BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Redlyne_mr2
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m, mr2 turbo, Land Rover

Ferrari 355 or 1m?

So I've owned my 1m since new and I love it. I've always had the dream to own a 355 however and the 1m is holding it's value so well that selling it would allow me to buy a 355. I know the 355 is 15 years older, a lot slower and a lot less reliable. It's a child hood dream car however, the problem I'm having is if it's worth selling the 1 to buy the Ferrari. Any F car owners here? Thoughts?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Funny that you said this, look what I have for you

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=Ferrrari+355
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

With Italian cars... its not the entry price but the cost of ownership, ie service costs that is $$$$

Here is an interesting video... some food for thought on what it really takes to maintain Italian cars... be sure to watch the bit on the Ferrai 328i (go to 10:51)

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I dunno. Are you fire-resistant like this guy?

Seriously, I think this is a bad idea. But then, I consider all Italian performance cars to be a very rich person's hobby (or a rich poseur's folly - pick one).

I guess the 355 is when the reliability started ticking up.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
While the 355 will sound great I think you will find it disappointing compared to the 1M. In early September I went to a national Ferrari event with my brother. It was a four day event and he drove his 575 Maranello and I drove my 1M. There were multiple 355's, 360's, 430's, a few McClarens, one 458, one FF, one 599 and a number of Maserati's. Over the first two days we drove about 600 miles through the back roads of NW Arkansas. It was great fun and never was the 1M anything but comfortable and stable. We parked for lunches and dinners and I had more people want to talk about the 1M than almost any of the less unique cars like the 355. I was surprised that after 4 days I left not wanting a Ferrari.

I think the 355 is a bargain for a 15 year old car. I think technology has improved so much in those 15 years though that it would soon feel old and you would wish for the comfort of the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

As someone who has owned a number of Ferrari's, currently owns a very nice '89 328GTB, and who is in the Ferrari business, the F355 repairs and general maintenence can and most likely will exceed the value of the car in just a few years. We have a saying that goes "if you can't afford a new one, you can't afford an old one.." While this might be something of an exaggeration, it's not far off the mark. My strong recommendation for guys looking to get into their first Ferrari is the F430 model. It has proven itself to be an extremely reliable, fast, and comfortable Ferrari, with very low service and ownership costs. It is a new enough car that it falls under the Ferrari "Certified Pre-owned" program and can be bought with a warranty from an authorized dealership, and can be covered year-by-year up to the car's 10th year. Even the first-year 2005 F430's were exceptionally good cars that I would not hesitate to buy, even with higher mileage. A 2005 coupe with 10-20k miles will typically sell for $115-125k if it's CPO, depending on color, miles, and equipment.

If you want an F355 simply because you love that particular model, just go into it with eyes wide open, do a lot of research on the model, and make sure you have at least double what you budget for repairs and service set aside. If a $10-15k service bill is something you can't handle, don't even consider it. If you are dead-set on one, buy the best one you can find, and from an authorized Ferrari dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
As someone who has owned a number of Ferrari's, currently owns a very nice '89 328GTB, and who is in the Ferrari business, the F355 repairs and general maintenence can and most likely will exceed the value of the car in just a few years. We have a saying that goes "if you can't afford a new one, you can't afford an old one.." While this might be something of an exaggeration, it's not far off the mark. My strong recommendation for guys looking to get into their first Ferrari is the F430 model. It has proven itself to be an extremely reliable, fast, and comfortable Ferrari, with very low service and ownership costs. It is a new enough car that it falls under the Ferrari "Certified Pre-owned" program and can be bought with a warranty from an authorized dealership, and can be covered year-by-year up to the car's 10th year. Even the first-year 2005 F430's were exceptionally good cars that I would not hesitate to buy, even with higher mileage. A 2005 coupe with 10-20k miles will typically sell for $115-125k if it's CPO, depending on color, miles, and equipment.

If you want an F355 simply because you love that particular model, just go into it with eyes wide open, do a lot of research on the model, and make sure you have at least double what you budget for repairs and service set aside. If a $10-15k service bill is something you can't handle, don't even consider it. If you are dead-set on one, buy the best one you can find, and from an authorized Ferrari dealer.
Good info! but you left out the part where you ship that Ferrari down to me for free :P

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Honestly, I was considering going 360 Modena if I couldn't snag an allocation for my 1M.
      12-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
nola1m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 458S

As an original owner of a 1M and an owner of a '99 355 berlinetta, I can offer a direct comparison. I love my 1M. I drive it every day and it is incredibly fast and understated. I get an occasional thumbs up from a BMW guy but most people see it as a little BMW and I like the stealth. It is comfortable to drive and is incredibly affordable to service (free in the USA -- don't know about the northern cousins). It makes great noises and can push the right buttons when pressed.

The 355 on the other hand is a little slower and less comfortable to get into and out of. The doors are surpisingly huge and require a large space to open -- not convenient for a daily driver in the city where parking can be a problem. Further, if you don't want people looking at you then the Ferrari is not the answer. Mine is 13 years old and old women, young boys and everyone in between stares at the car when it goes by. It is about the most incredible sensation to hear and feel that car open up. It is incredibly stimulating in ways the BMW isn't and is surprisingly comfortable on long drives. The biggest downside is the cost of ownership. I have a great mechanic who is very reasonable, but major services are indeed major and I think you can reasonably expect to spend $5k/year in service on the Ferrari if you take care of it and want it to be right for the long run. If you know what to expect, then I think it isn't a shock.

I love both of my cars and have the best of both worlds. I really can't recommend one over the other, but there are plusses and minuses to each. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

You drive that 355 in NO? That is impressive by itself with the streets there.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I wonder how much more difficult to work on a Ferrari than a BMW. Is it a DIY project just to do do routine maintenace (i.e. Oil change)? What kind of major service, are you talking about value adjustment and timing belt, water pump replacement ... etc.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
nola1m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 458S

Really anything other than an oil change or spark plugs requires the engine to be dropped out of the car to access it. This is a change in the 360 and later cars which requires a lot less time and work to change the belts. You certainly could do it yourself (I have a friend who services his himself, but you would need the ability to drop the engine out of the car for the work. Oil changes are no different than any other car, but the relative costs compared to a belt change is substantial.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
You drive that 355 in NO? That is impressive by itself with the streets there.
I agree, I drove my 996 GT3 to NO to get serviced just recently. Holy Cow! The roads are not sports car friendly to say the least....
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)
Appreciate 0