BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
uberschnell
Brigadier General
 
uberschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: // 135i //, X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 3,423
iTrader: (44)

I've been looking for a spoiler and wouldn't mind saving a few $$ over oem, but in a couple of pictures it looks like you have a decent sized gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the trunk surface. I thought I also noticed that in the for sale photos from JB also.

Is it as bad in person? Also, do you think it might be because of the 3m tape underneath or the overall shape of the part?

I've seen some oem ones and they seem to fit water tight st the edge.
__________________
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

Still waiting for my spoiler. I PM'd them early last week, they said it would ship late last week, or early this week. It's mid week, and they have not responded to the PM I sent on Tuesday.

Not happy. Sure would love to get the spoiler I paid for over a month and a half ago.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
Eddie135
N55 Commando
 
Eddie135's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 745
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
It is worthpaying the extra $$$ for the OEM ones, fitment is spot on and quality is 100%.
Eddie135 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
cooler2442
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

Posts: 3,818
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Still waiting for my spoiler. I PM'd them early last week, they said it would ship late last week, or early this week. It's mid week, and they have not responded to the PM I sent on Tuesday.

Not happy. Sure would love to get the spoiler I paid for over a month and a half ago.
Most likely these spoilers are made in China and they ran out of stock here in the U.S. So a new crate filled with them and other parts has to arrive first. Which is why Chinese stuff is usually not so good quality / takes a while.
__________________
cooler2442 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #27
crbalch
DON
 
crbalch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AW 135i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-2MANY View Post
Just got a painted one from them. I'll take some pics of the paint quality/ fitment as well. Greenkirby21, what type of alcohol did you use to prep? Thanks
how was the paint quality and fitment? I am potentially going to get one in AW
__________________


crbalch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #28
Satalite
Colonel
 
Satalite's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,882
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
It is worthpaying the extra $$$ for the OEM ones, fitment is spot on and quality is 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I've been looking for a spoiler and wouldn't mind saving a few $$ over oem, but in a couple of pictures it looks like you have a decent sized gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the trunk surface. I thought I also noticed that in the for sale photos from JB also.

Is it as bad in person? Also, do you think it might be because of the 3m tape underneath or the overall shape of the part?

I've seen some oem ones and they seem to fit water tight st the edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
how was the paint quality and fitment? I am potentially going to get one in AW
The only potential downside is "yellowing" of the clear coat over time. OEM you can guarantee that it won't yellow.
__________________
Satalite is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #29
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

Just got an email saying the spoiler is shipped. I'll post pics of the part and install.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #30
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
I've been looking for a spoiler and wouldn't mind saving a few $$ over oem, but in a couple of pictures it looks like you have a decent sized gap between the leading edge of the spoiler and the trunk surface. I thought I also noticed that in the for sale photos from JB also.

Is it as bad in person? Also, do you think it might be because of the 3m tape underneath or the overall shape of the part?

I've seen some oem ones and they seem to fit water tight st the edge.
can't see it in person unless u look at it from a weird angle(I.E open the trunk).
I think the reason is because it needs more tape? There is no double sided tape on the corners, so I think that is why it lifts up because its not as level.

So far, it has been good and stuck. i should clean it as it is a bit dirty right now hehe
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

I finally recieved my JBspped rear trunk spoiler. It looks good, quality and finish look good. No "holidays", or clear spots visible when held up to the light.

The front edge is a little warbly, but if the adhesive does it's job and holds the front edge firmly to the trunk, it should be fine.

I know the stock, and most aftermarket spoilers are held on with double sided adhesive tape usually. I am wondering if a rubber type glue can be used?

She Goo, and "Amazing Goop" basically the same thing as Shoe Goo, are rubber based glues. I have used these glues for many things, and they are amazing glues.

I've thinned them out with Toluene, which i believe is the solvent agent in these glues, and I'm wondering, if I use Amazing Goop to install my new spoiler, does anyone think that the solvent might affect the paint?
Gasoline has toluene in it, and drops of gas from the gas pump don't seem to affect the paint, but the glue would have the solvent in contact with the paint for a longer time until the glue cures.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I finally recieved my JBspped rear trunk spoiler. It looks good, quality and finish look good. No "holidays", or clear spots visible when held up to the light.

The front edge is a little warbly, but if the adhesive does it's job and holds the front edge firmly to the trunk, it should be fine.

I know the stock, and most aftermarket spoilers are held on with double sided adhesive tape usually. I am wondering if a rubber type glue can be used?

She Goo, and "Amazing Goop" basically the same thing as Shoe Goo, are rubber based glues. I have used these glues for many things, and they are amazing glues.

I've thinned them out with Toluene, which i believe is the solvent agent in these glues, and I'm wondering, if I use Amazing Goop to install my new spoiler, does anyone think that the solvent might affect the paint?
Gasoline has toluene in it, and drops of gas from the gas pump don't seem to affect the paint, but the glue would have the solvent in contact with the paint for a longer time until the glue cures.
If you want to use glue, then I would use the OEM betalink that they use to put on the OEM performance spoiler.

http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/bmw-a...r-spoiler.html
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #33
uberschnell
Brigadier General
 
uberschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: // 135i //, X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 3,423
iTrader: (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
If you want to use glue, then I would use the OEM betalink that they use to put on the OEM performance spoiler.

http://www.unitedbmwonline.com/bmw-a...r-spoiler.html
This stuff is permanent. Once it dries it will not come off without screwing up your paint.
__________________
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is online now   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #34
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

I'm going to do a test of the Goop glue on some inconspicuous spot and see if it affects the paint. One good thing about Goop is that it can be undone with a dab of toluene.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

I am in the process of trying to install my JBspeed rear wing.

The fit is OK. The wing doesn't just "fit", as it needs to be tweeked at the edges for them to stay down and flat.

The double sided tape sticks with authority on the smooth rear contact area of the wing, but the front area is rough, and I'm not sure if the tape will be able to hold the tips/edges down. The way the wing fits, the tips will be under tension, and I fear that they'll lift up once the car is exposed to the sun/heat.

At this point, I am tempted to use the glue, instead of just the supplied double-sided tape.

I'm going to test the GOOP glue, and if it doesn't hurt the paint, I'll use it on the front edges and tips.

Once i figure this issue out, the wing looks like it should fit well and look good.
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
mike the snake
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 512
iTrader: (1)

Wing install complete. I set the wing on the trunk outside, in the sunlight, and it softened and was easier to flex it and get it to fit nicely.

Overall, the fit is good, looks great, I am happy with this purchase.
Attached Images
  
mike the snake is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
congrats
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
FIRST1
Captain
 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

Posts: 729
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Wing install complete. I set the wing on the trunk outside, in the sunlight, and it softened and was easier to flex it and get it to fit nicely.

Overall, the fit is good, looks great, I am happy with this purchase.
So what was the final decision? You used "goop" glue to apply the spoiler?
__________________
FIRST1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #39
Chazzyfizzle
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Torrington, CT

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the review. I ordered one for my Le Mans Blue 128. Just installed it. Very sturdy and looks great!
Chazzyfizzle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carbon, e82, fiber, jbspeed, spoiler

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST