BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
zayzay
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Forge Intercooler

Just purchased the Forge intercooler. is anyone using it on their 1m and what do you think of the quality and performance of the forge intercooler? Do you see a performance increase? would appreciate any comments.
zayzay is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
ZA_1M
Private
 
Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Johannesburg

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Search button is your friend as a start, I'm sure its been well documented here
ZA_1M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,340
iTrader: (0)

Yes, a million threads on this, so I'm a bit loathe to replay but...

1) Intercoolers don't make power. They help you maintain power by warding off heat soak (and preventing the ecu from retarding timing due to heat)

2) Almost any aftermarket intercooler is a significant upgrade over the stock piece

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
 
ChrisBuer's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 616
iTrader: (0)

I have a Forge and its superb. My car holds boost very well and consistently throughout the year. I'm yet to measure the IATs but it certainly feels stronger on boost.
ChrisBuer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
 
E30 Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 271
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer
I have a Forge and its superb. My car holds boost very well and consistently throughout the year. I'm yet to measure the IATs but it certainly feels stronger on boost.
How much boost are you running? What tune?
E30 Racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,006
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I have a Forge and its superb. My car holds boost very well and consistently throughout the year. I'm yet to measure the IATs but it certainly feels stronger on boost.
What boost gauge or data logger are you using to support your claims?
__________________
_______________________
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Convenience Pkg/Premium Pkg/Harman Kardon/AFE Scoops/Berk Midpipes/P3 V2/BMS Catch Can/CF Rear Deck Spoiler/3M Clear Bra/3M Crystalline/Homelink/M Performance Steering Wheel
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Rsmatt
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 1m v/a
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northampton

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
What boost gauge or data logger are you using to support your claims?
What Chris is saying is that his car FEELS stronger with the forge intercooler than with the stock and this is certainly the case with mine as well although I don't have a forge intercooler I have an evolve one.
On the dyno with the standard intercooler the car loses power fairly quickly on multiple runs with the forge intercooler this was less evident, this I have been told is because the bigger intercooler helps remove heat quicker.
Chris and I for that matter don't run boost controllers on our cars but evolve have monitored mine when on there dyno whilst mapping my car to check the boost levels are correct, I can only assume that dms did the same.
Chris's car must run higher boost levels than mine though because his car is putting out the same bhp and torque figures with a less modifications. Specifically what these boost levels are I don't know but I'm sure evolve and dms will tell you if you contact them.
__________________
Evolve de-cat full system, evolve intercooler, stage 3.1 re-map, csl style bootlid, bmw performance seats and steering wheel, schroth harness, bilstien pss10 suspension, ds2500 pads
Rsmatt is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
 
E30 Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 271
iTrader: (1)

This what I'm curious about. The Forge IC is nice, but with higher and sustained boost, I wonder how it actually performs compared to the larger ER, AMS, or HPF offerings.
E30 Racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,006
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmatt View Post
What Chris is saying is that his car FEELS stronger with the forge intercooler than with the stock and this is certainly the case with mine as well although I don't have a forge intercooler I have an evolve one.
On the dyno with the standard intercooler the car loses power fairly quickly on multiple runs with the forge intercooler this was less evident, this I have been told is because the bigger intercooler helps remove heat quicker.
Chris and I for that matter don't run boost controllers on our cars but evolve have monitored mine when on there dyno whilst mapping my car to check the boost levels are correct, I can only assume that dms did the same.
Chris's car must run higher boost levels than mine though because his car is putting out the same bhp and torque figures with a less modifications. Specifically what these boost levels are I don't know but I'm sure evolve and dms will tell you if you contact them.
Air to Air intercooler works on the basis of outside temperature and air flow through the cooling fins. From what I've noticed, on a hot (>85F) sunny day your intercooler will only be able to cool down your IATs to outside ambient temp +12F if you're traveling greater than 45 MPH. Once you stop moving, cooling essentially stops. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't see how you UK guys would have much heat soak issues due to the climate in the UK rarely getting above 80F unless you're constantly sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. In Houston, we easily average >95F in the summer and I've seen IATs in the 140F when sitting in traffic. I feel my aftermarket intercooler does help remove heat quicker, but it's not instantaneous and still takes several minutes, definitely longer than it takes to do a run on a dyno, depending on how much air flow is going through the intercooler.

I just want to let everyone know that unless you're running higher boost that would raise the IATs due to increased heat generated by the turbos, you're not going to feel any difference in peformance with an aftermarket air to air FMIC unless you live in a hot climate.

If you're tracking your car, the best way to prevent excessive heat soak is to raise your hood/bonnet in between sessions.

I'd like to hear experiences from other 1M owners regarding this topic.
__________________
_______________________
2011 1 Series M Coupe/VO/Convenience Pkg/Premium Pkg/Harman Kardon/AFE Scoops/Berk Midpipes/P3 V2/BMS Catch Can/CF Rear Deck Spoiler/3M Clear Bra/3M Crystalline/Homelink/M Performance Steering Wheel
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
 
Derek8819's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 346
iTrader: (4)

I think you're right on the money as to the who needs an intercooler issue. My only worry is that the increased boost from the factory on the 1M already is too much heat generated for the factory cooler. Maybe on a standard 135 it's fine, maybe the BMW engineers looked at the 1Ms added boost and didn't think cooling was an issue, but I worry is they said...... It's good enough.
Derek8819 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
 
E30 Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 271
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819
I think you're right on the money as to the who needs an intercooler issue. My only worry is that the increased boost from the factory on the 1M already is too much heat generated for the factory cooler. Maybe on a standard 135 it's fine, maybe the BMW engineers looked at the 1Ms added boost and didn't think cooling was an issue, but I worry is they said...... It's good enough.
Are you sure about this? 1M overboost only lasts for 8 seconds a shot. Like bdaddylo said, it would be good to hear from the 1M guys who have recorded their intake air temperatures at the track with stock boost on hot days.
E30 Racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST