BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
StrkdM3
Private First Class
 
StrkdM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

Love this thread!
__________________
08 Interlagos: Dinan 4.6L, Brembos, Active Exhaust, Hartge wheels and bodywork...
FOR SALE http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...3#post12743693
StrkdM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 909
iTrader: (0)

I have also a set EC-7 Apex wheels. Very nice happy with them.

This wheel looks almost perfect. For me 2 things then it was the perfect wheel in looks.

Where the logo sits. I wish it was completely flat the logo is popping out 3 a 4 mm. Most OZ wheels have that also but even more extreme thats not nice.

the other thing.

I wish the spokes were more to outside ring like the orginal 19 inch competition wheels. It give the wheels a bigger look. They look an inch bigger then.

That s for a perfect wheel But this will do. It s also not a very expensive wheel so very good for trackdays and drifting fun.

Last edited by Advevo; 12-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 711
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I'm thinking about going to a square setup for the street. 18x10 all running 275s. I really like the way the car handles on square setup, tires are less expensive and most inportantantly I can rotate front to back. I'm on my third set of rear tires with less than 20k miles and first set of fronts still have plenty of life.

Normally I would go with the lightest option but since these will be for the street, form is important too. I love the look of the stock wheels so Id like to go with as close to stock looking as possible. I can't tell what's closer to the stock wheel the EC-7 or ARC-8? It looks to me like the 7s have more curvature or concavity to them whereas the 8s are more flat faced. Which look closer to the BMW wheels currently on the 1m?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
IMO the ec-7 looks more like the stock wheels. Thinking about running the same 18x10 setup...
The EC-7's definitely emulate the look the of the stock 1M wheels much more than the ARC-8's. The EC-7's have a curved spoke much like the 1M wheels where the ARC-8 has straight spokes. A square set up for the street is a great idea but please keep in mind that the 18x10" ET25 and 275/35/18 wheel/tire combination on the 1M is the absolute maximum square wheel and tire fitment that can be achieved besides a shorter sidewall 285/30/18 tire. Adjustable camber plates are a necessity with this fitment and grazing the fender liner at full steering lock is a very likely possibility. The 18x10" ET25 square set up will also have a very wide front track which is great for HPDE's and track events because it reduces understeer but it also attributes to a greater amount of rocks and road debris hitting the side of the car. Another possible less aggressive square set up for your 1M on the street could be the 18x9.5" ET22 wheels square with a 265/35/18 tire and then use a 12-15mm wheel spacer in the rear for aesthetic purposes.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |

Last edited by ApexRaceParts; 12-20-2012 at 01:40 PM.
ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
robertm
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

Posts: 876
iTrader: (0)

All good points Joe. I'm currently running 295s in the back now so dropping down to 265s just isn't going to happen. I'll go 275 to start then probably play around with camber plates and see if I can get 285s to jam in the front at a later date. I just love me some wiiide square setups!
robertm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 711
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
All good points Joe. I'm currently running 295s in the back now so dropping down to 265s just isn't going to happen. I'll go 275 to start then probably play around with camber plates and see if I can get 285s to jam in the front at a later date. I just love me some wiiide square setups!
Totally understandable, some of us just love super beefy set ups . If you do end up going with a 285 width tire in the future make sure it is has a 30 series sidewall. A 285/35/18 is a very tall tire and you would have a lot of trouble using that tire in the front of your car even if you had a maximum amount of negative camber there would still most likely be fender liner rubbing at any kind of steering angle that is more than 1 full turn of the wheel.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
robertm
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

Posts: 876
iTrader: (0)

Oh yah, agreed 285/30 is the only option in that width. I'm waiting for a group buy in the 18x10s and will almost certainly install 275s in the spring. Once those are done I'll probably pick up some camber plates and give 285s a try. I'm hoping with a square setup I can make the 275s last a year. Will see, I'm not so good at tire preservation on the street
robertm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

Posts: 3,462
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I just love me some wiiide square setups!
amen!
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor
M3 Adjuster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
schlümpfy
Almost there
 
schlümpfy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW instant classic
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On the move

Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (0)

Same wheels see.. post21... different car color
Attached Images
    

Last edited by schlümpfy; 12-23-2012 at 09:18 AM.
schlümpfy is offline   Christmas Island
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #31
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

Sizes

David, If I get a set of 18x9 ET 31 and 18x10 ET 25 (or ET 27) Do you see a problem running 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 Pilot Supersports on a bone stock 1M?

Don't want rubbing.

Also, do you have these sizes in stock in Silver and Anthracite?


Thank you.
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #32
LotusBoy
Private First Class
 
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brussels

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Hey, GS/e60 ! Gorgeous colour and wheel combination. Are you ready to attract some attention ? See you, Deejay.
LotusBoy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
schlümpfy
Almost there
 
schlümpfy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW instant classic
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: On the move

Posts: 1,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Hey, GS/e60 ! Gorgeous colour and wheel combination. Are you ready to attract some attention ? See you, Deejay.
what? where? ......
schlümpfy is offline   Christmas Island
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

Does anyone know if the APEX 18x9 ET 31 will fit the 1M in front? This is the same offset and width as the stock wheels but in 18". It seems like it should fit there is no exchange so if I buy them and they don't fit, I'm stuck with them. Anyone here try them?

I want to run stock 18" M3 size 245/40/18s in front and want a stock look.

Thanks
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #35
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

Any interest in EC-7s in Hyper Black?

I love the EC-7 and the Hyper Black color in the ARC8. ApEX says if they got 25 orders of the same wheel, they could order Hyper black. Anyone here interested? I'm going to post it on M3 forums too.

The size would be 18x9.5 ET 22 and 18x10.5 ET 27


Just imagine the EC-7 in Hyper Black!

Silver



Hyper Black (for color reference)


Post on here if you would be seriously interested!

Thank you.
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #36
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 909
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Does anyone know if the APEX 18x9 ET 31 will fit the 1M in front? This is the same offset and width as the stock wheels but in 18". It seems like it should fit there is no exchange so if I buy them and they don't fit, I'm stuck with them. Anyone here try them?

I want to run stock 18" M3 size 245/40/18s in front and want a stock look.

Thanks
I have the Et31 9x18 apex front and it fits no problem. 9.5 et 22 you need more camber in front to have nice look. I don t like that the wheels stick out.

Also 265 front and 285 or 295 rear on such a small car is to wide for me. It kills all the fun for me. If you like to drive on rails you can always take the train.


You can even use the 9j et31 on all 4 corners but you need a 20mm spacer rear if you looking for a winter setup for youre 1M.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have the Et31 9x18 apex front and it fits no problem. 9.5 et 22 you need more camber in front to have nice look. I don t like that the wheels stick out.

Also 265 front and 285 or 295 rear on such a small car is to wide for me. It kills all the fun for me. If you like to drive on rails you can always take the train.


You can even use the 9j et31 on all 4 corners but you need a 20mm spacer rear if you looking for a winter setup for youre 1M.
Yes, I am leaning to stock E90 M3 sizes and since I want to run them on the street also worried about stuff flying off the front with the wider track sticking out.

I must admit that I would like some more traction in the rear which is why I was also considering a wider setup but I'm hoping with Pilot Super Sports or Yokohama AD-08s that I would get that.


Thank you.
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have also a set EC-7 Apex wheels. Very nice happy with them.

This wheel looks almost perfect. For me 2 things then it was the perfect wheel in looks.

Where the logo sits. I wish it was completely flat the logo is popping out 3 a 4 mm. Most OZ wheels have that also but even more extreme thats not nice.

the other thing.

I wish the spokes were more to outside ring like the orginal 19 inch competition wheels. It give the wheels a bigger look. They look an inch bigger then.

That s for a perfect wheel But this will do. It s also not a very expensive wheel so very good for trackdays and drifting fun.
Can you post some pics of your car with 18x9 to see how they look? I have an AW car. Thanks.
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
Advevo
Captain
 
Drives: White 1M
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

Posts: 909
iTrader: (0)

Very bad pic. Try to make better ones soon.

I have a 20mm spacer rear. 9x18 Et31 front and rear. I will use 9.5J ET22 profile 3 rear and add a 10mm spacer.

But you can go with 9j allround for a nice winter setup if you wish.


Last edited by Advevo; 12-30-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Advevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 711
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
David, If I get a set of 18x9 ET 31 and 18x10 ET 25 (or ET 27) Do you see a problem running 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 Pilot Supersports on a bone stock 1M?

Don't want rubbing.

Also, do you have these sizes in stock in Silver and Anthracite?


Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Does anyone know if the APEX 18x9 ET 31 will fit the 1M in front? This is the same offset and width as the stock wheels but in 18". It seems like it should fit there is no exchange so if I buy them and they don't fit, I'm stuck with them. Anyone here try them?

I want to run stock 18" M3 size 245/40/18s in front and want a stock look.

Thanks
The 18x9" ET31 is a direct fitment for the front of your 1M's and can easily use a 255/35/18 or wider 265/35/18 tire if you are willing to stuff a wider tire onto the wheel and lose a little bit of sidewall response for grip. A 245/40/18 will also fit on the 18x9" ET31 fairly well even with i's narrower 245mm width because of it's taller 40 series sidewall.

In staggered set ups we prefer to see the 18x10.5" ET27 mounted in the rear. It provides ideal wheel fitment where some may prefer a small wheel spacer for the 18x10" ET25 and the 10.5" supports much wider tires better and would give better response out of a 285/35/18.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #41
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,608
iTrader: (3)

I got my wheels yesterday and opened up two of the four and I must say I am very happy. The packing was very good. Two wheel boxes packed into one bigger box which gives is an extra layer of cardboard. The individual wheels had a think fabric cover on the face surrounded by a very cool plastic protector ring and an extra cardboard cushion on top. The plastic is a very cool touch. The Anthracite color looks much better in real life than in pictures. For some reason it comes across as very dark in pictures but it has a clearcoat glimmer that is very nice in person. Thanks to Joe at APEX!

I went ahead and got the 18x9 ET 31 front and 18x10 ET 25 rear. I am 51% leaning to stock M3 sizes (245/40/18 and 265/40/18) . Joe mentions I would be giving up some sidewall response with 265 on 9" and 285 on 10 and this is worrying me a bit so I'm leaning to the stock sizes unless someone here has personal experience with this setup that could confirm that the sidewall response degradation is not significant.

Thanks again to everyone here... including Joe and Advevo!
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
bdaddylo
Major
 
bdaddylo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1,086
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I got my wheels yesterday and opened up two of the four and I must say I am very happy. The packing was very good. Two wheel boxes packed into one bigger box which gives is an extra layer of cardboard. The individual wheels had a think fabric cover on the face surrounded by a very cool plastic protector ring and an extra cardboard cushion on top. The plastic is a very cool touch. The Anthracite color looks much better in real life than in pictures. For some reason it comes across as very dark in pictures but it has a clearcoat glimmer that is very nice in person. Thanks to Joe at APEX!

I went ahead and got the 18x9 ET 31 front and 18x10 ET 25 rear. I am 51% leaning to stock M3 sizes (245/40/18 and 265/40/18) . Joe mentions I would be giving up some sidewall response with 265 on 9" and 285 on 10 and this is worrying me a bit so I'm leaning to the stock sizes unless someone here has personal experience with this setup that could confirm that the sidewall response degradation is not significant.

Thanks again to everyone here... including Joe and Advevo!
If you're autocrosing and not addressing the lack of front-end camber then the degradation I feel is insignificant. Also, unless you prefer understeer bias, then I stray away from stock sizes.
__________________
_______________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP/AW/Ohlins R&T
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #43
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 711
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I got my wheels yesterday and opened up two of the four and I must say I am very happy. The packing was very good. Two wheel boxes packed into one bigger box which gives is an extra layer of cardboard. The individual wheels had a think fabric cover on the face surrounded by a very cool plastic protector ring and an extra cardboard cushion on top. The plastic is a very cool touch. The Anthracite color looks much better in real life than in pictures. For some reason it comes across as very dark in pictures but it has a clearcoat glimmer that is very nice in person. Thanks to Joe at APEX!

I went ahead and got the 18x9 ET 31 front and 18x10 ET 25 rear. I am 51% leaning to stock M3 sizes (245/40/18 and 265/40/18) . Joe mentions I would be giving up some sidewall response with 265 on 9" and 285 on 10 and this is worrying me a bit so I'm leaning to the stock sizes unless someone here has personal experience with this setup that could confirm that the sidewall response degradation is not significant.

Thanks again to everyone here... including Joe and Advevo!
Great to hear that you are loving the wheels, it is very hard to convey the Anthracite finish to people over the phone, email, and pm's but once you see it in person it is a very striking color.

The times where a loss in sidewall response would be evident are mostly only during Auto X and tight transitional areas on a track. If you are driving the car on the street 80% of the time and only doing a few Auto X's and track days here and there than the 265/35/18 on an 18x9" ET31 should absolutely work fine for you.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
ApexRaceParts is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #44
///1M
Captain
 
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: between Indiana and the alley

Posts: 605
iTrader: (0)

.
///1M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST