BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
johnsfb
Private
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Damaged lower front grill.

Anyone know if the large honeycomb front grill can be replaced without removing the bumper?
A pheasant flew in front of the car and caused some damage to the grill so I got a new one from BMW for £40.
I asked the stores guys to give me a print-out of the instructions and apparently the first thing is to remove the bumper - what a PITA because that's not something I could tackle myself. Probably cost four times the price of it just for them to put it in there.
So - wondering if it actually can be done without taking the bumper off?
johnsfb is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
octainejunkee
Private First Class
 
octainejunkee's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2012 1m 454/530 BHP/LBFT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: gatwick

Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)

Any good local bodyshop would only charge you an hours labour tops for that kind of job (think around the £60 cash mark).
bmw would probablycharge three times that tho lol
octainejunkee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
 
Ky1M's Avatar
 
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

You tube is your answer, I changed mine , no problem
Ky1M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
johnsfb
Private
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

OK - Thanks. Replies appreciated.

Im getting a local body-shop to do it
johnsfb is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,001
iTrader: (1)

You should ask Elsabor67 his grill "ate" a low flying bird on the Autobahn this year on our way to BMW AG!


Bird shot...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=bird
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You should ask Elsabor67 his grill "ate" a low flying bird on the Autobahn this year on our way to BMW AG!
Bird shot...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=bird
The Autobahn 1er Bird Massacre...

With a 1M and a fraction of a second difference, it would have been a slam dunk inside the black "side pocket".

Name:  1M front bumper.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  67.4 KB
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
 
Elsabor67's Avatar
 
Drives: La Jeva ;-)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuttgart, Ge :-)

Posts: 2,557
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfb View Post
Anyone know if the large honeycomb front grill can be replaced without removing the bumper?
A pheasant flew in front of the car and caused some damage to the grill so I got a new one from BMW for £40.
I asked the stores guys to give me a print-out of the instructions and apparently the first thing is to remove the bumper - what a PITA because that's not something I could tackle myself. Probably cost four times the price of it just for them to put it in there.
So - wondering if it actually can be done without taking the bumper off?
It's easier than you think. Why waste your cash on someone that will take their sweet time and charge you 40-60 bucks/euros/pounds for labor hours when you can remove a total of 13 screws, and 2 lids (Bumper windshield sprayer), slight tug on the tp ends of the bumper and WALA!!!!!!

Bumper removed. To take of and install it should not take you more than 30 minutes max.
__________________

Quote from Ezeedee regarding car mods:
"you're only done when you sell the car "
Elsabor67 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
MusclesCoupe
Banned
 
MusclesCoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

Suck that pheasant up! lol
MusclesCoupe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
DrGadget
Second Lieutenant
 
DrGadget's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 123d
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 209
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
It's easier than you think. Why waste your cash on someone that will take their sweet time and charge you 40-60 bucks/euros/pounds for labor hours when you can remove a total of 13 screws, and 2 lids (Bumper windshield sprayer), slight tug on the tp ends of the bumper and WALA!!!!!!

Bumper removed. To take of and install it should not take you more than 30 minutes max.
Elsabor67: Dack suggested I ask you this question after your pheasant experience with the mesh grill. I am about to install projector headlights on a 123d with M-Sport package. As I need to remove the front bumper bar, my question relates to whether the ///M grill and M-Sport bumper bars both have the four x 8mm screws just behind the mesh grill (under the number plate)? I know the ///M bumper bar DOES .... but as far as I can see, the M-Sport grille does NOT. I ask as I am darned if I can get the mesh grille out no matter what I do, and I am worried that it will simply break as it is so flimsy.

I hope you or someone else knows the answer to this one.
__________________
Alpine White/Anthracite 123d M Sport Pack, 2010. Yokohama ADVAN Sport 225/255 NonRFT
A turbo: exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” J Clarkson ... and to think I have two such beasties!
DrGadget is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
 
Elsabor67's Avatar
 
Drives: La Jeva ;-)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuttgart, Ge :-)

Posts: 2,557
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGadget View Post
Elsabor67: Dack suggested I ask you this question after your pheasant experience with the mesh grill. I am about to install projector headlights on a 123d with M-Sport package. As I need to remove the front bumper bar, my question relates to whether the ///M grill and M-Sport bumper bars both have the four x 8mm screws just behind the mesh grill (under the number plate)? I know the ///M bumper bar DOES .... but as far as I can see, the M-Sport grille does NOT. I ask as I am darned if I can get the mesh grille out no matter what I do, and I am worried that it will simply break as it is so flimsy.

I hope you or someone else knows the answer to this one.
Just sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Nick
__________________

Quote from Ezeedee regarding car mods:
"you're only done when you sell the car "
Elsabor67 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
DrGadget
Second Lieutenant
 
DrGadget's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 123d
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 209
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
Just sent you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Nick
Thank you ... just replied.
__________________
Alpine White/Anthracite 123d M Sport Pack, 2010. Yokohama ADVAN Sport 225/255 NonRFT
A turbo: exhaust gases go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” J Clarkson ... and to think I have two such beasties!
DrGadget is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST