BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

19" Wheel Question

Hey guys, I just picked up 08 135i and its the best car ever. I'm a total n00b with wheels as I've never done aftermarket rims cause my previous car had factory sport rims. I really like the look of a 19" wheel on the car but everyone runs a different tire size here so its hard to gauge the correct size. I was wondering what would be the best set up for a non lowered and I don't think I have a sport package (how would I tell without the window sticker?) 1er in either a Alf setup or VMR. I don't plan on lowering and I don't want to roll my fenders, so no rubbing is what i'm looking for too. All help is appreciated. Thanks guys!
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
135Pats
Need more fuel
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,050
iTrader: (1)

PM VMR, they're very active on the boards and can assist you with finding the right 19s...Aesthetically, the V710s look pretty sharp on the 1, you don't have to go far to find examples here with various fitments of wheel and tire.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Will do, thanks Pats!
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,360
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
If you aren't lowering, I'd just stick with 18's or your car is going to look a bit high/floaty
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
If you aren't lowering, I'd just stick with 18's or your car is going to look a bit high/floaty
even if I have a sport package? Won't lowering it though cause rub or force me to roll the fenders? I might lower in the future but it won't be for awhile as money is tight these days.
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,360
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerFL View Post
even if I have a sport package? Won't lowering it though cause rub or force me to roll the fenders? I might lower in the future but it won't be for awhile as money is tight these days.
You shouldnt rub if the offsets are right and the tires are reasonable size. I don't know i've had 18s and 19s and 18s look better to me on these small cars.
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
You shouldnt rub if the offsets are right and the tires are reasonable size. I don't know i've had 18s and 19s and 18s look better to me on these small cars.
Is the car in your pic on 18's or 19's? Are you lowered? I'm just asking all possible questions because I don't want to regret getting the wrong size lol
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,360
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
that pic is 19's which look good still check my garage...silver = 18s
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
1speedbike
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Not trying to argue or anything, but I personally would actually think that if you're not lowering, 19"s are better than 18"s. I don't know if you'd look up too high or anything, but if the car isn't lowered, you'll have much more room for running fatter 19" rims versus someone who is lowered and would rub with the same wheels. Gives you some added security against rubbing, and you'll probably have more wheel options available.

VMR is a good source for CSL style rims. You can check out tirerack.com and plug in the specs of the car and they'll give you a nice list of all the rim sizes and tires sizes that should fit. They have pretty good selection, too. If you have a lot of money to spend, you can get some nice custom wheels from CCW, HRE, BBS, or something similar.

Just for the ballpark, your front wheels will likely end up being between 7.5 and 8.5 inches wide, with a +35-45 mm offset, and your back wheels will probably end up being between 8 and 9.5 inches wide, with a +45-60 mm offset. This doesn't have to be staggered. 19x8.5 wheels with +45 offset, for example, fit fine in the front and back if you want a square setup. Most things in that range should fit fine on a stock suspension.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Not trying to argue or anything, but I personally would actually think that if you're not lowering, 19"s are better than 18"s. I don't know if you'd look up too high or anything, but if the car isn't lowered, you'll have much more room for running fatter 19" rims versus someone who is lowered and would rub with the same wheels. Gives you some added security against rubbing, and you'll probably have more wheel options available.

VMR is a good source for CSL style rims. You can check out tirerack.com and plug in the specs of the car and they'll give you a nice list of all the rim sizes and tires sizes that should fit. They have pretty good selection, too. If you have a lot of money to spend, you can get some nice custom wheels from CCW, HRE, BBS, or something similar.

Just for the ballpark, your front wheels will likely end up being between 7.5 and 8.5 inches wide, with a +35-45 mm offset, and your back wheels will probably end up being between 8 and 9.5 inches wide, with a +45-60 mm offset. This doesn't have to be staggered. 19x8.5 wheels with +45 offset, for example, fit fine in the front and back if you want a square setup. Most things in that range should fit fine on a stock suspension.
I thought the same thing, I figured the sport suspension sits a little bit lower than a non sport suspension and that 19's would be a good fit being that i'm not looking to lower immediately. I just don't want the wheels poking out. I pm'd VMR and asked them what the best set up would be for my situation based on their experience, so now its the waiting game I guess, I appreciate all the help guys, it's helping me for sure!
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
cooler2442
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

Posts: 3,814
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
I've had 4 different sets of rims already. The best looking yet cheapest rims for our cars are the 19" Alufelgen SF71's like in my sig.

If you have a bit more money then the best looking rims are the Advan RZ's / RS's that infinitekid is running which look good in both 18 and 19.

And then if you have a ton of money almost any custom BBS / Volk's / HRE's will look good.

None of the rims will rub on your car when you lower it as long as you don't go to crazy on tire sizes.
__________________
cooler2442 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
I've had 4 different sets of rims already. The best looking yet cheapest rims for our cars are the 19" Alufelgen SF71's like in my sig.

If you have a bit more money then the best looking rims are the Advan RZ's / RS's that infinitekid is running which look good in both 18 and 19.

And then if you have a ton of money almost any custom BBS / Volk's / HRE's will look good.

None of the rims will rub on your car when you lower it as long as you don't go to crazy on tire sizes.
I absolutely love how your car looks in the sig, if I went with the Alufelgen SF71's what tires should I get that would work for no rub but still have good performance rain or shine being I live in Orlando where it rains anytime
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
1speedbike
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Forgot about alufelgen. VMR are nice wheels, but I personally feel like alufelgen is a step up. Not into HRE territory or anything, but they're a nice wheel.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
cooler2442
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

Posts: 3,814
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerFL View Post
I absolutely love how your car looks in the sig, if I went with the Alufelgen SF71's what tires should I get that would work for no rub but still have good performance rain or shine being I live in Orlando where it rains anytime
Hankook V12's should be fine. I ran 225/35 and 265/30 on mine with the Hankook's. No rub in the front but had some rub in the rear which is gone after a slight fender roll. So if you want no rubbing at all then just go one size lower in the rear.
__________________
cooler2442 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #15
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Hankook V12's should be fine. I ran 225/35 and 265/30 on mine with the Hankook's. No rub in the front but had some rub in the rear which is gone after a slight fender roll. So if you want no rubbing at all then just go one size lower in the rear.
so 255/30 in the rear is what I should do? and were your's 8.5F and 9.5R?
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
cooler2442
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '11 135 Sport DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Valley, Los Angeles

Posts: 3,814
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to cooler2442 Send a message via Skype™ to cooler2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerFL View Post
so 255/30 in the rear is what I should do? and were your's 8.5F and 9.5R?
Yup I think 255/30 should work fine without issues since the 265/30 was just minor rubbing.

I don't remember the sizes since I already sold the wheels but they are the specific 135i offset sizes. Any vendor who carries the Alufelgen line should be able to give you the correct ones if you just say you need the 135i offset ones.
__________________
cooler2442 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Yup I think 255/30 should work fine without issues since the 265/30 was just minor rubbing.

I don't remember the sizes since I already sold the wheels but they are the specific 135i offset sizes. Any vendor who carries the Alufelgen line should be able to give you the correct ones if you just say you need the 135i offset ones.
Awesome, thanks Cooler, I've seen you help many people on here and I greatly appreciate it and the rest of the members who responded with answers!

I'll be sure to let everyone know what I end up getting and post some pics once they're on.
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
Eins Suchtig
Private
 
Eins Suchtig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

Posts: 76
iTrader: (2)

Alufelgen SF-71's are 8"- 45 mm offset on front, and 9" - 48 mm offset on the rear, making them perfect 19" wheel for the 1 series in my opinion, as I don't like wheels protruding out of the fender.
Eins Suchtig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
GreggerFL
Der Große Böse Wolf
 
GreggerFL's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BSM 135i(gone)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eins Suchtig View Post
Alufelgen SF-71's are 8"- 45 mm offset on front, and 9" - 48 mm offset on the rear, making them perfect 19" wheel for the 1 series in my opinion, as I don't like wheels protruding out of the fender.
I was looking at that size and I don't want them to look under fitting if that makes any sense, I searched the sticky about wheel fitments at the top but I didn't see anyone with that fitment, its always 8.5F 9.5R
GreggerFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Eyeman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Gregger, an 8" or 8.5" wheel with a 225 tire would still have the tire width and look about the same. You go wider in wheels so you can go wider in tires but our cars really won't support very wide tires. So most of us with the wider wheel sizes really are just running undersized tires. Also for future reference, many tire companies measure tires fairly differently. So a 255 Falken or Toyo for example doesn't look as wide as many manufacturers 245s. You can get lotsa good specs on tires on Tirerack.com.

Forgestars are another brand of wheels that fit our cars well. Good luck!
__________________
BSM, Blk leather, 30%tint, Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, Nitto 555 225/35fr PSS 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, rearseat removal, iCarbon diffuser and front lip, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille
Eyeman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
510135
Captain
 
Drives: 428i MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Earth

Posts: 774
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggerFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eins Suchtig View Post
Alufelgen SF-71's are 8"- 45 mm offset on front, and 9" - 48 mm offset on the rear, making them perfect 19" wheel for the 1 series in my opinion, as I don't like wheels protruding out of the fender.
I was looking at that size and I don't want them to look under fitting if that makes any sense, I searched the sticky about wheel fitments at the top but I didn't see anyone with that fitment, its always 8.5F 9.5R
I'm running 19x8.5 ET 45 front with 235 tyre and 19x9.5 ET 50 rear with 255 tyre. My car is low and it scrubs slightly. Keep in mind the tyre brand you buy, Michelin PSS run a bit wider, I have Kumho KU39 and they are not as wide even with same specs.
510135 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
totobmw
New Member
 
totobmw's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Hi,
I have just recently ordered a set of V710s for my 135i with rears 255/30/19 Michelin super sport rubber.
Firstly who has used this set up with these tires and have they seen any rubbing? I have no problem with rolling the guards, though want to know if it is necessary.

Also in regards to ther VMR 710 centre cap, I would like to keep the BMW centre cap, other than the VMR one. Does the OEM BMW badge fit directly on, or do I need to buy aftermarket and if so what is the dimensions for fitting?
totobmw is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST