BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
1M has high flow cats in downpipe???

Does the 1M have high flow cats in the downpipes?
I have read elsewhere that the 1M had high flow cats but was wondering if there was any data to back that up.

From looking at realoem, the 1M cats versus the 135 n54 cats, they have different part numbers for sure.

1M
01 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 1-3 1 18307980403
02 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 4-6 1 18307980404

135 N54 Engine
01 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 1-3 1 18307553594 $957.00
02 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 4-6 1 18307553595 $957.00
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,382
iTrader: (1)

Yes, the 1M has higher flow cats - so it has been reported before.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,510
iTrader: (0)

And it's interesting that there was not even a whisper of this difference during all of pre-production hype generated by BMW, while other suggested differences (piston rings, etc) proved not to be.

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
p66
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

Posts: 238
iTrader: (1)

A tuner shop dyno'd the AR dp's with race cats and generated insignificant gains over stock. With and without a tune. Would support the evidence that 1M has higher flow cats than 135i.

Don't ask me for graphs, or names, places and dates. I don't have them. I was considering getting the AR's and was advised to save my money. Coming from the tuner himself, that sells the product, made an impression on me.
p66 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant
 
OrangeCrush's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

I have smelled the non cat/ high flow cat smell on numerous occasions. I have also heard this and though it was caused by this. Either that or my car is fucked up.
OrangeCrush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant
 
OrangeCrush's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
A tuner shop dyno'd the AR dp's with race cats and generated insignificant gains over stock. With and without a tune. Would support the evidence that 1M has higher flow cats than 135i.

Don't ask me for graphs, or names, places and dates. I don't have them. I was considering getting the AR's and was advised to save my money. Coming from the tuner himself, that sells the product, made an impression on me.
I think it was GIAC, they said we didn't need to update the downpipes for one of thier more aggressive tunes because of the highflow cats of the 1m
OrangeCrush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,557
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Does the 1M have high flow cats in the downpipes?
I have read elsewhere that the 1M had high flow cats but was wondering if there was any data to back that up.

From looking at realoem, the 1M cats versus the 135 n54 cats, they have different part numbers for sure.

1M
01 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 1-3 1 18307980403
02 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 4-6 1 18307980404

135 N54 Engine
01 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 1-3 1 18307553594 $957.00
02 Rmfd primary catalytic converter ZYL. 4-6 1 18307553595 $957.00
Its here..

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691143

and here..

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702209
__________________
ZUZETTE Build..http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606023
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . SSK . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Gtrain
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: something slowwwww
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (21)

Send a message via AIM to Gtrain
Thanks for all the info. I was wondering if there were any hard facts on this, that's all.

Thanks again
Gtrain is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
flzrider
Captain
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 658
iTrader: (1)

Never knew this. Learned something today.
__________________
flzrider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru
 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC

Posts: 4,303
iTrader: (19)

Good stuff to know! I guess I know why I haven't sold a set to a 1M driver yet!
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Rich@GTBPerformance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
1Mpressive
New Member
 
1Mpressive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Good info! a

Not to thread jack but i had a question for those with Akrapovic... Do you get the same or similar sound as heard on the Alekshop Akra video without the aftermarket cats? More specific do you hear the turbo spool up like in the video with the factory cats and say the akrapovic mid and rear sections? ...with wireless of course
1Mpressive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,105
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
In order to hear the turbos spool up on any exhaust, you have to go catless.
__________________
_______________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP/AW/Ohlins R&T
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
In order to hear the turbos spool up on any exhaust, you have to go catless.
in many cases it also means raspy sound I hate... and gas smell.
-Z- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,510
iTrader: (0)

I had the opportunity to to a side-by-side comparison of 1M downpipes and other N54 downpipes this weekend.

Other than different numbers etched into the cat, externally they are identical. And no difference was obvious looking through the pipe at the cat substrate.

However, we put them on a scale and the 1M cats weighed less than the other (7.6 lbs v 8.0 lbs).

This difference may be related to the much higher mileage of the "regular" N54 downpipe or it may be the the 1M cat substrate is less dense and, for that reason, higher flowing. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,833
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I had the opportunity to to a side-by-side comparison of 1M downpipes and other N54 downpipes this weekend.

Other than different numbers etched into the cat, externally they are identical. And no difference was obvious looking through the pipe at the cat substrate.

However, we put them on a scale and the 1M cats weighed less than the other (7.6 lbs v 8.0 lbs).

This difference may be related to the much higher mileage of the "regular" N54 downpipe or it may be the the 1M cat substrate is less dense and, for that reason, higher flowing. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Neil
Thanks, that's good information. Advan in Sydney has confirmed that too. However, GIAC's work indicate that it is higher flow.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PunjabiM3's Avatar
 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (1)

Good info! Any figures for how much catless DP's would add power wise with tune over the stock DP's?
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Capristo X-Pipe, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, R8 GT tails, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2015 BMW X5 35d, Mineral White
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

So if the 1M has higher flowing cats, does this mean we can run the Cobb Stage II/Stage II+ mods if we have all the other mods?
__________________
2011 Valencia Orange 1M - Weekend Warrior
2013 Acura RDX - Daily
ADVANT123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Posts: 3,052
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
So if the 1M has higher flowing cats, does this mean we can run the Cobb Stage II/Stage II+ mods if we have all the other mods?
GIAC was saying that stock DPs are enough (though a catless alternative would be the better solution) for their Stage 2 tune so should be others.
ozinaldo is offline   Portugal
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,261
iTrader: (29)

We only saw 8-12 whp with high flow cats vs stock.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: CSL M3 / 1M AW
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 1,660
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We only saw 8-12 whp with high flow cats vs stock.
I came back from UK a few weeks ago and had a chance to talk to one of the tuner's there. Their test on a UK 1M showed using DP and using the stock catted section gave positive gains as well as allowed the turbos to spool faster.

Any testing with that combo? Would like to compare notes and see on a US car if it did do anything different.
__________________

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
E46 M3 GTR Street Car - Build Journal
m3dragon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
cbl117
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 198
iTrader: (1)

I've searched and this was the only thread I could find on this question...

If I have a N54 135i, is it worth swapping my downpipes for 1M downpipes to gain performance, not have a CEL and pass emmisions?
cbl117 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,261
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
I've searched and this was the only thread I could find on this question...

If I have a N54 135i, is it worth swapping my downpipes for 1M downpipes to gain performance, not have a CEL and pass emmisions?
If you can find them cheap. You will likely gain about 10 hp by the switch. The alternative is just to save the money and put it towards a cat-back exhaust, intake of a proper software flash for the car.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST