BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #199
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I thought I would bring this up as you don't plan to ever go catless dp's.
As Vinney has mentioned "the philosophy" a couple of times, I would like to clarify what that philosophy is.

1. The car can be driven from street to track and track to street without modification. It can be both streetable and trackable.
2. The car can be legally driven on the street, and the comfort is at least the same as stock.
3. If BMW engineer's do not have to stick to a budget, and can sell the car at whatever price they want, what would they put on the car.
4. Majority spent on the mods will be form follows function. For example, the grilles, and gills cost a lot less than my wheels. That's also the reason why I question the logic behind a GruppeM CAI over aFe. Is the $1600 extra going to be for function or is it for bling?

For clarification, I said that I am unsure of catless dps because it is against my mod philosophy.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com

Last edited by sparoz; 08-26-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #200
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
What's wrong with a cf hood? I'm looking to get an m3style vented cf hood to try an get some better air circulation/heat extraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
I believe they don't pass ADRs as the carbon fibre can 'snap' upon impact rather than crumple. This is why the RS3 never made it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Porsche have sold the GT3 RS' here with CF bonnets.
There is no specific ADR restriction on CF hoods. However, poorly designed CF hoods certainly doesn't comply with ADRs for pedestrian safety - they would be those cosmetic types CF that Kenny is talking about. Ie, there actually isn't much on the market currently that is acceptable.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #201
BMW86
Major General
Australia
188

 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia


Posts: 8,956
iTrader: (0)

Everything I have come across in my research says there is issues with running aftermarket cf hoods. I doubt you can rely on saying a GT3 RS has a cf hood if you get pulled over. Not my rules, just stating what I know already. You can have a custom fibreglass hood made that complies with ADR but it will cost $$$ and there will be some down time.

If unsure, call Dept of Transport.

Also you've mentioned a few times you want to keep your car street legal but uncertain about catless dp's which are illegal. Doubt anyone would ever pick up on it but having a CF bonnet is illegal and very noticeable. At least dp's are discreet.

Not saying you shouldn't do any of these mods, but they are clearly illegal when your philosophy is about being street legal.

My philosophy is building a decent street/track car. One that I can drive every day of the week and take to track. Only things I ever need to change are wheels/tyres and drop the oil/filter and brake fluid after each event.
__________________
BMW 135i N54
MERCEDES CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #202
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
132

 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia


Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (0)

Won't engineers certification address the questionable items such as CF bonnets te etc?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #203
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Everything I have come across in my research says there is issues with running aftermarket cf hoods. I doubt you can rely on saying a GT3 RS has a cf hood if you get pulled over. Not my rules, just stating what I know already. You can have a custom fibreglass hood made that complies with ADR but it will cost $$$ and there will be some down time.

If unsure, call Dept of Transport.

Also you've mentioned a few times you want to keep your car street legal but uncertain about catless dp's which are illegal. Doubt anyone would ever pick up on it but having a CF bonnet is illegal and very noticeable. At least dp's are discreet.

Not saying you shouldn't do any of these mods, but they are clearly illegal when your philosophy is about being street legal.

My philosophy is building a decent street/track car. One that I can drive every day of the week and take to track. Only things I ever need to change are wheels/tyres and drop the oil/filter and brake fluid after each event.
Thanks Vinney. I can assure you that any CF parts that might feature in my car will be legal in Qld, and other states, and also comply with ADRs. If you read my previous post, there is a clear reason why I cannot use any existing products currently already on the market.

These safety requirements means that you cannot just scan a bonnet, modify it in a CAD, mill the mould out and just lay any CF and cure it. The whole component including attachments needs to be redesigned because CF has different properties to steel or aluminium. This means a lot more cost involve than the Revozport, or a Seibon, or a Vis which are really cosmetic based product.

There are certainly legal (and safety!) issues with aftermarket CF hoods, but it is not a blanket rule and there is no rule in the legislation against a hood made of any specific material. The hood, needs to comply to the safety standard in the ADRs for both occupants and pedestrians.

My target is GT3 times - not sure if I will get there, but that's the aim.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #204
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Won't engineers certification address the questionable items such as CF bonnets te etc?
Yes in certain states. In qld, any modification of body parts needs to be approved also by the Department of Transport so engineering report is not good enough. You have to supply all the evidence that it complies with the ADRs and most importantly, it doesn't post any safety concerns for any third party or occupants in the vehicle.

I believe in RTA all you need is an engineering report that the hood is made of a good standard (in engineering terms). The specific requirement is that things can't be caught in the vents if there is any.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #205
BMW86
Major General
Australia
188

 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia


Posts: 8,956
iTrader: (0)

Okay, just thought I'd mention it incase you didn't know as you want to head down the legal path, but you already seem to have it covered

If it were me I'd go with what's already available, you're only illegal if you get caught

Btw, the Revosport 1M that was at the last club run needs to jump on here and post some photos. His car looked fantastic.

I'm sure you'll have one of the best 1M's going around when you're finished with it Steve.
__________________
BMW 135i N54
MERCEDES CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #206
Curare86
Lieutenant
11

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: perth


Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

hey sparoz, maybe I missed it, but what size PSS's did you end up paring with the Ri-ds and do you have any rubbing issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #207
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
hey sparoz, maybe I missed it, but what size PSS's did you end up paring with the Ri-ds and do you have any rubbing issues?
I went with stock size. 245/35 and 265/35. I already have rubbing issues before at a certain incline at full lock before I changed over. It might be a little bit worst, but only on an uphill incline and at full lock. The Ri-ds have slightly wider offsets in the front by 9mm.

There is a thread comparing the PSS and some Pirellis the 295s are as wide as the 305s. So I think it is the combination of both which is the issue. Only time it rubs for me is when I pull in or out of my driveway.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #208
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

So weight savings are about 3kg per wheel?

This is a great thread for those seeking wheel info for M3/1M
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265756
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #209
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
29

 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia


Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

That's BBS FI. Sparoz's is RI-D, which are essentially lightweight FI.

They are made of a special military aircraft grade alloy and forged through a rather unique process. Hence the price/weight/strength.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #210
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
That's BBS FI. Sparoz's is RI-D, which are essentially lightweight FI.

They are made of a special military aircraft grade alloy and forged through a rather unique process. Hence the price/weight/strength.
Cool... made from alloy called "Duralumin", so what's their weight? EDIT: 7.5kgs

The Advans @ ~8kg seem the lightest... so saving 4kg per wheel. Don't look as good as Sparoz's wheels though.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #211
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
29

 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia


Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Cool... made from alloy called "Duralumin", so what's their weight? EDIT: 7.5kgs

The Advans @ ~8kg seem the lightest... so saving 4kg per wheel. Don't look as good as Sparoz's wheels though.
Yep, that's the one! So I'm guessing it's the lightest wheel out there at 7.5kg? I think the overall unsprung saving was about 20kg with RI-D and the lighter PSS. Possibly the most cost effective upgrade to handling??

Going by the caption - the wheel above is from the GT2 hence the centre locking hub.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #212
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Yep, that's the one! So I'm guessing it's the lightest wheel out there at 7.5kg? I think the overall unsprung saving was about 20kg with RI-D and the lighter PSS. Possibly the most cost effective upgrade to handling??

Going by the caption - the wheel above is from the GT2 hence the centre locking hub.
BBS Ri-Ds are 7.2kg fronts and 7.5kg rears. When I calculated for my review, it was combine unsprung savings of 19.2kg.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #213
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
29

 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia


Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
BBS Ri-Ds are 7.2kg fronts and 7.5kg rears. When I calculated for my review, it was combine unsprung savings of 19.2kg.
That is just a brilliant saving. I will probably get a set when it comes time to change my tyres.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #214
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
That is just a brilliant saving. I will probably get a set when it comes time to change my tyres.
Awesome . How's your other car coming along?
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #215
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
29

 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia


Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Awesome . How's your other car coming along?
Which one? English or German?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #216
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Which one? English or German?
English .
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #217
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
14

 
saurabh_turingMS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney


Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Are we talking blue English like Noble, or worldly English like Mini?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #218
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverma View Post
Are we talking blue English like Noble, or worldly English like Mini?
Not for me to divulge. Up to alik01
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #219
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
132

 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia


Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (0)

Morgan, sweet
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #220
jaffa12
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
27

 
Drives: 1M, M235i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney


Posts: 1,533
iTrader: (0)

Kamahl, Track, Exige
__________________
|Donald|e30is|e46|e46m|r32|e82m|amg45|f22|
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST