BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Zuzu
Major General

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
ya'll a bunch of soft cocks, why not get ya mum to drive it for ya while your at it

imho turn it all off, this is a challenge of you AND car against the track. Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?

Sure you have the chance of losing it, but if thats what your worried about don't go to the track.
Agree 100%..

I know, I know, I know, BUT.... back in the old days ( early 1980's... ), My V8 stroker ( low 12 sec ) XU1, only had "White knuckle" nannies..

You learnt to drive the old school way... where is Uncle Pete when you need him..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
beemer
force fed Member

Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
ya'll a bunch of soft cocks, why not get ya mum to drive it for ya while your at it

imho turn it all off, this is a challenge of you AND car against the track. Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?

Sure you have the chance of losing it, but if thats what your worried about don't go to the track.

lol Pav your a man of your word, i've got some good footage of you doing just that with those crappy rear tyres you had on at EC

IMHO a good set of tyres is essential, as good as having traction control on. i highly recommend semi slicks or something as good for track days then slowly take the nannies off.
beemer is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
pavo335
Banned

Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
lol Pav your a man of your word, i've got some good footage of you doing just that with those crappy rear tyres you had on at EC

IMHO a good set of tyres is essential, as good as having traction control on. i highly recommend semi slicks or something as good for track days then slowly take the nannies off.
post the footage

i figure i should be able to drive the car with worn streets and get a good line before i get extra grip that will mask bad driving lines and as you saw i still need some improving.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Nugget
Major

Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?
This. DTC is still too keen to cut the power when track driving. Although, after doing a wet track night on Wednesday I am definitely faster in the wet with DTC on than in TIMYOYO mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
Zuzu
Major General

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
This. DTC is still too keen to cut the power when track driving. Although, after doing a wet track night on Wednesday I am definitely faster in the wet with DTC on than in TIMYOYO mode.
I don't know if any of you remember these shirts from a few years back..
Attached Images

Last edited by Zuzu; 12-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Zuzu is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
With the 1M, MDM mode will be quicker than all systems off/on.
MDM is designed for the track and allows a moderate amount of loss of traction and lateral movement before cutting in.
All 'on' is designed for the road.
All 'off' for skid pans, burnouts, drifting, fun until you put into a wall
      12-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
beemer
force fed Member

Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
post the footage

i figure i should be able to drive the car with worn streets and get a good line before i get extra grip that will mask bad driving lines and as you saw i still need some improving.

i think you went pretty hard with those tyres and that stinking hot track. if i can work out how to post video i will put it up. the position of the camera was pretty average however.
beemer is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #30
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I don't know if any of you remember these shirts from a few years back..
Love it hahaha. I was wondering what that meant.
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #31
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket

Drives: 135i N55

Quote:

So if it's car against track and we are all soft, why upgrade to big breaks, non run flats, KW's and M3 suspension - isn't it all part of the same game. Some people keep the nannies on to inspire confidence others bolt on mods?

Last edited by Wrniknbl; 12-14-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Wrniknbl is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #32
uds135
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2010 135i n55

i found that kickback is the scariest thing about getting sideways in the 1er. Even in TIMYOYO mode to catch a slide you require very minimal countersteering compared to cars with a longer wheelbase imo. I had a few scares initially but its not that bad when you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #33
pavo335
Banned

Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrniknbl
Quote:

So if it's car against track and we are all soft, why upgrade to big breaks, non run flats, KW's and M3 suspension - isn't it all part of the same game. Some people keep the nannies on to inspire confidence others bolt on mods?
Ahhhh simple I'm the one in control not a piece of software driving the car.
Appreciate 0