BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Tail lights unreliably light up when unlocking vehicle

I have Blackline tail lights. In the past the tail lights would always light up when unlocking the car - even during the day when it's bright out. Now, even in the evening, they don't always light up. Door hands light up every time. My headlight switch is in the auto position. Any ideas?

Last edited by Adam135; 12-14-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
 
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (6)

Test it with the headlight switch in the on position. Not sure if that will affect it but i know for a fact they should always light up with the headlight switch in that position when unlocking.
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Test it with the headlight switch in the on position. Not sure if that will affect it but i know for a fact they should always light up with the headlight switch in that position when unlocking.
Didn't make a difference.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
 
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (6)

Check fuses/bulbs or if your in warranty just bring it to the dealer. They'll probably replace both units. Could use it as an opportunity for LCI or LCI blacklines if you dig the look.
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Check fuses/bulbs or if your in warranty just bring it to the dealer. They'll probably replace both units. Could use it as an opportunity for LCI or LCI blacklines if you dig the look.
Already running LCI blacklines lol. If I turn on the headlights the LED light bars light up, so they aren't busted.

Last edited by Adam135; 12-22-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
 
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 1,785
iTrader: (6)

ooh looks like i can't read tonight hahah. So you mean the LED strip then? It's possible it's burned out.. but thats unlikely being that it is LED's. Maybe there's a loose connection or something strange going on. they don't like up at all correct?
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
ooh looks like i can't read tonight hahah. So you mean the LED strip then? It's possible it's burned out.. but thats unlikely being that it is LED's. Maybe there's a loose connection or something strange going on. they don't like up at all correct?
They light up when my headlights are on, but they no longer light up when I unlock my vehicle. I'm having battery drain issues (CC-ID 415) so it might not be lighting them up because it thinks the battery is low. I'll see what BMW says next week. Also getting this ID

Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
They light up when my headlights are on, but they no longer light up when I unlock my vehicle. I'm having battery drain issues (CC-ID 415) so it might not be lighting them up because it thinks the battery is low. I'll see what BMW says next week. Also getting this ID

Do the fronts light up when you unlock? just to make sure do you have "Welcome Lights" option checked in the light settings?
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Do the fronts light up when you unlock? just to make sure do you have "Welcome Lights" option checked in the light settings?
The turn signals flash when I unlock the car - that should mean Welcome Lights is enabled?
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
The turn signals flash when I unlock the car - that should mean Welcome Lights is enabled?
No, welcome lights are when the rear LED strips light up with the front angel eyes. Since your car is none i-Drive not sure how you would enable that. That's how it is on my car. Maybe I will do a quick video, just give me a couple of minutes.
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
No, welcome lights are when the rear LED strips light up with the front angel eyes. Since your car is none i-Drive not sure how you would enable that. That's how it is on my car. Maybe I will do a quick video, just give me a couple of minutes.
My angel eyes don't light up either. I appreciate your help! I looked through the menu and found some settings but nothing for welcome lights. I'm looking through the manual now.

The battery icon appears on the dash only a minute or so after going through the menu options. I wish I could just replace it myself.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #12
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
vid
Yep, I swear mine used to be like that - but now it's not I still think it might be battery related.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Yep, I swear mine used to be like that - but now it's not I still think it might be battery related.
I remember the dealer saying that if the battery is going bad, then the car could through different random errors and behave unpredictably. Guess your battery is need of a change.
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
x5mad
Major
 
x5mad's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Sounds battery related as a few here have already pointed to.

If your battery is low the car will try to conserve as much battery as possible so that the car can still start. This will involve turning off the welcome DRL and rear lights to conserve power.

This happened to my X5 when battery was low. Did not happen after I charge my battery.
x5mad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
wv128bmw
Private
 
wv128bmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: wv

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

You can change your battery. Put a battery charger on the terminals then unhook them from old battery. Put in new hook up wires and the unhook charger.
__________________
If your not livin now, then when?
wv128bmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv128bmw View Post
You can change your battery. Put a battery charger on the terminals then unhook them from old battery. Put in new hook up wires and the unhook charger.
Batteries need coding
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,382
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
They light up when my headlights are on, but they no longer light up when I unlock my vehicle. I'm having battery drain issues (CC-ID 415) so it might not be lighting them up because it thinks the battery is low. I'll see what BMW says next week. Also getting this ID


Sounds like its your footwell module. They control all the lighting up and dimming of the lights on the car. They also control the Xenon AHL lights. And a new one ain't cheap! Maybe contact United or Tischer BMW for their price.


IF it is your battery - you can check it with a simple VOM (volt ohm meter). Read how many volts the battery is putting out with the engine off and car parked for a few hours(or over night). A good battery should have at least 12.8volts. Anything less and the battery is on its way out. Also check the battery voltage with the engine running. You should have at least 13.4 volts dc.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 907
iTrader: (2)

I left my car connected to a Battery Tender Plus over night. When I unlocked it this morning the tail lights and AEs lit right up Will look at getting the battery replaced. I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

Last edited by Adam135; 12-23-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
ZLuxuryLife
- Bubble Head -
 
ZLuxuryLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E82 128i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I also noticed there are times when my lights do not come on when I unlock the car.
(I am referring to all lights together associated with unlocking: front / rear / interior.)

However, I observed that this occurs with my vehicle only when I happen to repeatedly
lock and unlock the car, over the course of approximately five (5) to ten (10) minutes.

IE: This would be over the course of removing items from the car during multiple trips.
Typically, during the third or fourth trip back, my lights do not turn on during unlocking.

I believe it may be a function for the purpose of extending the lifetime of the lights, as
I know after a period of time leaving the vehicle parked and locked, the lights do turn
on when I unlock the vehicle. I have noticed this event occur with my car a few times.

I've been meaning to ask the dealer during my next visit. I will post my findings here.
ZLuxuryLife is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #21
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLuxuryLife View Post
I also noticed there are times when my lights do not come on when I unlock the car.
(I am referring to all lights together associated with unlocking: front / rear / interior.)

However, I observed that this occurs with my vehicle only when I happen to repeatedly
lock and unlock the car, over the course of approximately five (5) to ten (10) minutes.

IE: This would be over the course of removing items from the car during multiple trips.
Typically, during the third or fourth trip back, my lights do not turn on during unlocking.

I believe it may be a function for the purpose of extending the lifetime of the lights, as
I know after a period of time leaving the vehicle parked and locked, the lights do turn
on when I unlock the vehicle. I have noticed this event occur with my car a few times.

I've been meaning to ask the dealer during my next visit. I will post my findings here.

Nomal my car dos this, I think it's a feature
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #22
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,382
iTrader: (1)

^^+1. Yes, normal. I think if you were to open and lock your car twenty times... after a few times/cycles the lights would no longer come on, to save battery life. I've noticed this feature on my car.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST