BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Ian, the question espesially for you - How does it feel to use midpipes?
I found Berk midpipes and I think they are not that loud that Maddads, am I right?
I don't want my exhaust to be very loud,because my SS race muffler is one of the loudest in the market if don't tolk about Maistercraft streight pipes...
So the SS resonated mids are very expensive and then I have 3 ways:
n55
Berk
Maddad

right? but I think that Berk and Maddad is better because they have 2 resonators instead of 1 in n55
I have Evolve Race which is probably exact same like yours mated with N55 mids, it doesn't make it much louder at all, one reason why I chose the N55 mids and I think they are just fine, especially considering the price. If I wanted really loud at all rpms then I would skip others and swallow the bill and go for the SS straight mid pipes but it's more than enough sound for me as it is now.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I found Berk midpipes and I think they are not that loud that Maddads, am I right?
I don't want my exhaust to be very loud,because my SS race muffler is one of the loudest in the market if don't tolk about Maistercraft streight pipes...
n55
Berk
Maddad

right? but I think that Berk and Maddad is better because they have 2 resonators instead of 1 in n55
Never heard Berks in person. Sound is an individual thing and everyone likes a different noise. I personally think N55 mids are a waste of time. See my thread for info and videos http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656965
      12-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #25
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: VO 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Never heard Berks in person. Sound is an individual thing and everyone likes a different noise. I personally think N55 mids are a waste of time. See my thread for info and videos http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656965
Tnx!
And one more question about aftermarket mids - Does the exhaust smell worse? Like when you drive with open windows in the traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I have Evolve Race which is probably exact same like yours mated with N55 mids, it doesn't make it much louder at all, one reason why I chose the N55 mids and I think they are just fine, especially considering the price. If I wanted really loud at all rpms then I would skip others and swallow the bill and go for the SS straight mid pipes but it's more than enough sound for me as it is now.
What is the price of n55 mids?
Berk mids are $599 + $50 shipping to Russia from their site, I think that is good prise and they are 2.5" which is not that loud like 3.0" Maddad
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Tnx!
And one more question about aftermarket mids - Does the exhaust smell worse? Like when you drive with open windows in the traffic...

What is the price of n55 mids?
Berk mids are $599 + $50 shipping to Russia from their site, I think that is good prise and they are 2.5" which is not that loud like 3.0" Maddad
There is no way that you will have a gas smell because of a mid pipe change since you still will keep primary cats in your down pipes. No one in my knowledge reported any issue like this with any of the well known aftermarket midpipes.

Price depends on where you order it and from whom. In US it can be as cheap as 300 USD, in Europe can be a bit more than 400 plus shipping. Try not to order from official BMW dealer if you don't want to pay more.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: VO 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
There is no way that you will have a gas smell because of a mid pipe change since you still will keep primary cats in your down pipes. No one in my knowledge reported any issue like this with any of the well known aftermarket midpipes.

Price depends on where you order it and from whom. In US it can be as cheap as 300 USD, in Europe can be a bit more than 400 plus shipping. Try not to order from official BMW dealer if you don't want to pay more.
I figured out that it is relly expensive to ship midpipes to Russia, so I got just 1 way - yo go with n55 midpipes which I can find here... I found it for about $500 and try to find it cheaper through my friend in the dilership

So if I undestood I will have the good full bolt-on for the st.1 and I think it will be stable and reliable)
Tnx guys! On spring. after the installation I will write down a lil review on my mods!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
This is not quite accurate. When I installed my catless midpipes (Akrapovic), everyone in my family noticed. Not horrible (unlike catless downpipes), but there is a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
This is not quite accurate. When I installed my catless midpipes (Akrapovic), everyone in my family noticed. Not horrible (unlike catless downpipes), but there is a difference.
Interesting this. I am a quite sensitive person when it comes to bad smells and so, and most of the time, especially if I am not going too fast I always drive with window down, no a/c, after the install of N55 mids which are catless and Evolve Race rear exhaust I have sensed zero change vs stock, absolutely nothing. I agree that it is a pair of cats less so there should be some change but there actually is nothing to talk about, whatever it is it must be too small a difference.

Or the resonator of the N55 mids has a hidden function!

Or your downpipe got weaker because of the badass Akra mids?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #30
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
n55
Berk
Maddad

The increase in loudness is noticeable, but nothing drastic that you should be concerned about.
      12-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Maddads had no smell and noticeable noise increase. Dyno showed extra 11kw.

Smell can sometimes just be the pipes settling in for the first few hours.