it happened when the car had been sitting for 2 hours.
__________________
Rachel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Southjersey128
Private First Class
 
Southjersey128's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 128i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Jersey

Posts: 176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
So, I was autoxing recently and during my first run my car all of sudden shows a brake symbol with an exclamation point error light on the dash. The power is reduced and the revs jump from 1.5-2 up and down. I shut the car off, turn it back on and it's fine. Out of 16 runs it happened 8 times.
Also, I always turn both DSC/DTC off. I've been Autocrossing the car for 3 years, and have not had issues before.
Later in a run where I didn't get the error message, my brakes locked up - no ABS.
Took it to the dealer and they checked for faults.

- Engine Power reduced due to brake overheating (however, it was my first run and I doubt the brakes were hot, and it didn't happen in some of the later runs).
- There was also a wheel speed sensor fault. They have no idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
The wheel speed sensor must have something to do with it. How else do you explain the code in the memory. Maybe it is failing intermittently. If they are cheap I would just change the sensor that threw the code. I would also try to find out what tells the computer that the brakes are overheating. Maybe it's part of the speed sensor.
__________________
AW, Coral, HID's, Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, 264M's, 225/255 Ventus V12's, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, LED angel eyes, Blacklines, Carbon fiber spoiler, Ambergones...
Southjersey128 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
 
Rachel's Avatar
 
Drives: better than the boys ;)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Westford, MA

Posts: 1,128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
The wheel speed sensor must have something to do with it. How else do you explain the code in the memory. Maybe it is failing intermittently. If they are cheap I would just change the sensor that threw the code. I would also try to find out what tells the computer that the brakes are overheating. Maybe it's part of the speed sensor.
Thanks, I was actually going to clean the wheel speed sensors to see if that makes a difference (a thought I found after searching a bunch). I also found out that the system uses a couple different things to guess if the brakes are overheating.
Wheel speed sensors, length of brake usage, pressure of brake usage, and ambient temperature.
Hopefully cleaning the wheels speed sensors will change things. If not, I can replace the ones that are registering the fault.
__________________
Rachel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST