BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

headlight always on in auto mode

I just noticed that my headlights are always on even during mid afternoon. The light switch is set on auto....

Does anyone know where the auto on/off headlight sensor is for our cars? I thought it would be on the dash near the windshield but I didnt see anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

Check your owners manual - you can turn off the DRLS.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Haha is that all it is... I thought the angel eyes were the drl... easy fix thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

The DRLs are the angel eyes, your xenons should not be lit unless it's dark enough. I swear that my lights are time based i.e. if it's 6pm they come on even if it's still perfectly light but maybe they are just sensitive. During normal daylight though my lights are off.

The light sensor I believe is next to the rain sensor at the top centre of the windshield, by the rear view mirror so maybe give that area a cut back with a degreasing cleaner and then a polish.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The headlights use Infrared (IR) light sensor to detect when to turn on. Like when its bright but foggy out, they will switch on. Also IF you use your wipers... they will also switch on.

IF you look closely at the headlight switch... when the headlights are on there is a tiny green led lamp. When the green led is on, the headlights are on.

Someone posted a long time ago that the Infrared (IR) light sensors are built into the headlights. Another reason why the headlights cost so much!

IF you hack the instrument panel cluster there is a way to adjust WHEN the headlights switch on. I also believe there is an adjustment menu when using a BavTech (BT) scan tool in one of the menus. Or your dealer can also adjust when the lights witch on.

My headlights turn on just fine. They are almost perfect when in the auto mode. EVery once in a while I will have to turn them on manually... but for the most part they know AND turn on when I need them.
Appreciate 0