BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
///M1
Brigadier General
 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305

Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
So you're saying that 255/35/19 will rub in the front on stock suspension?
Interested to know myself, but I think this was specific to the PSSs, may not be the case with PS2s, so would be good for someone to confirm as far as the latter. The PSSs are a lot more 'square' than the PS2s so perhaps that has something to do with it?
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
///M1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,128
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
So you're saying that 255/35/19 will rub in the front on stock suspension?
No, simply stating the next mod for this particular customer.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

Posts: 3,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm
I am definitly going wider on the next set of tires. First and most of second gear is kind of a joke right now. Here's what I found on Tirerack. All prices are before shipping.

Here's the 3 or 4 best options as I see them:

265/30ZR19 XL Michelin Pilot Super Sport
295/30ZR19 XL Michelin Pilot Super Sport
$1568

265/30ZR19 XL Continental ExtremeContact DW
285/35ZR19 Continental ExtremeContact DW
$1064

265/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
295/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
$1044

265/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
285/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
$1012


The Michelins PSS seem to be the uncontested best of the best. At 50% more cost than the other options though it may not be worth the money to some. Between the other two it seems the Contis are a bit better. But with the Hankooks you can get to the 295 width in the rear.

I have a few months to go before I need new shoes. I'm hoping some other folks try a few of these out in the mean time!
ME TOO! Great post.
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor
M3 Adjuster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I am definitly going wider on the next set of tires. First and most of second gear is kind of a joke right now. Here's what I found on Tirerack. All prices are before shipping.

Here's the 3 or 4 best options as I see them:

265/30ZR19 XL Michelin Pilot Super Sport
295/30ZR19 XL Michelin Pilot Super Sport
$1568

265/30ZR19 XL Continental ExtremeContact DW
285/35ZR19 Continental ExtremeContact DW
$1064

265/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
295/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
$1044

265/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
285/30ZR19 XL Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110
$1012


The Michelins PSS seem to be the uncontested best of the best. At 50% more cost than the other options though it may not be worth the money to some. Between the other two it seems the Contis are a bit better. But with the Hankooks you can get to the 295 width in the rear.

I have a few months to go before I need new shoes. I'm hoping some other folks try a few of these out in the mean time!
Great thread topic, thx OP.

robertm aren't you worried the 265's in the front will be problematic? Alternatively can you confirm 'trying/running 265 front without issues?

Sorry to plead ignorance on this, but what makes you say 2nd gear is kind of a joke? Is it because of abundant wheel spin or because of general rear tire wear (even without frequent spin)? or else ...
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (0)

As rear grip is not a DD problem (yet). I'm thinking of running 265 square as that is easy to rotate and provides some front curb protection.

any thoughts on/beyond front fitment?
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
robertm
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

Posts: 877
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Great thread topic, thx OP.

robertm aren't you worried the 265's in the front will be problematic? Alternatively can you confirm 'trying/running 265 front without issues?

Sorry to plead ignorance on this, but what makes you say 2nd gear is kind of a joke? Is it because of abundant wheel spin or because of general rear tire wear (even without frequent spin)? or else ...
You are right. I meant the tires just light up into a smoky oblivion right now with the 265 rears. If you turn the tc all the way off and stomp on the go petal the car tends to transfer most of the power into a rubbery smoky cloud of wasted forward momentum. Wider rear tires would do a lot to help put the power to the ground.

I haven't switched tires yet so I can't confirm anything. I'm hoping someone else will be the guinea pig. I'm also thinking if there is just a slight rub on the front then probably some 5mm spacers will solve the issue.
robertm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
Fundahl
Captain
 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
You are right. I meant the tires just light up into a smoky oblivion right now with the 265 rears. If you turn the tc all the way off and stomp on the go petal the car tends to transfer most of the power into a rubbery smoky cloud of wasted forward momentum. Wider rear tires would do a lot to help put the power to the ground.

I haven't switched tires yet so I can't confirm anything. I'm hoping someone else will be the guinea pig. I'm also thinking if there is just a slight rub on the front then probably some 5mm spacers will solve the issue.
Lol I was gonna run the 265/295 PSS combo. Was hoping you would be the guinea pig.

Yeah, 1st gear at autocross is wheel-hop gear, 2nd is drifting gear....
Fundahl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
M3Guy
Private First Class
 
M3Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Greensboro NC

Posts: 157
iTrader: (1)

So will 255/35/19 rub on stock suspension or not with PSS?? I keep seeing people say yes it will and no it won't. Who actually runs this setup and do you have any issues? I was looking at going with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19
M3Guy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,051
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
So will 255/35/19 rub on stock suspension or not with PSS?? I keep seeing people say yes it will and no it won't. Who actually runs this setup and do you have any issues? I was looking at going with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19
I have 245/35 19s (stock size) PSS on my car's front and it almost rubs, in fact probably did rub a few times already. There is literally 0 clearance with stock wheels and suspension for anything larger diameter than 245/35. Stock size PSS has 25.8 inch diameter whereas 255/35 19 has 26.0. So, there is no way that 255s won't rub, not a chance. But will probably do this only at parking place speeds at full locks. Trimming the liners a bit can solve it for you.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,128
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
So will 255/35/19 rub on stock suspension or not with PSS?? I keep seeing people say yes it will and no it won't. Who actually runs this setup and do you have any issues? I was looking at going with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19
As stated in this post, on the first page of this thread, the tires will rub.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
M3Guy
Private First Class
 
M3Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Greensboro NC

Posts: 157
iTrader: (1)

That whole comment is unclear anyways. It says
"(this can only happen if you lower your car too much, at stock or 1" lowering there is not enough compression travel for this to happen)" ?? Which part?
So I would assume that 255/30 would be ok though?
M3Guy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,128
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
That whole comment is unclear anyways. It says
"(this can only happen if you lower your car too much, at stock or 1" lowering there is not enough compression travel for this to happen)" ?? Which part?
So I would assume that 255/30 would be ok though?
Sure it would work, but the overall diameter is too small when compare to a 245/35.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,051
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Sure it would work, but the overall diameter is too small when compare to a 245/35.
+1. Even 265/30 is smaller in diameter. With those you won't rub yes but will add more in the already big wheel gap. Your car will look like a SUV at the front.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 6,247
iTrader: (0)

PSS 255/35 will rub on front.

Larger tires add to unsprung weight too! ... 245/35 & 275/35 are a good combo.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #37
CarJunkie
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
PSS 255/35 will rub on front.

Larger tires add to unsprung weight too! ... 245/35 & 275/35 are a good combo.
How important is the diameter change on the rear? Does the increased O.D. stagger effect the TC and MDM accuracy? This question would apply to square setups also . . . any experience with this?
CarJunkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #38
arvinz
First Lieutenant
 
arvinz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Sorry, but is someone willing to do a google docs or just a full listing of sizes of PSS for our 1M and just say beside the sizes "Rubs" or "Not Rubs" or "Not Confirmed" or something like that. There's too many threads and it's a little confusing.

arvinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 6,247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
How important is the diameter change on the rear? Does the increased O.D. stagger effect the TC and MDM accuracy? This question would apply to square setups also . . . any experience with this?
Not sure, seems ~26" diam is optimal without impacting gearing etc.

Doubt a move from rear 265->275 will be noticeable in traction, nor is there a diameter change. IMO the 265 looks too stretched though, hence a 275.

Weight is an issue though. Adding 295's on the rear would add 4lbs per corner!

Reminds me of this
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #40
M3Guy
Private First Class
 
M3Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Greensboro NC

Posts: 157
iTrader: (1)

My reasoning with the 295's in the back is because I'm going FBO and probably meth. 265 isn't going to work so good with that I doubt. I'm just concerned with going that big in the rear but sticking with 245s in the front.
M3Guy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,051
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
My reasoning with the 295's in the back is because I'm going FBO and probably meth. 265 isn't going to work so good with that I doubt. I'm just concerned with going that big in the rear but sticking with 245s in the front.
Then why not try 275/30s at the front, since they are OK diameter wise, don't know if there is enough space in terms of width of the tire but since they are like a good fit for 9 inch wide wheels too (stocks are 9 inch) it is probable that there won't be an issue. 275/30 has 25.6 inch diameter vs. 25.8 stock size. Since your rears will be 295/30, this could be a good combo, at least on paper.

Here what I read from tire rack site about the PSS specs, just the essential data, for the rest go for http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eMake=Michelin

Here you go:

Stock tires vs. what fits nearest:

245/35 19:
93 Y
23lbs. each
8-9.5 inch rim range
25.8 inch overall diameter
807 revs per mile
vs.
275/30 19:
96 Y
26lbs. each
9-10 inch rim range
25.6 inch overall diameter
814 revs per mile

265/35 19:
98 Y
25lbs. each
9-10.5 inch rim range
26.3 inch overall diameter
790 revs per mile
vs.
295/30 19:
100 Y
28lbs. each
10-11 inch rim range
26 inch overall diameter
799 revs per mile

Hope this helps.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #42
///M1
Brigadier General
 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305

Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Speaking of Tire Rack, why don't you guys all log in a request for PSS in a 285/30/19 fitment. That is the exact fitment on the M3 GTS in Europe (which of course rides on the same wheels as our cars), and it has 255/35/19 up front.

I've talked to TR a few times, they said if enough people show interest they will forward it on to Michelin. Per TR, the 285/30/19 tire is quite popular with the Corvette guys already, and I reckon between us 1Mers and M3ers, we can hopefully put this on Michelin's radarQ
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
///M1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
SloPoke
First Lieutenant
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canton GA

Posts: 364
iTrader: (4)

Deleted. Made new thread.

Last edited by SloPoke; 02-21-2013 at 03:59 PM.
SloPoke is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #44
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,128
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke
Deleted. Made new thread.
Nice! We will put our request in with our sales rep. at TR.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST