BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Jacking Point and Cross Brace

I need to put the car on jack stands to install new mids and axle back. Where are the jack points in the front and rear of the car? (I don't mean the the ones under the side skirts). I found an image online but wanted to make sure.

The cross brace that's over the midpipes. What do they do? Looks like I need to remove them to remove the midpipes. Just wanted to make sure those cross brace aren't holding anything up. Don't want anything falling on me once I remove the cross brace.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Yes, there are jacking points in the middle. I roll my vert up on 2x4s (I taper cut a couple to form little ramps) so I can get a jack to the front one. You'll see it. There is a larger circular area recessed and then a jack point in the center. In the back, you can jack on the differential BUT NOT the differential cover.

I made a plywood insert for the center of my jack to minimize marking up the jack points.

It seems you have a vert. The cross braces are there to stiffen your car. If we had a solid metal top, we wouldn't need the braces.

Jim
      12-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

My coupe also has a cross brace that needs to be removed to take off the mid pipe. I was worried to loosen it also as I envisioned the car's chassis twisting like a pretzel without it and me never being able to attach it again. In my case I was worried for nothing. It was a cinch to remove it and nothing moved. I also use the rear jack point mentioned in that snippet. You'll see it right behind the differential cover. It's obvious once you get under there.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
MysticblueX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I hope the install goes smooth tomorrow. Will post pics after.
Appreciate 0