BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
818
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Will M3 rear subframe bushing correct wheel hop?

I am running FBO with the Cobb E30 map and I am experiencing wheel hop. I am wondering if replacing the rear subframe bushings with the M3 bushings would correct this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
690
Rep
16,675
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Well... every suspension mod helps - but I'd say no.

I think I would look at the upper suspension links. You could switch over to the 1M/M3 alloy ones that Harold at HPA promotes as "traction bars". They should help you get off of the line.

I think your real problem is shock/spring rates and your at the point where you NEED an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
818
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

I have an LSD but I am still getting wheel hop off of the line. I am currently running BMW Performance Springs and Koni Yellow shocks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
22
Rep
1,419
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

iTrader: (14)

Would lowering rear tire pressure help at all? I know some of the slicks run super low pressure to act as a shock absorber for wheel hop and prevent spinning the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Suds
EX One Addict
Suds's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Audi S4, 2008 Vette 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lone Star State

iTrader: (1)

Lower rear tire pressure works great on the drag strip but not on the street. You will mess up the side walls of your tires on pot holes and break a rim if you are unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
crex
Captain
14
Rep
650
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (1)

help but not cure lol
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
crex
Captain
14
Rep
650
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (1)

Oh and I have cobb, bmw ps, the m3 bushings and control arms. I love the m3 bushings!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
RimasRS's Avatar
28
Rep
2,397
Posts

 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Maybe powerflex diff bushes would solve this.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
690
Rep
16,675
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I have an LSD but I am still getting wheel hop off of the line. I am currently running BMW Performance Springs and Koni Yellow shocks.
I bet you guys have a bad rear link (upper or lower) on your suspension! See Harold@HP Autowerks thread...

BMW Rear Guide Rod Kit - Better traction and handling
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3464&highlight
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
cheshirecat79
Captain
cheshirecat79's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
903
Posts

 
Drives: 370z & 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (0)

It's definitely a step in the right direction. A bad rear subframe bushing in many sports cars will cause wheel hop which is also bad for the transmission. I would do what others suggest first, though, and that's to make sure your existing setup is dialed in the best it can be.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
818
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

I will check the rear links to see if one of them is bad. I doubt that is the problem but I will check. Is it possible for wheel hop to increase with worn tires? I have been running a set of MPSP and they have less than 5mm left on the rears. I might just change the rear subframe bushing anyways, based on the positive feedback that I have read about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
jsmonet
Lieutenant
4
Rep
459
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: so cal

iTrader: (2)

it depends on *when* you get the wheel hop. drag racing? you need to give your ass end some room to breath. you need to raise up the back end a little, soften it up just a bit to let it dump on launch. in 200+ more hp you'll need to really start looking at your rear suspension.

if you're just hopping on the street... post your alignment specs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
22
Rep
1,419
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

iTrader: (14)

Knowing when and to what extent you're getting wheel hop will greatly help point you in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
IGoFast1589
Captain
IGoFast1589's Avatar
12
Rep
654
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

It's in the nature of suspension man... Wheel hop happens when you accelerate hard and the wheels are pushed forward in the wheel wells under intense grip, the rear toe changes, the car looses grip and the wheels spin, suspension returns back to position under wheel spin, the car gains grip again aggressively and the dynamic alignment specs tweak again as the wheels are pushed forward, the car looses grip again and so on.

A limited slip, springs, sways won't do anything. Proper suspension arms and bushings will help minimize the amount of deflection and thus dynamic alignment change while taking off but it's not something you can "cure". Arms, bushings (control arms and subframe) and feathering the throttle properly is what you need mate. Dampers can help as well if the dampers aren't able to properly dampen the suspension movement, but you said you got a set of Koni's already.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Ćnema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

http://www.defivfabrication.com/


This is the only means of COMPLETELY eliminating wheel hop available right now. I've been following the develop of this for a long time and the end result is AMAZING.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
IGoFast1589
Captain
IGoFast1589's Avatar
12
Rep
654
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ćnema View Post
http://www.defivfabrication.com/


This is the only means of COMPLETELY eliminating wheel hop available right now. I've been following the develop of this for a long time and the end result is AMAZING.
What bushings does this kit replace and where is the 4th link? There's hardly any information provided, no images of the kit and sounds like a great way to bend a suspension component... If you lock up everything in the rear end with everything completely solid, no bushings to absorb impact, then those suspension forces are going to be fed somewhere else and likely bend something given a good hit. No extra NVH either? I'd like to see this...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Ćnema
Captain
10
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
What bushings does this kit replace and where is the 4th link? There's hardly any information provided, no images of the kit and sounds like a great way to bend a suspension component... If you lock up everything in the rear end with everything completely solid, no bushings to absorb impact, then those suspension forces are going to be fed somewhere else and likely bend something given a good hit. No extra NVH either? I'd like to see this...
It replaces all bushings and the 4th link is tied into the differential cover. I can't directly link to it() but if you Google "defiv wheel hop lock down" and click the "officially released" link you'll find all the info you need
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #18
Nugget
Major
Nugget's Avatar
19
Rep
1,493
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
What bushings does this kit replace and where is the 4th link? There's hardly any information provided, no images of the kit and sounds like a great way to bend a suspension component... If you lock up everything in the rear end with everything completely solid, no bushings to absorb impact, then those suspension forces are going to be fed somewhere else and likely bend something given a good hit. No extra NVH either? I'd like to see this...
I got this installed when I got my Wavetrac installed last week.
I have a couple of crappy pics of the kit below.

But I am still getting a bit of wheel hop, would replacing the rear guide rods most likely fix this?


Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Freon
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
It's in the nature of suspension man... Wheel hop happens when you accelerate hard and the wheels are pushed forward in the wheel wells under intense grip, the rear toe changes, the car looses grip and the wheels spin, suspension returns back to position under wheel spin, the car gains grip again aggressively and the dynamic alignment specs tweak again as the wheels are pushed forward, the car looses grip again and so on.

A limited slip, springs, sways won't do anything. Proper suspension arms and bushings will help minimize the amount of deflection and thus dynamic alignment change while taking off but it's not something you can "cure". Arms, bushings (control arms and subframe) and feathering the throttle properly is what you need mate. Dampers can help as well if the dampers aren't able to properly dampen the suspension movement, but you said you got a set of Koni's already.

+1 right here. There's no absolute fix, maybe besides buying a Mustang. It's the nature of an IRS. You might get rid of 98% of it by replacing every bushing with metal, but then the car will have serious amounts of NVH.

Honestly I don't think it is that bad considering. Really should only get wheel hop when you're spinning tires, so if you just back off the throttle you'll reduce wheel hop AND make your car go faster. If you want a car for doing sick burnouts, buy a Mustang.
__________________
2009 BMW 135i 6MT Sport, AFE intake, Cobb AP, Apex 18x8.5+9.5, 255/275 PSS
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I got this installed when I got my Wavetrac installed last week.
I have a couple of crappy pics of the kit below.

But I am still getting a bit of wheel hop, would replacing the rear guide rods most likely fix this?


Yes, M3 guide rods will help. So will upgraded rear toe arms.

Although this upgrade may help with wheel hop issues, it will also transmit too much driveline noise to the cabin of the vehicle. Solid differential bushings belong to a track/race car only, NOT on a street car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
22
Rep
2,274
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
+1 right here. There's no absolute fix, maybe besides buying a Mustang. It's the nature of an IRS. You might get rid of 98% of it by replacing every bushing with metal, but then the car will have serious amounts of NVH.

Honestly I don't think it is that bad considering. Really should only get wheel hop when you're spinning tires, so if you just back off the throttle you'll reduce wheel hop AND make your car go faster. If you want a car for doing sick burnouts, buy a Mustang.
+2 its an IRS thing. Cut back on the launch, you shock the suspension like a drag car & the wheels will bounce.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Nugget
Major
Nugget's Avatar
19
Rep
1,493
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Yes, M3 guide rods will help. So will upgraded rear toe arms.

Although this upgrade may help with wheel hop issues, it will also transmit too much driveline noise to the cabin of the vehicle. Solid differential bushings belong to a track/race car only, NOT on a street car.
You would think so, but suprisingly it's not that bad. There is a bit more whine but not that much more than was already present. I daily drive this car and don't find it annoying. Of course of people's experiences and tolerances may vary.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST