BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

N54 Intercooler

I just got my N54 135i. Which Intercooler do you guys recomend? I was thinking of Burgers Tuning with a oil cooler also. I am thinking of also adding up some other upgrades, like,downpipes( Burger or AA?) Charge pipe(Burger) with BOV, maybe Burgers Catback exhaust. Also AA has Plasma Direct ignition coils which they sell for like a grand. My car already has a KN filter and reflash.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
135Pats
Turbo's Here
135Pats's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
5,679
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Sounds like you have alot of searching to do, the sparknotes version is that there isn't a flat out "best" downpipe or intercooler out there, there is significant aftermarket support for our cars and many companies produce excellent product. Search around and you'll find numerous threads with reviews of all these various options, and are you talking about the Okada coils? They're very expensive indeed, and the jury is still out on them. Enrita and a few other high WHP E9x guys have been testing them out, i'm not sure what they concluded about 'em.
__________________
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Sounds like you have alot of searching to do, the sparknotes version is that there isn't a flat out "best" downpipe or intercooler out there, there is significant aftermarket support for our cars and many companies produce excellent product. Search around and you'll find numerous threads with reviews of all these various options, and are you talking about the Okada coils? They're very expensive indeed, and the jury is still out on them. Enrita and a few other high WHP E9x guys have been testing them out, i'm not sure what they concluded about 'em.
Thanks. Yes,there is going to be a lot of researching to do.Leaning towards Burger's parts including the intercooler. The 1 is an awesome car, its very rewarding to drive. and yes they are the Okada coils, my mechanic tells me they do work,but they are really very expensive, but doing the basic math,if I have more fuel and exhaust flow in the engine,its only logical to have more spark,but I am no expert.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Sounds like you have alot of searching to do, the sparknotes version is that there isn't a flat out "best" downpipe or intercooler out there, there is significant aftermarket support for our cars and many companies produce excellent product. Search around and you'll find numerous threads with reviews of all these various options, and are you talking about the Okada coils? They're very expensive indeed, and the jury is still out on them. Enrita and a few other high WHP E9x guys have been testing them out, i'm not sure what they concluded about 'em.
Thanks. Yes,there is going to be a lot of researching to do.Leaning towards Burger's parts including the intercooler. The 1 is an awesome car, its very rewarding to drive. and yes they are the Okada coils, my mechanic tells me they do work,but they are really very expensive, but doing the basic math,if I have more fuel and exhaust flow in the engine,its only logical to have more spark,but I am no expert.
Is this all for the track? A downpipe is a pipe with a hole in it. Mandrel bends and the width are important.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

No,its not a track car. Its my daily driver. In European Auto Source they have a 3" wide down pipe with mandrel bent,its made by "Macht Schnel. Also I think they sell a better intercooler, one made by "Evolution Raceworks". The other upgrades would be, a diverter charge pipe, an Injen SP-series intake system and a BMS oil catch can. Also maybe the CPE Catback exhaust system,plus reprograming. Trying to research the AA Plasma direct ignition coils.

Last edited by Maranello455; 12-26-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
135Pats
Turbo's Here
135Pats's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
5,679
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

ER FMIC+Macht DPs+Injen intake+BMS OCC would be a helluva way to get started modding. Can't do much better from a quality standpoint, all excellent companies.
__________________
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Grayson
Heisenberg
Grayson's Avatar
9
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Cruz, CA

iTrader: (2)

HPF Front Mount for sure. I've looked at several and HPF is top class, huge, and easy to install.
__________________

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Fed P
Private First Class
7
Rep
111
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Russia

iTrader: (0)

I got the ER FMIC during the Black Friday sale. Took them about a month to send it out, but it's on its way now. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they still have a backlog so keep that in mind if you're in a rush.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Freon
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Indianapolis

iTrader: (2)

This topic has been beaten to death. It gets asked at least 3 times per month. Try a search.
__________________
2009 BMW 135i 6MT Sport, AFE intake, Cobb AP, Apex 18x8.5+9.5, 255/275 PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
135Passion
Enthusiast
135Passion's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I'm debating the Berk Axle-Back Street Performance Exhaust. I have stock downpipes and stock charge pipe. I'd like an increase in aggressive tone from the stock but not douche bag level. For the money, what do you guys think? any suggestions? I have a 2009 135i by the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
I'm debating the Berk Axle-Back Street Performance Exhaust. I have stock downpipes and stock charge pipe. I'd like an increase in aggressive tone from the stock but not douche bag level. For the money, what do you guys think? any suggestions? I have a 2009 135i by the way.
If you dont like a loud exhaust,check out the one at Burger Tuning.Its just right.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
135Passion
Enthusiast
135Passion's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455 View Post
If you dont like a loud exhaust,check out the one at Burger Tuning.Its just right.
Not loud but not quiet either, just a nice deep aggressive growl is really what im looking for
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
Not loud but not quiet either, just a nice deep aggressive growl is really what im looking for
Thats exactly the way it is. Here in the forum, I think there are videos of the several catbacks in the market.

Last edited by Maranello455; 12-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion
I'm debating the Berk Axle-Back Street Performance Exhaust. I have stock downpipes and stock charge pipe. I'd like an increase in aggressive tone from the stock but not douche bag level. For the money, what do you guys think? any suggestions? I have a 2009 135i by the way.
I will be installing the berk system just after the new year i can post some pics and sound clips perhaps. Also retains the stock look. Thats the best part.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455
No,its not a track car. Its my daily driver. In European Auto Source they have a 3" wide down pipe with mandrel bent,its made by "Macht Schnel. Also I think they sell a better intercooler, one made by "Evolution Raceworks". The other upgrades would be, a diverter charge pipe, an Injen SP-series intake system and a BMS oil catch can. Also maybe the CPE Catback exhaust system,plus reprograming. Trying to research the AA Plasma direct ignition coils.
Why all these parts for a daily driver? You wont even get close to all the potential on the street.

Put the money towards seat time and grip no?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Why all these parts for a daily driver? You wont even get close to all the potential on the street.

Put the money towards seat time and grip no?
We race the 1/2 mile in a ex-Air Force airport. In the last event,several 135i's did 150 MPH + runs. Mine did 134, with only reflash, KN filter and howled out cats. The record is owned by a Toyota Supra, 195+ MPH, but the Supra is not a street car.

Last edited by Maranello455; 12-26-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
95
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455 View Post
We race the 1/2 mile in a ex-Air Force airport. In the last event,several 135i's did 150 MPH + runs. Mine did 134, with only reflash, KN filter and howled out cats. The record is owned by a Toyota Supra, 195+ MPH, but the Supra is not a street car.
oic - well I guess you wouldn't want your car to blow up then lol.
Supra's are pretty fast and I would think today, is much cheaper.
Do you have a maranello? take that it'll easily win.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
oic - well I guess you wouldn't want your car to blow up then lol.
Supra's are pretty fast and I would think today, is much cheaper.
Do you have a maranello? take that it'll easily win.
As a matter of fact,I had two Maranellos 575M, a 2002 and a 2005.The 575M were great GT's, V12 alluminum engine cars.Ferrari made the 575M after the 550 Maranello,the M stands for "modificato",modified in Italian. The 575M had better weight distribution,an adaptive suspension, a stronger 5.7 liter engine and better aerodynamics than the 550. After some financial downfall,I can only afford now my 135i, but very happy indeed with my 1, its an awesome car.

Last edited by Maranello455; 12-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
135Passion
Enthusiast
135Passion's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I will be installing the berk system just after the new year i can post some pics and sound clips perhaps. Also retains the stock look. Thats the best part.
Ya im thinking the black coated one because my car is grey with black accents. If you post sound clips that would be great it would help with the search.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST