BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Brand New Dinan 1M Exhaust Released!

As a Dinan authorized dealer we have just received notice that the 1M exhaust has been released.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D660-0...w-Exhaust.aspx

Product Description

Dinan's free flow exhaust for the 1 Series M is sporty, just as it should be. Improving exhaust flow and adding a great sporty sound that is aggressive under hard acceleration with less drone than stock. Improve performance by 6 horsepower and 5 ft-lbs of torque. 100% 20 gauge-304 stainless steel construction to resist corrosion for years to come. Built with exacting specifications to ensure that the system fits correctly using the factory hangers . Designed to provide maximum flow while keeping things civilized with the Hemholtz chamber design. The design features quad 3.25" ceramic black or polished aluminum tips for a tasteful high performance look.

Benefits of the Free Flow Exhaust:

+ Built specifically for the BMW 1 Series M

+ Less "drone" than stock

+ Enjoyably louder

+ Sportier Sound

+ 100% stainless steel construction

+ Bolt-on installation using high quality BMW OEM clamps

+ Quad 3.25" laser engraved exhaust tips

+ 6 HP @ 6600 RPM, 5 FT-LB @ 6600 RPM

+ Hemholtz chamber to remove drone

+ Tilger mount bracket to reduce vibration and improve longevity

Dinan Performance Exhaust FAQ

Does a louder exhaust make more power?
Not necessarily. A freer flowing exhaust makes more power by removing friction in the exhaust system but how loud an exhaust is has to do with its packing material and or routing. It is possible for a loud exhaust to actually make less power than a stock exhaust. The best exhaust is the one that is the freest flowing and has a noise level that you enjoy.

What makes an exhaust "hummm" under light throttle?
This sound is commonly called "drone". It is caused by resonance in the exhaust system and can quickly give you a headache. Drone is the toughest characteristic to remove from an exhaust system. The use of a "hemholtz" chamber to work as a noise canceling device is a great option along with the use of butterfly valves when needed.

How are Dinan exhausts made?
All Dinan exhausts are designed and hand built in California at the Dinan Headquarters. They are welded by hand using precise tools to ensue perfect fit. All are built from 20 gauge-304 stainless steel for strength and corrosion resistance.

Does the kind of steel used matter?
Yes. Your cars exhaust is subjected to the elements and other harsh conditions that occur under a car. The exhaust gets hit with gravel, salt, water, sand and whatever else is on the road. Using high quality stainless steel keeps corrosion at bay in this tough environment.

Please PM me for further information.

Last edited by oldmarco; 09-29-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Let us hear one when you can please. Thanks.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Let us hear one when you can please. Thanks.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Indeed great news!!
I will be anxiously awaiting sound clips of this thing...
They seem to have concentrated on the "right qualities" to improve on the stock exhaust.
There is one lingering question though...
It has been years since my last physics class but I remember a lesson on sound/sound cancelation involving 2points and a bunch of semicircles... The jist of it was that to have cancelation there must/will be also propagation in sound waves. One's perception of this is solely dependent on their position/location. Now there seems to have been a lot of R&D in this project, using the STOCK n54 mid pipes.... What will be the difference in this noise cancelation effect on a car using an N55 mid pipe which produces a different tone and FAR less drone?
Am I wrong to assume that this muffler can/would produce MORE drone with the N55 set-up?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Wow....talk about late to the prom.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
True but it might be a good thing, examine the competition and see whats working/not working.

Interested, need to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

If we assume that this Forum includes some information about every aftermarket exhaust made available for the 1M, other than some one-off products tailor made for clients and the like, then I just counted 25 aftermarket exhaust options including this new Dinan. I did not count N55 or Maddad midpipes, or just down pipes as aftermarket exhausts; I did count just rear exhausts or more (catbacks or full exhausts). 25 aftermarket exhaust alternatives to choose from! Compared to how limited everything about 1M was, production numbers, available color options, isn't it surprising to see that exhaust options are not that limited at all. In fact, other than BMW factory itself (no Performance option) almost every major brand and some minor ones had their take on 1M's exhaust system.

Here is the name list I compiled: Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Supersprint, Evolve Race (by Supersprint), Hartge (also by Supersprint), Remus, Meisterschaft, Lightweight Titanauspuffanlagen, Tuningwerk, Borla, Revezport, Manhart, Vorsteiner, Dinan, Milltek, Megan Racing, BCS Auto., Magnaflow, AC Schnitzer, arqray, H&S, CP-E, RD Sport, Bastuck, HMS Performance.

If anyone is curious about any of the above please just search Any corrections to the list are more than welcome.

And back to Dinan again, sorry for threadjack! Just wanted to put it in some perspective.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

If it sounds as good as it looks I am in. Price is decent compared to others especially it being a Dinan product.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep

Well if anyone is interested in being the first to test it and provide sound clips for everyone with a review, I'll issue a semi sponsorship discount on the product. PM for more info.

Last edited by oldmarco; 09-30-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

This thread is worthless without soundclips!
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^^^Yes, someone take Phil up on his offer to be the first one.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

20-gauge piping? Seems pretty thin for a street car...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
^^^Yes, someone take Phil up on his offer to be the first one.
I would be on this like a fly on shit, but installed my remus a few weeks ago. Which reminds me...this dude owes you guys some maddad/remus sound clips.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I'd do it dependent on the discounted price.
I'm also in California.
      10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
+100, everyone who was in the market for an aftermarket exhaust should already have one...
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power79 View Post
+100, everyone who was in the market for an aftermarket exhaust should already have one...
Except those who were waiting for Dinan to come out with one.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
25 aftermarket exhaust alternatives to choose from!
So many after market exhausts for the 1M. So few cars.

Quote:
Oh but wait, anyone noticed that the prom queen (BMW 1M Performance Exhaust) failed to show up at the event ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

/subscribed. waiting on sound & video
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
So many after market exhausts for the 1M. So few cars.

Oh but wait, anyone noticed that the prom queen (BMW 1M Performance Exhaust) failed to show up at the event ?
Lol....+100
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
M3Sweet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M & 2009 BMW 335iX

I just ordered the Black Tip version and got 15% off!!!!!

15% Off Sale, New Products, DinanCare, Race Championship

Dear DINAN Fans,

SALE 15% OFF: DINAN's One & Only Sale

This is Dinan's only large sale for 2012.
Take 15% off your purchase of Dinan performance products until October 31st!

Get it while you can! 15% off almost all Dinan products. Save on Performance Software, Free Flow Exhausts, Intercoolers, Suspensions and much more! It is time to buy the Dinan parts you have been drooling over.

15% OFF SALE: Shop Now @ DinanCars.com

Please contact Dinan at 800-341-5480 with further questions.
*Ineligible products: wheels by HRE, BBS, individual Koni parts, Dinan by Brembo brakes, replacement parts, Hawk pads, 135/335/E9x M3 carbon fiber intakes, Dinan supercharger systems, headers. This offer cannot be combined with any other Dinan offers. This offer is limited to purchases made between October 1st and October 31, 2012.

NEW: Free Flow Exhaust for 1-Series M

Fitments:
E82 1 Series M - Free Flow Exhaust with Polished Tips
E82 1 Series M - Free Flow Exhaust with Black Ceramic Coated Tips
2011 1M VO | StopTech Trophy BBK | Eisenmann Performance Exhaust | ESS TUne | 3M Protective Coating | CDV Removal | Front Sway Bar | KW Variant 3 Suspension | Vorshlag Camber Plate | Rogue Engineering Short Throw Shifter
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone interested in getting more than 15% off in return for providing a review / sound clip. PM me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

You mean to tell me Dinan didn't have access to a 1M to put this on to provide sound clips and actual install pictures during development? My BS detector is going off here...
Appreciate 0