BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #67
schlümpfy
Almost there
schlümpfy's Avatar
Belgium
17
Rep
1,224
Posts

 
Drives: BMW instant classic
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On the move

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Running with wheel studs so I don't have to worry about bolts.

Neil

Yes offcourse! sorry keep forgetting I live in a country were studs are forbidden
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #68
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
103
Rep
3,364
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Yes offcourse! sorry keep forgetting I live in a country were studs are forbidden
Except for football shoes.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #69
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,549
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Yes offcourse! sorry keep forgetting I live in a country were studs are forbidden
I'm referring to wheel studs that are threaded into the hub, so the wheels are attached with nuts rather than bolts (and not to studs that are affixed to the tires for traction)!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #70
schlümpfy
Almost there
schlümpfy's Avatar
Belgium
17
Rep
1,224
Posts

 
Drives: BMW instant classic
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On the move

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'm referring to wheel studs that are threaded into the hub, so the wheels are attached with nuts rather than bolts (and not to studs that are affixed to the tires for traction)!

Neil
Yes Neil I've got it the first time but it's true that these are not street legal overhere
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #71
rk05zhp
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NE Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Thanks FLZRIDER, TiagaTii,VO1M and gs/e60/1M for sorting all this out! I purchased the 18" wheel from BMW and the 155 70 18 tire from Maxxis. Test fit shows everything to work as you all said it would. I found a e46 jack to throw in the trunk along with the spare. It all fits in the Spare Tire Bag that is available from Bavarian Auto Sport. Also installed the BMW cargo hooks at the front of the trunk per FLZRIDER's other thread. They were easy to install. I recommend this setup to anyone who feels more comfortable with a spare tire instead of the can of goo and compressor.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #72
Hobbe
Private First Class
Hobbe's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: AW E82 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^the only problem I see with using the above steel wheel is that you have to NOT loose that plastic adpator PLUS you need different wheel bolts bc of the steel wheel. The bolt heads taper in a different fashion. The above steel wheel is from a X5. I am still kind of surpised this wheel clears the larger 1M/M3 brakes.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=36&fg=10&hl=1


Looking RealOEM.com I see there IS an alloy wheel spare tire: 36110445045 It is the same one I bought for my car last year! The main reason why I went with the alloy wheel was bc you don't need any adptor rings or different wheel bolts. BMW will not sell you the tire for this wheel... but they will sell you the alloy wheel.

e82 1M spare alloy wheel...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=36&fg=95&hl=1


Here are some pics of my spare tire setup...











jack kit and tools = 71106773536 - 100 euros
alloy wheel/tire spare = 36110445045 - 120 euros

The original spare tire thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=36110445045


Dackel
Thank you!
I recently purchased all of the above incl. a nice bag for the wheel from BMW.
According to information found, this set up shoud be for "dealerships and assitance purposes only" - not for customers, but I had no problem getting it.

Whether it fits or not based on feedback in previous posts will be tested.
A full refund is expected if it doesn't (no problem with BMW dealership).
__________________
AW E82 1M, 414 PS/636 Nm
Local tracks more fun than public roads
WWW.BMWSC.COM

Last edited by Hobbe; 08-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #73
Tom303
Private
Tom303's Avatar
2
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Hobbe- I would make sure it works on your 1M. The reference you used is for a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #74
Hobbe
Private First Class
Hobbe's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: AW E82 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Alloy wheel/tire spare part# 36110445045 is stated as complete spare wheel set for E82 1M.
Part# 36116788203 is the wheel itself.
Same part# for both E92 M3 and E82 135i.

If it fits or not I'll know once I find the time to visit the local garage.
__________________
AW E82 1M, 414 PS/636 Nm
Local tracks more fun than public roads
WWW.BMWSC.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #75
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
699
Rep
16,698
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Thank you!
I recently purchased all of the above incl. a nice bag for the wheel from BMW.
According to information found, this set up shoud be for "dealerships and assitance purposes only" - not for customers, but I had no problem getting it.

Whether it fits or not based on feedback in previous posts will be tested.
A full refund is expected if it doesn't (no problem with BMW dealership).

Yup, my alloy spare is a 17 inch wheel. It fits my 135i just fine. But I don't think it would fit on(over) the front 1M's big brakes. That is why for a 1M you need at least an 18 inch wheel. (whether a snow or spare, you need an 18 inch wheel!).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #76
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk05zhp View Post
Thanks FLZRIDER, TiagaTii,VO1M and gs/e60/1M for sorting all this out! I purchased the 18" wheel from BMW and the 155 70 18 tire from Maxxis. Test fit shows everything to work as you all said it would. I found a e46 jack to throw in the trunk along with the spare. It all fits in the Spare Tire Bag that is available from Bavarian Auto Sport. Also installed the BMW cargo hooks at the front of the trunk per FLZRIDER's other thread. They were easy to install. I recommend this setup to anyone who feels more comfortable with a spare tire instead of the can of goo and compressor.
Glad to help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Alloy wheel/tire spare part# 36110445045 is stated as complete spare wheel set for E82 1M.
Part# 36116788203 is the wheel itself.
Same part# for both E92 M3 and E82 135i.

If it fits or not I'll know once I find the time to visit the local garage.
Everything I've read says so far has said that the aluminum wheel you bought will NOT fit the 1M or E90/92 M3 front brakes.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #77
Hobbe
Private First Class
Hobbe's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: AW E82 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Bought it, tried it, and traded it in for something else.
It didn't fit the 1M (as some of you already knew), but I wanted to find out by myself.

An 1M 19" wheel is now serving the purpose as spare wheel.
__________________
AW E82 1M, 414 PS/636 Nm
Local tracks more fun than public roads
WWW.BMWSC.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #78
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
699
Rep
16,698
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Bought it, tried it, and traded it in for something else.
It didn't fit the 1M (as some of you already knew), but I wanted to find out by myself.

An 1M 19" wheel is now serving the purpose as spare wheel.
I do not know if you saw my other thread this past June when I got a flat in my 135i(while at the Historic races at Nurburgring) and used my 17" alloy mini spare(in the above photos)... The way my car drove with that mini spare scared the crap out of me! The back end just shakes and fish-tails - even without getting on the power. It was prue hell having to drive only 80 kph on the autobahn and in traffic with the back end wiggling and wagging all the way.

As soon as I got back home I bought a spare 17" full size spare and now I tug that along in my trunk. A full size spare is the only option in my book. I never want to be stuck with a mini space saver wheel again. Full size is the way to go!

17" steel wheel (from a e46 330i) on my 135i...
Name:  IMG_5237.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5292.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5295.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  114.2 KB

OE wheel, mini space saver and full size spare comparison...
Name:  IMG_5303.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  147.4 KB

full size spare in my trunk...
Name:  IMG_5307.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  156.1 KB


Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #79
Hobbe
Private First Class
Hobbe's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: AW E82 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Dackelone,

I've got a 19" 1M front wheel as a spare now.
__________________
AW E82 1M, 414 PS/636 Nm
Local tracks more fun than public roads
WWW.BMWSC.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #80
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
699
Rep
16,698
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Dackelone,

I've got a 19" 1M front wheel as a spare now.

Yup. I think for a 1M a full size spare in 18" or 19" is the best solution. You won't have any worries when driving across the country.

For a 135i, an 17" or 18" full size spare is best solution(I think).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #81
LotusBoy
Private First Class
1
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brussels

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Dackelone,

I've got a 19" 1M front wheel as a spare now.
Hi Hobbe ! I'm running 18" on mine, but I kept the original 19's in the basement, meaning I could easily do the same as you. But are you sure that a 1M's front wheel would fit the back axle if needed ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #82
LeifW
Captain
12
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
I'm running 18" on mine
Do you mean you have an 18" spare? If so, could you share the details?

Thanks,
Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #83
Em/1
First Lieutenant
Em/1's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
If you don't want to put a lot of money in your trunk, you can get an 18" Sport Edition wheel from the Tire Rack that will fit front or rear (they recommend for winter tires all around) for a very reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #84
LotusBoy
Private First Class
1
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brussels

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
Do you mean you have an 18" spare? If so, could you share the details?

Thanks,
Leif W.
Hi Leif ! Nope, I don't have a spare for the moment. My 1M drives all year long with 18" M3-E92 wheels, PS2 in front and PS3 aft. But I'm considering carrying one of my OEM 19" in the trunk as a spare... And in the winter, a little more weight in the back can't hurt, as it will improve traction !

PS: went to my BMW specialist. He said 1M/M3 OEM front wheels can be mounted aft as a spare, temporarily.

Last edited by LotusBoy; 11-07-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: PS added
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #85
LeifW
Captain
12
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone determined if mounting an 18" spare on the rear would be a problem with the LSD if the other wheel is a 19"?

Thanks.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #86
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,549
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifW View Post
Has anyone determined if mounting an 18" spare on the rear would be a problem with the LSD if the other wheel is a 19"?

Thanks.

Leif W.
So long as the overall diameter is the same (or close), doesn't matter what size the wheel is.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #87
LeifW
Captain
12
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: 1M AW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CT, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
So long as the overall diameter is the same (or close), doesn't matter what size the wheel is.

Neil
Thanks.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #88
LotusBoy
Private First Class
1
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brussels

iTrader: (0)

Sounds wise to me ! But still, there is a small difference between front and aft wheel diameter. So using a front wheel aft, as a spare, should IMO be kept to the minimum.
I wouldn't want to drive a tank of gas like this, with even a remote risk to the diff ...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST