BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #89
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking at my tires the other day, and realized that I'm going to be due for a new set VERY soon. Currently, there are a set of Goodyear 205/50 R17's on my 128i. Has anyone played with tire sizes for this? Need to do this before the car becomes due for inspection this year.

Last edited by cpnbnanamn; 02-24-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #90
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking at my tires the other day, and realized that I'm going to be due for a new set VERY soon. Currently, there are a set of Goodyear 205/50 R17's on my 128i. Has anyone played with tire sizes for this? Need to do this before the car becomes due for inspection this year.
You have four wheels the same size(widths) ? Or do you have the sport wheels with a staggered setup ?

I'll assume you have the square, same width setup. So you have 205/50R17's on all four corners.
You could also go with 225/45R17s on all four corners as well. Go visit Tire Rack for more tire research. I really LOVE the Michelin PSS tire. In the wintertime I have Michelin Alpin's on my "other" BMW and really love them too.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #91
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I'll assume you have the square, same width setup. So you have 205/50R17's on all four corners.
You could also go with 225/45R17s on all four corners as well. Go visit Tire Rack for more tire research. I really LOVE the Michelin PSS tire. In the wintertime I have Michelin Alpin's on my "other" BMW and really love them too.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
You would be correct. 205/50ZR17's on all 4 corners. I was looking at TR, and they suggested 205/50R17 for the front, and 225/45ZR17 for the rear..
I need to do this soon.. Brakes need redone, and I'm undecided there (what to upgrade for now), and I need new tires while I'm at it. All this has to be done before inspection is due.
      04-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #92
mrvco
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I'm in the same situation. My all season RFT's are at the end of their useful life. I've been running non-RFT Ice-X snow tires in the winter.

I'd like a more performance oriented summer tire (square setup), but I'm hesitant to go to non-RFT performance tires without replacing the sub-frame bushings.

I don't see any mention of replacing the sub-frame bushings in this thread, so I'm wondering if the Pilot Sports would benefit from the stiffer bushings or whether the PS3's are stiff enough that it isn't a concern.
      04-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #93
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
I'm in the same situation. My all season RFT's are at the end of their useful life. I've been running non-RFT Ice-X snow tires in the winter.

I'd like a more performance oriented summer tire (square setup), but I'm hesitant to go to non-RFT performance tires without replacing the sub-frame bushings.

I don't see any mention of replacing the sub-frame bushings in this thread, so I'm wondering if the Pilot Sports would benefit from the stiffer bushings or whether the PS3's are stiff enough that it isn't a concern.
At first I just replaced my RFT's with non RFT Michelin PS3's. The car handled fine. There is a little bit less initial turn in response - like I posted. And after a few months.... yea... the rear axle felt like it was held in by rubber bands. This was really more noticeable bc of my SW stage II tune than bc of the tires. So I also upgraded to the M3/1M rear subframe bushings(RSB). I am happy with the way the car handles. Although next on my List of to-do's are new shocks and springs. Its really a deep rabbit hole. One thing(mod) turns into some other mod.

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do, for an improving the driving characteristics of the car. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's. RFT's felt/drove like square blocks instead of rubber tires. You can really notice the difference even on low speed small bumps.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #94
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
At first I just replaced my RFT's with non RFT Michelin PS3's. The car handled fine. There is a little bit less initial turn in response - like I posted. And after a few months.... yea... the rear axle felt like it was held in by rubber bands. This was really more noticeable bc of my SW stage II tune than bc of the tires. So I also upgraded to the M3/1M rear subframe bushings(RSB). I am happy with the way the car handles. Although next on my List of to-do's are new shocks and springs. Its really a deep rabbit hole. One thing(mod) turns into some other mod.

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do for the way the car drove. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings

Dackel
I finally decided to go with Michelin PSS's and did the Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors along with Street Performance pads. So far, I'm supremely happy. Wasn't aware of the need to change out the bushings for non-RFT's.
I also went and got the MyCarly app with BT connector, and made a few changes.. But yeah.. I'm bitten.. What mod to do next? I REALLY think I want to change out the headlights for projectors with angel eyes, and HID's, then worry about the tune, bushings, etc. It handles REALLY well now.. and SO much quieter!!
      07-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #95
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

Quote:

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do, for an improving the driving characteristics of the car. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's. RFT's felt/drove like square blocks instead of rubber tires. You can really notice the difference even on low speed small bumps.
+1, I just did the same and best money I ever spent. Now I've got some almost new RFT to throw up on the classified section.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 02:36 AM   #96
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopaw View Post
+1, I just did the same and best money I ever spent. Now I've got some almost new RFT to throw up on the classified section.
Yep, regular tires are the way to go!

Btw... what tires did you go with)brand/model)? Also 225/255's ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #97
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

I went with PS3+ A/S and I stuck with the sizes that came on the car and did not increase to 225/255.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #98
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopaw View Post
I went with PS3+ A/S and I stuck with the sizes that came on the car and did not increase to 225/255.
Ahhh Ok. So all season PS3's. (non run flats) 215/245's.
Appreciate 0