BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
bglick
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW128I Convertible

Exclamation Unlocking the doors?

Hi All,

I just bought a 2008 128i convertible used, and the dealership I bought it from agreed to do some work on it, including the passenger door that wouldn't unlock. Only now, my doors automatically lock (which I love), but when I go to get out of my car, I have to pull my car door handle once to unlock the door and once to actually open the door. Is this normal? Should I contact the dealership? To be quite honest, it's a bit annoying and I don't know if that's normal or not for a BMW. Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
lnparks
United_States
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 135i M Sport

That is normal but I think you may be able to adjust the settings...not sure with your year...I'd check the manual.
      07-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
dan_brooks
Private
Australia
Rep

Drives: '09 135i Manual

Pulling it once to unlock the door, and once again to open the door is totally normal.
It's a safety feature stopping you from accidentally opening the door whilst driving. Once the fob's out of the dash the doors should unlock and you're away!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Dackelone
Germany
Rep

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Normal. You can also press the door lock button on the center dash vents to unlock/lock the car.

Btw... you can go into the BC (board computer) or iDrive(if your car has it) and select whether you want the doors to lock when you start to drive. You can also program if you want ALL the doors to unlock with the key fob or only the drivers door(and then on a second push) all the doors.

Read your owners manual - its your friend. Or go to BMW NA's website and watch the online manuals on BMW.tv
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
bglick
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW128I Convertible

Thanks, all! My car didn't come with the user manual since I bought it used, but I'll definitely be buying one online so I can learn how to operate my car efficiently. Thanks, everyone, for your great advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Dackelone
Germany
Rep

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Arrow Owner's Manuals

Here you go... online video manuals...

Owner's Manuals
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/dgh.aspx

BMW NA's Key fob video...
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...8-a9ebfa6d9187

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
James G
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 135i convertible

I found that getting in the habit of just unlocking the car with the key fob as I eject it is pretty convient and I usually even beat the passenger to the door handle although I do not have the convient access so the fob is allways in the dash.
      07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
alvitdk
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13' Nissan 370Z

Garage List
I just order the D-Can cable and studied the manual for NCS Expert. First thing to program is unlocking the doors after key removal

And of course opening the roof and folding mirrors with the remote, as well as some other nuisance like the seatbelt chime.
Also Ride: 11' Triumph Speedmaster, 73' Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
JimD
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 128i convertible

I happened to just program this last night. You want to set ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR from "nicht_activ" to "activ". You will find this in the "CAS" submodule of the software.

The neater change, at least to me, is to set a couple things so the top will lower if you hold the door open button on the key fob.

"Coding" the car is not hard once you have the cable and software and get things working. The cable is $100 and the recommended path to the software has some download fees. So there is an investment involved. There is also a time investment getting things working. But once you get there, it if kind of fun. Any you can easily recoup your investment when you need a new battery.

Jim
      07-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
alvitdk
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13' Nissan 370Z

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I happened to just program this last night. You want to set ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR from "nicht_activ" to "activ". You will find this in the "CAS" submodule of the software.

The neater change, at least to me, is to set a couple things so the top will lower if you hold the door open button on the key fob.

"Coding" the car is not hard once you have the cable and software and get things working. The cable is $100 and the recommended path to the software has some download fees. So there is an investment involved. There is also a time investment getting things working. But once you get there, it if kind of fun. Any you can easily recoup your investment when you need a new battery.

Jim
haha, it will be my coming weekend project. I ordered the cable yesterday and thanks to the fact I am fluent in German, having lived there for 20+ Years, I should be able to figure out all the coding abbreviations

A++ on the Battery, even though they just replaced it under warranty. Looking through the BMW Coding forum, it seems like nobody had any success yet on coding the roof top to close via remote, opening only. Given the fact that my brothers 3 series in Berlin does it both ways, there must be a way, just waiting to be discovered.
Also Ride: 11' Triumph Speedmaster, 73' Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
JimD
Colonel
Rep

There are some things at the bottom of page 2 of the thread on the bmw coding forum (for convertibles) that seem worth investigating but I haven't made the time yet. Given how it works on the e88 for opening, it seems likely that there are two changes necessary to permit closing with the fob. What I think may be one of them I comment on in the same thread, 3rd page, but the other remains to be discovered.

I also like the digital speedometer (in Kombi, not CAS in my car) and eliminating the speed "correction". Eliminating the correction makes the digital speedometer agree with the GPS well but the analog is still high by several miles per hour. I found a setting for the counts per kilometer for speedometer I want to check out but I haven't even figured out what module it is in.

I'm happy with the changes I've made and I think they are more significant than the ones I haven't made yet but this stuff gets a little addictive. When it works it's great and when it doesn't it makes me want to mess around and make it work. Understanding German would be a big help. There are help files for at least some of the software but it is in German and thus not useful to me.

Jim
      07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
golf_234
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90

almost all german cars do this.

I made a thread about it on the e46 forum about it being my biggest pet peeve when people pull on the handle, get confused, pull harder as though they are going to rip the #@$#@$ door out of the socket. i always unlock mine manually before i stop now. lol i like the feature though, people are just stupid.
      07-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
JimD
Colonel
Rep

With one little coding change, your doors unlock when you take the key out. Nice. I did not set my doors to autolock until I knew it how to set it to auto unlock.