BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
1speedbike
Colonel

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Clicking noise coming from front wheels

Just had my service department check out this clicking noise I've been having on my car for the past few weeks. It's always on the outer wheel when I make a turn, and it's speed-dependent.

It's not the CV-Joint (first thing I thought of), or anything to do with the suspension. The dealer suggested it might be the rims I have, but they are Breytons in the exact same size and offset as stock. I do have hankook tires on 225/40 up front 255/35 rear. Those are the only things I can think of that are making that noise!

It almost sounds like a baseball card in some bicycle spokes, or even a lawn sprinkler. It's not terrible, but it just makes me nervous. The dealership can't come up with anything.. nothing's loose, everything's all good.

Any ideas? Is it the tires somehow? But how would they make such a weird noise??

Year 1 of the 1
      07-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Red Bread
Brigadier General

Drives: My wife's car

Garage List
It's the brake backing plates, the bolts need to be retorqued. I've had good luck just rechecking the torque on the lug bolts too.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
      07-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
1speedbike
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's the brake backing plates, the bolts need to be retorqued. I've had good luck just rechecking the torque on the lug bolts too.
They also checked the brakes today at the dealership. I complained about the clicking noise but also about squeaking brakes so they checked the pads and the sensors. Would they have unscrewed and retorqued them during that check?

I'm about to go back for the car, so lemme know!

Year 1 of the 1
      07-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3

My car used to do this too, but hasn't in quite a while now.
      07-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
1speedbike
Colonel

Just got back from the dealership.. the noise is gone! I guess whatever they did when they did nothing fixed it haha. Probably the brakes as Red Bread said. Anyway I'm glad I don't have to worry any more

Year 1 of the 1
      07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
fourtailpipes
Major

Drives: OPCs

sounds like wheel bearings to me. i've gone through a few sets of wheel bearings, and they always click on the outside (loaded) wheel when turning.
      07-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera

Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Many people have had this problem; there was another big thread about it awhile ago, but no real solutions offered. I asked my dealer about it and he just trotted out the 'aftermarket suspension' and 'cracked undertray' card and waved his hands at me...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
ianc is offline   United_States
      07-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
1mor
Got Boost?

Drives: 135 (Sold)

I had that with the stock suspension and after installing coilovers. Finally went away when I replaced the wheels
1mor is offline   United_States
      07-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera

Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Finally went away when I replaced the wheels
Some people theorized that it was actually the roundel inserts in the wheels that were making the clicking noise. Sounds plausible to me, but I never took the trouble to remove them to test,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
ianc is offline   United_States
      07-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
nates1

Drives: 2013 frozen white M3

If you have slotted discs, the clicking may be the heat shield rubbing during turns.
nates1 is offline   United_States
      07-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
1speedbike
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Some people theorized that it was actually the roundel inserts in the wheels that were making the clicking noise. Sounds plausible to me, but I never took the trouble to remove them to test,

ianc
whatever it was for me, it's gone now. all they did was swap out my wheels with stock rims and tires to see if the clicking was still there. it wasn't. so it was definitely something on the wheels or tires. don't think it was the roundels because they didnt touch them at all. they also checked the brakes because they were squeaking and they could have opened them up and re-screwed/re-torqued them. It wasn't anything in the suspension so it wasn't anything "dangerous" i don't think. so either the rims, the tires, or the brakes..

Year 1 of the 1
      07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
SquashAZ
Enlisted Member

Drives: Sedona Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
whatever it was for me, it's gone now. all they did was swap out my wheels with stock rims and tires to see if the clicking was still there. it wasn't. so it was definitely something on the wheels or tires. don't think it was the roundels because they didnt touch them at all. they also checked the brakes because they were squeaking and they could have opened them up and re-screwed/re-torqued them. It wasn't anything in the suspension so it wasn't anything "dangerous" i don't think. so either the rims, the tires, or the brakes..
New lugs fixed my issues. Not sure why but its fixed.
      07-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
1speedbike
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashAZ View Post
New lugs fixed my issues. Not sure why but its fixed.
I don't wanna be a negative nancy, but wait it out a bit. When my wheels were put back on, the sound was gone at first, but slowly and surely it would creep back with increasing frequency and volume over a few days. I didn't get new lugs or anything, but every time the wheels were taken off and then put on again, this would happen. At first I'd be singing hallelujah! Then I'd be kicking myself!

This isn't to say that don't I sincerely hope your issue got resolved! I really do hope everything's fine now. Good luck, and let us know!

Year 1 of the 1
      07-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
mike the snake
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

My wheels used to click as well when I first got my car. I installed new wheels and tires and the clicking went away.

My thought is that it is the rotors or rotor hats. Many many people have reported the sound going away after simply taking the wheels off and reinstalling them. I think it is probably the wheel lugs being unevenly torqued, causing the rotor hats to warp or flex.

One thing you can do is make sure the wheels are hand-torqued, not air ratcheted on.
      09-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
kensington
Private First Class

Drives: 08 135

I have this exact issue on mine too. Took the wheel off, retorque with a calibrated torque wrench to 85-90 ft lbs. Went away for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday when taking a corner fast it came right back again a bit louder. Only on right hand turns. Im going to take the wheels off and retorque again when im back from vacation. If that doesnt fix it im going to take it in.
      09-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
cdde323
asshole

Drives: 135i

I can confirm wheel theory, I had the click (6+ months of it)... got new wheels and tires... then I didn't have the click (immediate effect).
Notice: I am an asshole and I judge books by their cover; if you drive an automatic (DCT included) or convertible and unless you're a women, I assume you're not the kind of car person I respect or want to know. I offer you a preemptive apology for hurting your pride and/or feelings for any comments I make to this fact.
      09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
1speedbike
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensington View Post
I have this exact issue on mine too. Took the wheel off, retorque with a calibrated torque wrench to 85-90 ft lbs. Went away for about 2 weeks. Then yesterday when taking a corner fast it came right back again a bit louder. Only on right hand turns. Im going to take the wheels off and retorque again when im back from vacation. If that doesnt fix it im going to take it in.
That's what would keep happening to me. BMW or someone else would take the wheels off, or just retorque the lugs, the issue would go away for a while, and then come back. The harder you corner, the louder and quicker the problem comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdde323 View Post
I can confirm wheel theory, I had the click (6+ months of it)... got new wheels and tires... then I didn't have the click (immediate effect).
Yep, the noise would only come on for me when I was running my Breytons + Hankooks. Went through last winter and this summer with two sets of different wheels since then, and the noise hasn't come back.

Year 1 of the 1
      10-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
kensington
Private First Class

Drives: 08 135

Quick update...4 weeks ago I took the wheel off and put just a tiny bit of wheel bearing grease on the surface of the wheel where it contacts the rotor. The clicking has completely gone away. After driving it a lot since then, including a long cruise in the hills, it hasnt come back.
      10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Terry989

Drives: 2009 128i

Good observation - - - and may be the root cause of many of the clicking issues people see. I always use anti-seize on all wheel to rotor contact surfaces and have not had the clicking issue.
      10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
katsooba
Private First Class

Drives: bmw 135i

check out a post i made in the 1m forums, i fixed my 135i clicking noise the way i described.

i dont have many msgs, just go through my history on the said forum

fixed mine and a friends 135i with the same method.
      10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #21
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?

Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

Were you running spacers??
tHegeRm is offline   United_States