BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
bdaddylo
Major

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Dinan Exhaust Installation Solutions

The Dinan exhaust release is now public and so is the installation issue with having to cut the stock exhaust pipe. Can anyone with an aftermarket exhaust system that utilizes a connection pipe confirm if their connection pipe follows the OEM stock exhaust routing? I'm hoping to use someone else's connection pipe to install the Dinan, so I can make it a 100% bolt on system.
      10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Colonel

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The Dinan exhaust release is now public and so is the installation issue with having to cut the stock exhaust pipe. Can anyone with an aftermarket exhaust system that utilizes a connection pipe confirm if their connection pipe follows the OEM stock exhaust routing? I'm hoping to use someone else's connection pipe to install the Dinan, so I can make it a 100% bolt on system.
Mine from Evolve was almost identical, the same shape of the stock muffler. Send a PM to Imran from Evolve to see if their rear exhaust and Dinan's are similar enough in terms of where they connect with the extra pipe. I need to check but I think Vorsteiner exhaust was also "cut" short so they should be using a similar connecting pipe as well.

Also you may check the photo of the Evolve connecting pipe in my relevant thread, here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745649
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
bdaddylo
Major

Garage List
Teaser. Couldn't confirm if other after market exhausts utilize the BMW muffler replacement cutoff point, so I'm hoping that a shop can fabricate something for me.
Attached Images

10-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major

Garage List
Pics and Videos

So, I couldn't find a reasonable price for just a connecting pipe from the other brands. I received quotes ranging from $290-$600 not including shipping. I found a local shop in Houston called Afordable Muffler who built a custom connecting pipe. Thankfully, they had an old flange that was basically the same size, but needed some tweeking. Here are some pics and videos.

Now for my review. The Dinan sounds great. It's louder, but not abnoxious. You can hear it across the full RPM range unlike the OEM which was my biggest complaint. Drone appears to be well controlled. I haven't driven on smooth asphalt yet, so I can't say for sure how well controlled it is. The only dislikes so far is that it hangs a little low and is quite visible. Thanks to BMW of North Houston for handling my Dinan order.

Attached Images

Last edited by bdaddylo; 10-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
      10-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

Sounds great but the whole way this thing connects is ridiculous, especially coming from a company like Dinan. Last thing I want to see on my 1M, having just shelled out 2k for a muffler is some half assed welded piece of pipe (I would't be happy with that weld job at all, a proper clamped pipe would have been much better)

Also, I agre with you that it does seems to sit low.

I guess I can cross this one off my list.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      10-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major

Garage List
To get the alignment correct, they welded it in place. Not the best looking welds, but it's doing its job and it's not visible unless you're crawling under the car and I don't plan on spending much time underneath the rear of my car. The connecting pipe has a slip on connection, so the weld can be easily cut with minimal effects to the Dinan portion. All in all, my OEM exhaust is still intact and I can easily remove the Dinan if needed. For a $85 job that took less than an hour, I'm quite pleased.
      10-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Colonel

Now I am thinking that if anything goes wrong with the Dinan exhaust, quality wise etc., since they are very serious about not approving any other tuner's products mated with theirs, they may deny responsibility just because the client prefered not to cut his/her stock muffler and used a custom one to be able to use it. At least on paper they may just say that the issue has something to do with an unapproved connecting pipe because that pipe is not a Dinan or BMW product
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      10-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Strongbark
Brigadier General

Drives: 2015 M4 on order

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Would it have really effected their bottom line to extend the piping a bit further to properly connect to the mid pipe?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale

Last edited by Strongbark; 10-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Strongbark is offline   No_Country
      10-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
bdaddylo
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Sorry but this is ridiculous. Would it have really effected their bottom line to extend the piping a bit further to properly connect to the mid pipe.
A big miss on their part by not doing market research on their target consumer. They unofficially said a connecting pipe would have added $600 to the cost which is like a 500% markup.

Besides this issue, I'm very satisfied with the sound and performance.
      10-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
providence
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 X3 Msprt, 2012 X5, 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Sorry but this is ridiculous. Would it have really effected their bottom line to extend the piping a bit further to properly connect to the mid pipe.

I know they say out of sight out of mind... But this WOULD bother me...
No thanks Dinan...
I guess I'm back to the damn Akrapovic...
providence is offline   United_States
      10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Bdh821
Major

Drives: 08 Montego 135i, 06 330xi

Send a message via AIM to Bdh821
HOLY FAWK those are some ugly ass welds!!! It amazes me how people can lay down a bead, or lack there of, and be happy with their craftsmanship. Sorry to rip on your exhaust. $600 would be like a 1000x markup of cost also
      10-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
JimPastell
Diesel Power

Drives: Black 320d E91 LCI

Garage List
OMFG!!! I have always thought that Dinan is delivering overpriced parts with bad finish but this is just ridiculous! My Akrapovic Slip-On is a true beauty and worth every penny!
      10-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
FairfaxM3
Private First Class

Drives:

After paying the price they are asking for the exhaust and then coming up with a custom solution--which in this case is not a really clean solution--I really question if it is really worth it.

I'm sure a cleaner installation can be done--but, again, I would then question the value of it, given the other options available.
      10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General

Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
I know they say out of sight out of mind... But this WOULD bother me...
No thanks Dinan...
I guess I'm back to the damn Akrapovic...
OP: congrats on your new exhaust and thx for posting the pics and video. Glad you like the rumble and that drone is gone.

I have to say I am shocked at how Dinan has delivered such a hack job solution. Kept pricing at their 'standard' levels, yet install ends up looking like from Meineke. WTF?! Last company to release an exhaust for the 1M, and they deliver THIS? Couldn't have cost them all that much to just make the connecting pipe longer and be a true bolt-on and PnP. Wow, speechless.
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Stoptech lines, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
///M1 is offline   United_States
      10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
Ian///M
Major General

Poor form on Dinan not having a connecting pipe

Ian///M is offline   No_Country
      10-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
I think it sounds great!
      10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
firechicken99
Major

Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
OP: congrats on your new exhaust and thx for posting the pics and video. Glad you like the rumble and that drone is gone.

I have to say I am shocked at how Dinan has delivered such a hack job solution. Kept pricing at their 'standard' levels, yet install ends up looking like from Meineke. WTF?! Last company to release an exhaust for the 1M, and they deliver THIS? Couldn't have cost them all that much to just make the connecting pipe longer and be a true bolt-on and PnP. Wow, speechless.
+1. Boggles my mind
      10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
CarJunkie
Lieutenant

Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M

Sounds nice, but Maddad with stock rear section sounds better, adds more power and costs less than 1/3rd. Easy decision.
      10-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
MusclesCoupe

Drives: BMW 1M

SOrry guys i couldnt see doing this to a one off car.

Hence why many people go with the bolt ups

MEISTERSCHAFT, EVOLVE, AKRAPOVIC, BORLA to name a few
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills
MusclesCoupe is offline   United_States
      10-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
bdaddylo
Major

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Sounds nice, but Maddad with stock rear section sounds better, adds more power and costs less than 1/3rd. Easy decision.
Sorry, but you don't have a clue. Stock rear sucks compared to any aftermarket no matter what midpipes you're running. I believe the stock rear is more restrictive than the stock midpipes.

Last edited by bdaddylo; 10-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
      10-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Sorry, but you don't have a clue. Stock rear sucks compared to any aftermarket no matter what midpipes you're running. I believe the stock rear is more restrictive than the stock midpipes.
I disagree. I added Maddads and sound increase was awesome. Adding Remus muffler a few months later got rid of the drone though.

Ian///M is offline   No_Country
      10-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
theinfamousdrew
Big Member

Drives: F30 335i xDrive ///M Sport

Garage List
I have NEVER liked any Dinan products and this seals the deal.

They also state this on their site...
"+ Bolt-on installation using high quality BMW OEM clamps"