BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #23
jsmonet
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
^ lol at the anger. and why cant you put a spoiler on a front wheel drive car?
You can, but it's as useless as man nipples.
You don't know aero or the dynamics of grip....or you simply aren't going fast enough.
      11-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
chrisN
Lieutenant

Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [4.33]
afaik, spoiler on FWD will be good because downward force on the rear wheels is still important. just because the rear wheels arent driving it forward doesnt mean they arent important for stability.
      11-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
135iMike
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 White 135i

I couldn't resist being sucked into this thread.

Spoilers on FWD are useless? Come on guys - downforce is downforce, period. A proper spoiler will keep any platform planted to the ground at high speeds just as well. Just research it if you don't want to believe me - or check out racing divisions like Grand-Am and whatnot.

Also, +1 for liking the look of it tilted, definitely gives it a more aggressive style. Unless it's freezing, 80% of the time I have it tilted. I know a lot of people that do the same/agree. I've also wanted to close the inner part from time to time.

And lastly, why is there so much hate in this simple thread?
      11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
Bill B.
First Lieutenant

Drives: '12 135i, '13 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
You don't know aero or the dynamics of grip....or you simply aren't going fast enough.
I know that they add weight and drag to the car, offering a permanent decrease in fuel economy for the rare chance that the car reaches a speed on the street where sufficient downforce would be generated.

Plus, many of the flimsy decorations I've seen double-sided taped or sheet-metal-screwed to the thin deck lid would most likely sooner buckle under that force before actually offering any useful traction increase.
Bill B. is offline   United_States
      11-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Bmwbreed
Major

Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Send a message via Skype™ to Bmwbreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMike View Post
I couldn't resist being sucked into this thread.

Spoilers on FWD are useless? Come on guys - downforce is downforce, period. A proper spoiler will keep any platform planted to the ground at high speeds just as well. Just research it if you don't want to believe me - or check out racing divisions like Grand-Am and whatnot.

Also, +1 for liking the look of it tilted, definitely gives it a more aggressive style. Unless it's freezing, 80% of the time I have it tilted. I know a lot of people that do the same/agree. I've also wanted to close the inner part from time to time.

And lastly, why is there so much hate in this simple thread?
+1 to everything u said
Bmwbreed is offline   United_States
      11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
JasonCSU
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I do find it a little amusing that some people use the tilt feature of the sunroof just for the look or style of it. The function of the tilt feature is clearly to vent the cabin, which is why the shade only closes about 3/4 of the way when the sunroof is tilted.

I know someone mentioned that VW's and Audi's can close the shade with the roof tilted because the shade has integrated slots for ventilation. I prefer BMW's design over this though, because I would probably forget all the time that the sunroof was tilted if I could close the shade all the way.