BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Rein
New Member
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

My old Accord Euro

This was dropped on Coils, 4 inches front and 4.5 inches rear. So im used to driving pretty low around Sydney streets.





My second accord euro was dropped on Air Suspension. I did think about getting air suspension for the 135, but rather go for coils since its a performance car. Yes dropping 4 inch on coils will pretty much make it useless, but I just want to have that freedom of dropping the car to about 4 inches. I may only drop the car 2 inches for better handling.





Rein is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
splitsecond
Space Admiral
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 317
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wow, that's crazy...
__________________
2008 135i Montego Blue sport pkg, premium pkg, Logic 7 sound, iDrive/Nav
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
splitsecond is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
This is not a honda accord... don't treat it like one.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #26
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
 
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (6)

Shaking my head.
__________________
3 stage manifold, Mapleridge headers, AA tune, Injen intake, 135i exhaust fitted to 128 mids, blackline tails, Depo headlights w/ 8000k LED angel eyes and xenons, 8000k xenon fogs, Lowered on eibach springs, m3 lower control arms, 264's in anthracite with a red lip wrapped in hankook v12's
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
andrey_gta
Colonel
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 2,577
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Yes - bc only lists e9x coilovers, they have 7kg/mm and 11kg/mm, you can convert it to lb/in. There i no special offering for e8x

No, they're not a thing over here, standard springs. Plus i bought them used for supe cheap
Thanks dude! Now to find some used and think about SWIFT
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: n54 ssk, m3 trans mnt, e36M lip Wishlist: m3 susp, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, finn dif e60


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
1_dez
Private
 
Drives: 1er
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Haha I made the switch from ozhonda too welcome

Edit: I'm running bc ER coilovers on mine and it goes low. Can definitely slam it on the ground if you wanted but I went performance and handling > stance this time round.

Last edited by 1_dez; 11-17-2012 at 01:59 AM.
1_dez is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
Focusedintntions
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,662
iTrader: (1)

Go ahead brah and slam that bitch...maybe you'll end up with with the awesome under carriage like this guy...

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ella-fail.aspx
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Focusedintntions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Go ahead brah and slam that bitch...maybe you'll end up with with the awesome under carriage like this guy...

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ella-fail.aspx
Thank you for this, I will keep it on hand to show people any time they stretch their tires. Cuz it looks god awful anyways.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #31
DRedman45
First Lieutenant
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 e86 //M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern va

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS
Im looking for coilovers with 3-4 inches drop.

Hahaha. Have you owned a car that low? Stock ground clearance on my car was 5.5". With 3" drop, you would scrape on absolutely everything. Every speed bump up and down, every driveway in and out, every rise or dip in the road. Please report back on how it goes.[/quote]
My current car has less 2 inches of ground clearance, and I very very rarely scrape...just avoiding speed bumps haha....although my 1, won't be that low it will be lower than most haha

BCs are generally pretty stiff but they are a really nice low price performance coilover. They are under a grand brand new, and lots of adjustability. PTuning can get them to for about 1100 shipped in the us...not sure about overseas though
__________________
2007 //M Coupe. BSM. Fabspeed headers. Catless. BMS x-pipe. Strömung cans. evolve tune. Fortune/Broadway Static 500 coilovers.

My Build Thread
DRedman45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #32
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
I just dont understand why people want to take a car dedicated to performance and handling, and slam it as low as possible or stretch the tires so far you can see the inside of the rim... essentially take all of the handling away from the car. Its like you're castrating your well endowed car...
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
I just dont understand why people want to take a car dedicated to performance and handling, and slam it as low as possible or stretch the tires so far you can see the inside of the rim... essentially take all of the handling away from the car. Its like you're castrating your well endowed car...
Well, for me.. I CAN lower it below reasonable height (just a bit), to look a tad nicer

Then 20 minutes later (literally) raise it back up for max performance (and speed bumps lol)

I have 245's on my rear 9.5" wheel, it's a bit stretched but it's reasonably what fits on it, (minimum, is road legal), and was cheaper than 255's and closer to the front 235 for handling reasons) and i purchased it like this as it's guaranteed not to rub. Won't be this setup for long anyway.. The stretch for me doesn't hurt performance though, traction is a-ok - spending $500 on 8.5 wheels for the rear too, isn't worth it lol


That accord is crazy though lol.

The major issue with a tiny bit of stretch is the wheel lip has no protection.. Scrape city

Also, the subframe damage to that subie wouldn't just be from being really low, i know guys with <20mm ground clearance and zero damage

That's from cut/ground/compressed springs and mismatched dampers, bottoming out and bouncing around constantly - NOT from winding coilovers down and stiffening dampers. Unless they were a $250 set, then it's no better than cut springs
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #34
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Well, for me.. I CAN lower it below reasonable height (just a bit), to look a tad nicer

Then 20 minutes later (literally) raise it back up for max performance (and speed bumps lol)
You're gonna have really bad tire wear if you do that often and don't get a new alignment every time.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Well, for me.. I CAN lower it below reasonable height (just a bit), to look a tad nicer

Then 20 minutes later (literally) raise it back up for max performance (and speed bumps lol)
You're gonna have really bad tire wear if you do that often and don't get a new alignment every time.
Not if you lower it to park it (for a semi-extended time, say a whole day), then raise it to drive it, as it really only takes 10-15 minutes, even less for the fronts alone
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
DRedman45
First Lieutenant
 
DRedman45's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 e86 //M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern va

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Honestly my gti handles as well at 23.75" ftg as 25"...that will vary, but I honestly think really low cars look fantastic to an extent...like my friend with a ls1e36 who had a 215 on an 11" wheel is retarded and looks silly haha

But everyone modifys their car for different reasons. I like a balanced performance and look, so my future 135 will be low but still run 265s...if I had no self control I would stance a car and force myself to drive slow haha
__________________
2007 //M Coupe. BSM. Fabspeed headers. Catless. BMS x-pipe. Strömung cans. evolve tune. Fortune/Broadway Static 500 coilovers.

My Build Thread
DRedman45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #37
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Not if you lower it to park it (for a semi-extended time, say a whole day), then raise it to drive it, as it really only takes 10-15 minutes, even less for the fronts alone
True, if you weren't driving it at one setting then it would make no difference. Tho then i dont much see the point.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
NoOg_sTaR
Private
 
Drives: E82 135i, ZZT231
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

It's his car. If he wants to slam and stance it let him. No rub. No love.

Tyre stretch is not the end of the world, and to those that choose to slam and poke a car they are well aware of the consequences. If we choose to still do it regardless that is our choice. I wouldn't go as far as a 215 on a 10" but honestly a bit of stretch is fine.

I know I am new on this board. But reading some of the comments a few guys make here and there really makes me cringe. Get off the "BMW high horse" and also the "performance car only". Just because you have coil overs it does not mean you are a performance guru. I track my other car with poke without a care in the world.
NoOg_sTaR is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #39
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,543
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOg_sTaR
It's his car. If he wants to slam and stance it let him. No rub. No love.

Tyre stretch is not the end of the world, and to those that choose to slam and poke a car they are well aware of the consequences. If we choose to still do it regardless that is our choice. I wouldn't go as far as a 215 on a 10" but honestly a bit of stretch is fine.

I know I am new on this board. But reading some of the comments a few guys make here and there really makes me cringe. Get off the "BMW high horse" and also the "performance car only". Just because you have coil overs it does not mean you are a performance guru. I track my other car with poke without a care in the world.
A lot of drifters run a lot of poke *shrugs*, standing out works for them
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #40
Rein
New Member
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Too many keyboard heroes that take shit too seriously.

I understand that this is a performance car, I am planning to only drop the car about 2 inches, but I also wanted to have the option of being able to drop the car 3-4 inches if I wanted to for shows. You guys need to relax, I understand about performance, handling, stance, hella this hella that.. Ive had Coilovers and Airbags, theres a reason why I went for coils for the 135i and not bags. I know what I want to do with the car. IDGF what you want to do with your 135i, but my question was simple. "which coils give the most drop?"

Neways thanks for all the help and the opinions.
Rein is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #41
splitsecond
Space Admiral
 
splitsecond's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 317
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rein View Post
Too many keyboard heroes that take shit too seriously.

I understand that this is a performance car, I am planning to only drop the car about 2 inches, but I also wanted to have the option of being able to drop the car 3-4 inches if I wanted to for shows. You guys need to relax, I understand about performance, handling, stance, hella this hella that.. Ive had Coilovers and Airbags, theres a reason why I went for coils for the 135i and not bags. I know what I want to do with the car. IDGF what you want to do with your 135i, but my question was simple. "which coils give the most drop?"

Neways thanks for all the help and the opinions.
Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. People on this forum have the tendency to get quite preachy. Let a guy do what he wants with his property.

Sorry for my part in that.
__________________
2008 135i Montego Blue sport pkg, premium pkg, Logic 7 sound, iDrive/Nav
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
splitsecond is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
Hey i'm all for doing whatever you want to to your car, but if you make it look retarded, i'm gonna tell you.

And yes, drift cars stretch the tires... because they don't care about traction.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #43
Wescuddles
Lieutenant
 
Wescuddles's Avatar
 
Drives: bsm 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Hey i'm all for doing whatever you want to to your car, but if you make it look retarded, i'm gonna tell you.

And yes, drift cars stretch the tires... because they don't care about traction.
If you're going to be a fucking asshole, I'm going to tell you.
__________________
BSM 2008 135i
-VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip
Follow me on instagram: wescuddles
Wescuddles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #44
Stohlen
Major
 
Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waterford, Mi

Posts: 1,191
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
If you're going to be a fucking asshole, I'm going to tell you.
You're more than welcome to. Thats your prerogative as an america.

Whoops Canadian, you get that right too there.

Last edited by Stohlen; 11-29-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Stohlen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST