BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Evolve R from Stage 1 to Stage 3 - Amazing!

Woah! I cannot believe the car can improve so much. I wasn't planning to review the tune for two weeks as all my previous experience found improvements after a couple of weeks of adaptation. However, the Stage 3 Evolve is a significant improvement over the Stage 1 tune, and it feels like a completely different car.

The car had Wagner FMIC, and ER charge pipe for its stage 1 tune. Stage 3 components added Akrapovic Full System, GruppeM CAI, and Forge DV. The acceleration is instantaneous, and if anything smoother and more linear than the Stage 1 tune. I haven't yet explore wot due to the heavy traffic in the past two days, but the rapid but smooth acceleration from tune compliments the new parts so well.

I have to say I am very, very happy. to the Evolve team!
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Captain
Oman
14

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: OM


Posts: 661
iTrader: (0)

I have similar mods with the Evolve Stage 3 tune

ETS FMIC + Catted DPs + Akra full + AFE CAI + ER CP = so much power and sound !
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
jackkk
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
12

 
jackkk's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow


Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Woah! I cannot believe the car can improve so much. I wasn't planning to review the tune for two weeks as all my previous experience found improvements after a couple of weeks of adaptation. However, the Stage 3 Evolve is a significant improvement over the Stage 1 tune, and it feels like a completely different car.

The car had Wagner FMIC, and ER charge pipe for its stage 1 tune. Stage 3 components added Akrapovic Full System, GruppeM CAI, and Forge DV. The acceleration is instantaneous, and if anything smoother and more linear than the Stage 1 tune. I haven't yet explore wot due to the heavy traffic in the past two days, but the rapid but smooth acceleration from tune compliments the new parts so well.

I have to say I am very, very happy. to the Evolve team!
How much PSI does it on st.3?
st.1 - 16.5
st.2 - 18.5
st.3 - ?
As I undestood, you didn't try the st.2 upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Stage 3 = 18.5 psi.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
jackkk
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
12

 
jackkk's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow


Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Stage 3 = 18.5 psi.
Hm, so what is the difference with st.2?
or you are tolking about those stages, like:
st.1 - map
st.2 - map + FMIC
st.3 - map + FMIC + catless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Hm, so what is the difference with st.2?
or you are tolking about those stages, like:
st.1 - map
st.2 - map + FMIC
st.3 - map + FMIC + catless DP's?
Best to check with Imran - FMIC + exhaust is still stage 1, so I think DPs might be needed for stage 2.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Sounds good Steve. I know 'emack' in Sydney had same Akra system and the Evolve S3. Huge power for sure

No one uses their s2 that I know of. Evolve recommend staying on s1 even with an FMIC. S3 is hardcore. I wouldn't run the s3 daily, only when required at track etc. It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
jackkk
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
12

 
jackkk's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow


Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Sounds good Steve. I know 'emack' in Sydney had same Akra system and the Evolve S3. Huge power for sure

No one uses their s2 that I know of. Evolve recommend staying on s1 even with an FMIC. S3 is hardcore. I wouldn't run the s3 daily, only when required at track etc. It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
Agree, but why nobody runs the st.2? It's interesting to listen the rewiev on it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
That will just give me an excuse to do something to the engine/upgrade the turbo .
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
That will just give me an excuse to do something to the engine/upgrade the turbo .
I am surprised you haven't yet ... what are you waiting for?
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I am surprised you haven't yet ... what are you waiting for?
Federal-Mogul wouldn't sell me a part that is required.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
jackkk
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
12

 
jackkk's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow


Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
That will just give me an excuse to do something to the engine/upgrade the turbo .
Wargas st.3
http://vargasturbo.com/n54products.html
That's your next level)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Wargas st.3
http://vargasturbo.com/n54products.html
That's your next level)
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into our RHD cars - as the steering column is on the same side. I personally don't like a hybrid setup, but will be looking more at a bespoke version.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
lightning
Second Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: BMW 1M AW
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore


Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Hi guys!

long overdue post (due to work commitments)

But anyway, I'm on the Evolve as well and it is really great. immediately you can feel the difference. The response as what Sparoz has mentioned, is instantaneous.. The car feels stronger and the pulls are amazing. I raced a 370Z and won by a considerable margin, by 240km/h i was probably 6-7 car lengths ahead.

as well as a R8 V8, closer but still won convincingly.

From what i see on my DEFI boost gauge, it's pulling about 1.25bar of boost. Thought that it might be more but oh well. doesn't really matter as long as the car drives faster. hehe


Here are my Mods:

1. Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with Tial BOV
2. AR cat-less 3" (claimed) downpipes
3. Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system
4. Wagner Evo Intercooler
5. Evolve Tune

Question:

i'm planning for the RB turbos, and either a NOS dry shot kit or a Meth injection system..

Can i retain the current mods that i have on my car?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
From what i see on my DEFI boost gauge, it's pulling about 1.25bar of boost. Thought that it might be more but oh well. doesn't really matter as long as the car drives faster. hehe
Evolve doesn't push more than 18psi (1.25 bar). Cobb/PTF will do 21psi (1.5 bar). I had an Evolve S1 and it showed 17.5psi, Cobb shows 21.5psi
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Sal@Evolve
Major
40

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire


Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Glad you are happy with the upgrade Sparoz.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Sal@Evolve
Major
40

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire


Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
No one uses their s2 that I know of. Evolve recommend staying on s1 even with an FMIC. S3 is hardcore. I wouldn't run the s3 daily, only when required at track etc. It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
The S3 is not at all for track only.
It is a daily driver tune designed to keep the engine away from spikes in cylinder pressures by correctly adjusting valve overlap and using very low ignition targets.
Track is the harshest environment you can put any engine through and an aggressive tune is exactly what you don't need here.

Our aim on all platforms has been to run as much power and use the least amount of boost, ignition timing, keep the cylinder pressures as low as possible, keep EGT's as low as possible to create an upgrade which is safe.

For us also, the consistency of the power means everything. No point in having a big boost tune which delivers power on the dyno once or is quick on the road one one or two pulls.

A medium powered consistent engine will totally out perform a high powered one hit wonder.

What we can tell you is the trick in our tuning is the valve timing on both intake and exhaust when tuning. It's not all about boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
The S3 is not at all for track only.
It is a daily driver tune designed to keep the engine away from spikes in cylinder pressures by correctly adjusting valve overlap and using very low ignition targets.
Track is the harshest environment you can put any engine through and an aggressive tune is exactly what you don't need here.

Our aim on all platforms has been to run as much power and use the least amount of boost, ignition timing, keep the cylinder pressures as low as possible, keep EGT's as low as possible to create an upgrade which is safe.

For us also, the consistency of the power means everything. No point in having a big boost tune which delivers power on the dyno once or is quick on the road one one or two pulls.

A medium powered consistent engine will totally out perform a high powered one hit wonder.

What we can tell you is the trick in our tuning is the valve timing on both intake and exhaust when tuning. It's not all about boost.
Really? I have seen an Evolve S3 dunno curve on a 1M recently... Didn't look that great with fluctuations in the boost all over the place under load in the first 35% of the run.
It is very difficult to make a generic tune for all, custom tuning seems essential to get the safest and best results. Cobb/PTF is hardly a 'one hit wonder' as you describe, but I suppose you know best
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Mdawood
First Lieutenant
6

 
Drives: vo 1m
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida


Posts: 385
iTrader: (1)

i have the stage 3 tune and couldnt be happier. as sal stated, its not all about
boost. and thats why i chose evolve. its the whole package.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Mdawood
First Lieutenant
6

 
Drives: vo 1m
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida


Posts: 385
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Really? I have seen an Evolve S3 dunno curve on a 1M recently... Didn't look that great with fluctuations in the boost all over the place under load in the first 35% of the run.
It is very difficult to make a generic tune for all, custom tuning seems essential to get the safest and best results. Cobb/PTF is hardly a 'one hit wonder' as you describe, but I suppose you know best
mine wasnt all over the place...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Sal@Evolve
Major
40

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire


Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Really? I have seen an Evolve S3 dunno curve on a 1M recently... Didn't look that great with fluctuations in the boost all over the place under load in the first 35% of the run.
It is very difficult to make a generic tune for all, custom tuning seems essential to get the safest and best results. Cobb/PTF is hardly a 'one hit wonder' as you describe, but I suppose you know best
Rather aggressive in your reply don't you think?

I have nothing but respect for the COBB products and engineers behind them.
Where you make the connection is not clear.

Custom tuning? On a target based DME? On an engine will tight tolerances? I think not.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Rather aggressive in your reply don't you think?

I have nothing but respect for the COBB products and engineers behind them.
Where you make the connection is not clear.

Custom tuning? On a target based DME? On an engine will tight tolerances? I think not.
Hardly aggressive Sal , just based on my observations with moving from Evolve > Cobb > PTF, as well as seeing a Evolve S3 on the dyno. PTF isn't about dyno glory, it is about smoothing the delivery and balancing out all the variables to work on a specific car.

I'm not having a go at Evolve. I liked my Evolve S1 when I had it (except for the boost fluctuations which are now resolved). The point is that IMO custom tuning is well worth it...Evolve should offer it?

Anyhow this is becoming a thread jack and Sparoz will get angry
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST