BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Canyon Carver
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphy1 View Post
I saw that you had the suspension kit as well. I heard those who switch the run-flats to nonrun-flats without a reasonable suspension kit, experience a "squishy" ride. whats your thoughts?
That could be true, but since I've always had the suspension, I don't have much basis for comparison. I can tell you that in no way does my car feel squishy at all. It's perfectly balanced now. Our cars are famous for Understeer...my suspension eliminated almost all understeer, but there were always other ride quality issues that I decided to just live with (Following grooves, feeling like a pogo stick over small dips, etc). I was thrilled when all of those issues went away after switching to the Super Sports. It was finally the car I wanted...I always knew tires mattered, just never realized how much with this car.

On the track (Lime Rock), I had to push it to the limit to even get the slightest bit of understeer. The Super Sports made an already great suspension even better. It just balanced out perfectly. I could get on the throttle out of corners and knew exactly what the car was going to do, I could feel subtleties in the cars handling that I couldn't feel before. I could brake deeper into the corners because I knew it wouldn't wiggle or get twitchy. I believe someone else mentioned that it's like "Unlocking" a hidden feature in your car...they're right.

Even if I didn't have the suspension, I'd rather have squishy and grippy vs. the other issues run-flats come with...but that's me, everyone is different I suppose.
__________________
"If everything's under control, you're going too slow. - Mario Andretti


2011 135i N55 6spd - BMW Performance Suspension. BMW PPK Stage 1
Canyon Carver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
MPBK
0
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774141
MPBK is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
POS1
0
New Member
 
Drives: 2010 128i M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

My ride didn't get squishy but I also went from 17" to 18" wheels. The ride got a bit softer, but only a fraction so and just enough to make the ride better.

As for flats, buy very high quality tires and you'll already minimize that as a possibility. And I'll just call AAA, but I'm a member because of all the old cars I own.

Lastly, yes I very much dig all my toys. They all get driven regularly and without fear. If I'm on the highway, I'm usually passing everyone - regardless what I'm driving! Just my way...
__________________
2010 BMW 128i M-Sport
1969 Porsche 911S Targa
1971 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3
1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4
POS1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #26
Huecifer
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

Does switching off of run flats mess with the TPMS at all?
Huecifer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
bmw1racer
0
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 2,019
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
Does switching off of run flats mess with the TPMS at all?
Nope.
__________________
bmw1racer is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #28
FIRST1
0
Captain
 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

Posts: 746
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I was going to get all-season Continental DWS, but now I'm thinking of just getting DW's because I can avoid driving in snow. Does anyone know what I'd be compromising by using summer tires in cold weather (but not snowing)?
__________________
FIRST1 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Suhb
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PA

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

^curious about the same thing as FIRST1
Suhb is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
Huecifer
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

In my experience, using summer tires in cooler weather just makes you eat through the tires faster...
Huecifer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #31
andnkuhn
0
Second Lieutenant
 
andnkuhn's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i.N55.6SPD.M-SPORT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arlington, Va

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
^curious about the same thing as FIRST1
subscribed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
In my experience, using summer tires in cooler weather just makes you eat through the tires faster...
anyone else find this?
__________________
TauK-n Tky 1. at a time///
andnkuhn is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #32
631twentyeighteye
1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
631twentyeighteye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 130i MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 1,837
iTrader: (6)

I used my summers until about december this year. It was fine on the cold roads, they're just a little less grippy or tacky. It takes less to make them slide so i did tend to find myself drifting a bit more then in the hot summer. But thats all up to you if you wanna drive like that.
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #33
SpaceGhost
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Space Gray 135i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

I agree with the switch to non-RFTs. I did this with my 2007 335i coupe and my current 135i.

I swapped the RFTs on my 335i for Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. I will admit that there was a small amount of squishyness (sp?). I increased the air pressure in the tires by 8-10 psi and the ride was fantastic. Great grip and handling.

My 2010 135i (CPO) actually came with Michelin PSSs and the ride is in no way squishy. Grip is awesome and the tires are relatively quiet. I am a big fan.

If money is no object, get the PSSs. If you are on a budget, try the Evo V12s.

You will never go back to RFTs.

BTW, I carry a Slime brand mobility kit in my car. It was about $70 at Autozone and came with a nice compressor, plugs, tools to plug the tire, and a bottle of slime if those options do not work.
SpaceGhost is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #34
Grayson
0
Heisenberg
 
Grayson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, CA

Posts: 563
iTrader: (2)

I run Michelin PSS tires as well. Hands down, one of the best performance upgrades you can do for your car. I believe it's around $1000 for a whole set, but there is a reason they're ranked #1 on Tire Rack. Amazing performance and longevity, absolutely no compromises even in cooler weather or downpours.
__________________

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Grayson is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
Rukuss
0
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,331
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I run Michelin PSS tires as well. Hands down, one of the best performance upgrades you can do for your car. I believe it's around $1000 for a whole set, but there is a reason they're ranked #1 on Tire Rack. Amazing performance and longevity, absolutely no compromises even in cooler weather or downpours.
+1^^.
Rukuss is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #36
Canyon Carver
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnkuhn View Post
subscribed.





anyone else find this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
I was going to get all-season Continental DWS, but now I'm thinking of just getting DW's because I can avoid driving in snow. Does anyone know what I'd be compromising by using summer tires in cold weather (but not snowing)?
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

I found the PSS's to be great in the rain - I was pushing around Lime Rock on a day with torrential downpours and managed to get a lot of grip, surprising, really. So I've been very happy with their wet performance, but in snow, I can't imagine ANY summer performance tire would be safe or worth taking the risk on. When I still had the dreaded run-flats, I took my car out in snow ONCE and drifted right though a stop sign. Luckily, it wasn't a busy intersection, but it scared me enough to know that driving on summer tires in the snow is just a really bad idea. All other conditions should be fine, imho.

Lastly, I'm not sure I'd agree that cooler weather makes you eat through summer tires faster...I don't see the logic or science in that statement. I can understand snow tires getting eaten without snow (Been there, done that) due to tread depth and flexibility. But I've never seen extraneous wear from running Summer tires in the cold. Just my experience...

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...
__________________
"If everything's under control, you're going too slow. - Mario Andretti


2011 135i N55 6spd - BMW Performance Suspension. BMW PPK Stage 1

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 12-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Canyon Carver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
FIRST1
0
Captain
 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

Posts: 746
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

I found the PSS's to be great in the rain - I was pushing around Lime Rock on a day with torrential downpours and managed to get a lot of grip, surprising, really. So I've been very happy with their wet performance, but in snow, I can't imagine ANY summer performance tire would be safe or worth taking the risk on. When I still had the dreaded run-flats, I took my car out in snow ONCE and drifted right though a stop sign. Luckily, it wasn't a busy intersection, but it scared me enough to know that driving on summer tires in the snow is just a really bad idea. All other conditions should be fine, imho.

Lastly, I'm not sure I'd agree that cooler weather makes you eat through summer tires faster...I don't see the logic or science in that statement. I can understand snow tires getting eaten without snow (Been there, done that) due to tread depth and flexibility. But I've never seen extraneous wear from running Summer tires in the cold. Just my experience...

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...
Interesting. This deserves a new thread. I'm gona find some opinions on this.
__________________
FIRST1 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
135Passion
0
Enthusiast
 
135Passion's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
135Passion is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #39
Rukuss
0
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,331
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama, Michelin...and so on
Rukuss is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #40
SpaceGhost
0
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Space Gray 135i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

See my earlier post... I had Hankook Ventus Evo 12s on my old 335 and they were great in dry and wet. If you look around or wait, Hankook often offers a nice discount on these. I think I paid about $95-$105 per tire in 2010.

Having said that...the PSS are superior in every way to any performance tire I have owned (Pirelli, Toyo, Bridgestone etc)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
SpaceGhost is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #41
Canyon Carver
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
My second choice was going to be the Continental DW Extreme Performance. Half the price of my Michelin PSS and based on the research I did, a great tire.
__________________
"If everything's under control, you're going too slow. - Mario Andretti


2011 135i N55 6spd - BMW Performance Suspension. BMW PPK Stage 1
Canyon Carver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #42
135-dmc
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 135
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sanford, FL

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

I have had both the Continental DW and Michelin PSS on my 135s. Both are excellent, and way better than either the Bridgestone or Dunlop RFTs that came on the cars. That said, the Michelin PSS is the best tire I have had on any of my cars. The PSS's were about $200 more for a set of 4 than the Continental DW's. I recommend both, but if you have the money, get the Michelin PSS.
135-dmc is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #43
Canyon Carver
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135-dmc View Post
I have had both the Continental DW and Michelin PSS on my 135s. Both are excellent, and way better than either the Bridgestone or Dunlop RFTs that came on the cars. That said, the Michelin PSS is the best tire I have had on any of my cars. The PSS's were about $200 more for a set of 4 than the Continental DW's. I recommend both, but if you have the money, get the Michelin PSS.
Agreed...but you must've gotten a great deal on your PSS's. When I priced Conti's vs. Michelin, they Conti's were about 4-500 less...
__________________
"If everything's under control, you're going too slow. - Mario Andretti


2011 135i N55 6spd - BMW Performance Suspension. BMW PPK Stage 1
Canyon Carver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #44
Canyon Carver
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

From the August 2012 Issue of C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
__________________
"If everything's under control, you're going too slow. - Mario Andretti


2011 135i N55 6spd - BMW Performance Suspension. BMW PPK Stage 1
Canyon Carver is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST