BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Which aftermarket suspension ?

Hiiii all 1Addicts ! I didn't post there since a long time ago but I still go on the forum every day (did I hear addicted :P ?).


I come finally back from my trip in Italy (I did a short step in the BMW Welt but it was very hard to take time to visit correctly the museum ) and the little mountain roads made me think I really have to change my suspension !


I have a set of 18" VMR VB3 in 8.5" front and 9.5" rear with Hankook Ventus V12 225/40 front and 255/35 rear.


First, I wanted to change just the springs but after having read a lot of informations, I think that's not a good idea .


Now I would like to find the best compromize for me :
- not too expensive
- not harsh and bouncy at all
- it could be a bit more comfortable
- the car have to be "placed on rails" when I drive : I find the nose not precise enought and the car don't turn flat when I'm hard cornering
- I don't want to have a impressive drop (just 25 or 30mm maximum)


I'm thinking about the Bilstein B12 Prokit or about the Bilstein B14. I just have a fear with them : rubbing ... But I rubbed a bit the last month in the moutain roads when I have a person or two with me and now nothing (I think I filed down the rear fenders).
Perhaps with an alignment that would be OK ?

The springs are firmer aren't them ?


I wouldn't like to have to roll my fender 'cause I read that would be very pricy : Oliver_TFE paid 1000€ (1240$) to roll them ...


I will probabely buy a M3 or H&R antiroll bar too in order to have a very precise front (but I don't want to have a heavier one).


And last but not least I can have the B12 Prokit for 590€ (730$) and the B14 for 850€ (1050$).



What do you advise me to do ? Is there something better ? I'm looking to change it since last May and still have no ideas ...

Thank's in advance guys !



Fidi'

Last edited by Fidiman; 08-17-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 1,603
iTrader: (0)

ST coil over and front sway bar upgrades are your best bet.
__________________
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
My135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Thaks for your quick response

I know ST coils seems to be very good but I fear to be too low with them Moreover they seem to be impossible to find in Europe ...

Which front sway bar would you recommand me ?

Last edited by Fidiman; 08-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 1,603
iTrader: (0)

ST (Or KW V1 the same) is hight adjustable and I had Hotchkis front sway bar on my 1.
__________________
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
My135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
I heard that KW v1 aren't as good as Bilstein are

Moreover, a member told me it was better to upgrade the rear sway bar too but I think it would be too expensive for my budget
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,791
iTrader: (0)

are either of those bilsteins dampening adjustable?
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
None of those because I don't need it : I don't track my car
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
So I thought at this problem a bit and I think I don't need coils ...

Wich aftermarket suspension should I choose ?
Wouldn't it be better a simple set of springs (but with them I fear I can't load the trunk of my car like I usually do ...) ?
I don't want to have a bouncy car too !

What do you guy think ?
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Zombie1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW 135i 2010
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Island long

Posts: 1,738
iTrader: (3)

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
So I thought at this problem a bit and I think I don't need coils ...

Wich aftermarket suspension should I choose ?
Wouldn't it be better a simple set of springs (but with them I fear I can't load the trunk of my car like I usually do ...) ?
I don't want to have a bouncy car too !

What do you guy think ?
Why note get BMWs performance suspension upgrade system seems like it fit you well http://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw-...kit-p1705.aspx
Zombie1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Unfortunately, I think it would be a little too expensive for me
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
titanium blur
Private
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
KW Street Comforts...

It meets your requirements for; ride height, comfort, compliance, linear springs cut down on the rear bounce, no rubbing... but not your cost points.

A fender roll only cost me $50.
titanium blur is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Vectorsumio
New Member
 
Vectorsumio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

I bought the B12's I'm in the states and it's like nobody even knows that product exists...

The current setup (stock) is just far to crashy/bouncy for confidence. Body roll doesn't bother me at all with stock but with the micro bouncing all over the place and the rear "skipping" out on the tiny bumps like "school crossing" paint on the road it's just unacceptable.

Drop is right where you want it and the progressive rate gives me the comfort I need... I think? It's been a 2 month order time since, as I said before... NOBODY has these in the states.

They come in around October, I'll give you an entire write-up if you able to wait that long... someone put them on their 128i and the drop looked perfect. The review wasn't bad either. But that's where I put my money and am willing to wait for them for 3 months!
Vectorsumio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorsumio View Post
I bought the B12's I'm in the states and it's like nobody even knows that product exists...

The current setup (stock) is just far to crashy/bouncy for confidence. Body roll doesn't bother me at all with stock but with the micro bouncing all over the place and the rear "skipping" out on the tiny bumps like "school crossing" paint on the road it's just unacceptable.

Drop is right where you want it and the progressive rate gives me the comfort I need... I think? It's been a 2 month order time since, as I said before... NOBODY has these in the states.

They come in around October, I'll give you an entire write-up if you able to wait that long... someone put them on their 128i and the drop looked perfect. The review wasn't bad either. But that's where I put my money and am willing to wait for them for 3 months!
Were did you buy the b12 kit from? ive googled it and no one in the world has this kit not even Bilstein in fact they said they were "thinking" about making this product.
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
Were did you buy the b12 kit from? ive googled it and no one in the world has this kit not even Bilstein in fact they said they were "thinking" about making this product.

You can find them in Europe bro'


A good friend of mine said me : go with sport springs, you don't need to change all your suspension bro' ...
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
You can find them in Europe bro'


A good friend of mine said me : go with sport springs, you don't need to change all your suspension bro' ...
I see your in france, could you give me a website or a phone number to one that has the B12?
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
I see your in france, could you give me a website or a phone number to one that has the B12?

No problem mate, here it is som websites :
- http://www.spdistrib.fr/
- http://www.pourchier.com/
- or directly to Bilstein website : http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...7018015&12=100

Moreover, the B12 kit is composed by B8 dampers + Eibach Prokit or Sportline springs .


I just have ordered a set of Eibach Prokit on the first website. I will see the result.

I don't care about my ///M Sport suspension, I will change it for a kit of B8 as soon as it is down !
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
No problem mate, here it is som websites :
- http://www.spdistrib.fr/
- http://www.pourchier.com/
- or directly to Bilstein website : http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...7018015&12=100

Moreover, the B12 kit is composed by B8 dampers + Eibach Prokit or Sportline springs .


I just have ordered a set of Eibach Prokit on the first website. I will see the result.

I don't care about my ///M Sport suspension, I will change it for a kit of B8 as soon as it is down !
I can't read French or German I wish I could though lol.......
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #18
Fidiman
First Lieutenant
 
Fidiman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
I can't read French or German I wish I could though lol.......

Sooo, here are the B12 Prokit :P :
- http://www.spdistrib.fr/Espace-Moteu...duct_info.html
- And here, the b12 is named as b8-Eibach http://www.pourchier.com/pieces-auto...issport_10.07-


I hope it could help you bro' !
Fidiman is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Vectorsumio
New Member
 
Vectorsumio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
Were did you buy the b12 kit from? ive googled it and no one in the world has this kit not even Bilstein in fact they said they were "thinking" about making this product.
Hey Rukuss, I put in my order with gmpperformance.com they don't warehouse anything Bilstein cause Bilstein East Coast I guess is 1 block away from them.

Direct link:
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=249281
Vectorsumio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,229
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorsumio View Post
Hey Rukuss, I put in my order with gmpperformance.com they don't warehouse anything Bilstein cause Bilstein East Coast I guess is 1 block away from them.

Direct link:
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....ail&PID=249281
Hey thanks Vectorsumio, I will contact GMP
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
Vectorsumio
New Member
 
Vectorsumio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Well, delivery date of my B12 pro-kit has come and gone and still no product... I am giving them an extra couple of days here to sort this all out... but I haven't heard a word and the communication with above company hasn't been good. So I might be back to square one on my order and therefore I can't give any advice to the product anymore.
Vectorsumio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #22
cvc 22349a
Colonel
 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 2,193
iTrader: (8)

Since you don't want to lower your car on c/o, BMW PS springs and bumpstops, Koni Sport or Bilstein Sport dampers and a M3 front sway bar. Cost is similar to the PS kit with much better handling.

+1 to KW street comfort if you are considering a c/o.
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/GC/M3/Meyle susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
cvc 22349a is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST