BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #45
Moocow
Second Lieutenant
 
Moocow's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Does she actually know?
Yep. I told her straight away.

If was as simple as catching a bus and it only affected me, then that's what i'd do - but its not. As stated I am concerned not for myself.
__________________
2009 135i M Sport | Cobb AP w/ PTF Tune | BMS DCI | VRSF 3" Catless Downpipes | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | Sunroof | Kerscher CF Splitter | BMW Performance Gear Knob | Black Gloss Kidneys | CF Rear Diffuser | Blackline LCI Tail lights | 18" VMR V710 matte black | BMW M3 Front Sway Bar | ST Coilovers | Aluminium M-Sport Pedals | Angel Eyes | CF Interior wrap | BMS OCC | Tune2Air |
Moocow is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #46
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

You know what, I hope you learn your lesson and best of luck. Although I do think you need to lose your license to do that.
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #47
walbjj
Private First Class
 
walbjj's Avatar
 
Drives: s2000
Join Date: May 2007
Location: sydney

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

whilst i do see pavo's view, speeding recklessly is the worst thing, i can also see that moocow is trying to find the best solution to his shitty situation.
as mentioned, legal advice is ur number one option, but its still no guarantee, u might be thousands out of pocket and still lose ur licence.
one option that u might not have thought of is hiring a nanny. i have a mate that has a fulltime nanny that picks up and drops off the kids. she uses their car to do the errands. she costs about $200 a day. cheap when u consider childminding costs. she is a university masters student or something.
anyway, thats just a suggestion, it would be short term, just for the term of ur suspension, so if u do the maths, it might actually be cheaper to do it that way, than to try and get legal advice.
another option is if the licence hasnt been cancelled already, make the trip across the border and get a nsw licence. a mate has done this a few times and BOOM, hey presto, full nsw licence. as long as they havent sent the final cancellation. and as we know, there is always a huge lag with regards to fines and penalties being priocessed.
i think the only sticking point is u need a current address in nsw. so open a bank account or something, get a mate to couch for u, whatever it takes to get that documentation.
thats my advice
walbjj is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #48
Ninjaoz
Captain
 
Ninjaoz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
another option is if the licence hasnt been cancelled already, make the trip across the border and get a nsw licence. a mate has done this a few times and BOOM, hey presto, full nsw licence. as long as they havent sent the final cancellation. and as we know, there is always a huge lag with regards to fines and penalties being priocessed.
i think the only sticking point is u need a current address in nsw. so open a bank account or something, get a mate to couch for u, whatever it takes to get that documentation.
thats my advice
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
walbjj
Private First Class
 
walbjj's Avatar
 
Drives: s2000
Join Date: May 2007
Location: sydney

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
are u laughing as u think its a devilishly good idea, or r u laughing at the hairbrain suggestion.
i know a handful of people that have done this over the past few years, and one has done it the past year for the second time. lost it in WA, came to sydney, lost it in sydney, went back to WA.

they say that the systems r linked, but i think the processing lag is what gets them. u may lose the licence, but the time it takes to get the notice in the mail, u could be long gone
walbjj is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #50
Liub
Captain
 
Drives: E82
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 760
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
whilst i do see pavo's view, speeding recklessly is the worst thing, i can also see that moocow is trying to find the best solution to his shitty situation.
as mentioned, legal advice is ur number one option, but its still no guarantee, u might be thousands out of pocket and still lose ur licence.
one option that u might not have thought of is hiring a nanny. i have a mate that has a fulltime nanny that picks up and drops off the kids. she uses their car to do the errands. she costs about $200 a day. cheap when u consider childminding costs. she is a university masters student or something.
anyway, thats just a suggestion, it would be short term, just for the term of ur suspension, so if u do the maths, it might actually be cheaper to do it that way, than to try and get legal advice.
another option is if the licence hasnt been cancelled already, make the trip across the border and get a nsw licence. a mate has done this a few times and BOOM, hey presto, full nsw licence. as long as they havent sent the final cancellation. and as we know, there is always a huge lag with regards to fines and penalties being priocessed.
i think the only sticking point is u need a current address in nsw. so open a bank account or something, get a mate to couch for u, whatever it takes to get that documentation.
thats my advice
To be honest, that's brilliant.
__________________
Melbournians! Join the Melbourne 1Addicts Facebook group - just search for 'Melbourne 1Addicts'!
Liub is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #51
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!
 
MrBlonde's Avatar
 
Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
To be honest, that's brilliant.
Yes indeed, fraud added to a licence suspension sounds good.
__________________
.-=[ Kenny ]=-. 1999 BMW M Coupe 10.775 @ 134.35 mph w/1.600 60' (Best 136.07 mph) 25th August 2004. +2010 X5 35D+

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
MrBlonde is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #52
Knightelf
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
they say that the systems r linked, but i think the processing lag is what gets them. u may lose the licence, but the time it takes to get the notice in the mail, u could be long gone
Yes it might "work" but I would advise against this; the legislation covers interstate licences, so technically speaking he would still be driving without a licence which, if caught, could possibly result in jail time (and the judge would no doubt be more harsh on an elaborate scheme to get around the suspension). Getting a nanny was a good idea though.
Knightelf is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #53
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

A few years ago a mate of mine had 1 point left on NSW licence. He moved to NT for 6 weeks and got a new licence up there, canceled his NSW one, then renewed NSW after a year. Doubt that this loophole still exists.

If you have an accident your insurers will probably find out and I'm sure you can work out those consequences.

Similar loophole used to be for VIC fines. I got a fine for 2 km/h over in VIC, overpaid the fine by $1, so they send a cheque refund which I never cashed. The points never came off my license. Believe that this method doesn't work either these days.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates

Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #54
TS135i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

Got to laugh at all the past loopholes.
__________________
135i Coupe PPK N55
TS135i is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #55
Knightelf
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
Got to laugh at all the past loopholes.
I wouldn't say past, they're still pretty slack. A mate of mine (who is an idiot for not learning his lesson) with an overseas licence has been to court for drink driving 3 times all of them as a "first offence" because they didn't keep proper records. Or at least they could not ID him for whatever reason.
Knightelf is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #56
walbjj
Private First Class
 
walbjj's Avatar
 
Drives: s2000
Join Date: May 2007
Location: sydney

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I have staff that are international uni students, some with overseas drivers licenses. They r supposed to swap the intl ones to local licenses within 6 mths. A few have been pulled over and they just say they recently came over or just went home for a brief stay. Any fines r just financial as there r no points to lose
walbjj is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #57
1_dez
Private
 
Drives: 1er
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (<0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
1_dez is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #58
BMJ
Captain
 
BMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 862
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
So if it was your wife an kids coming the other way and the OP hit them you'd still have the same view :

I don't give a shit what the op says and why should I. He openly admitted he was doing 40 over the limit and is crying he got caught.

If you condone his actions then your a fool as well.
You miss Rossi don't you Pav!

Last edited by BMJ; 01-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.
BMJ is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,317
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
You miss Rossi don't you Pav!
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #60
walbjj
Private First Class
 
walbjj's Avatar
 
Drives: s2000
Join Date: May 2007
Location: sydney

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_dez View Post
Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (<0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
Jesus, remind me to not use ur legal representation. Can I ask how much that futile exercise cost u as well as the extra month.
walbjj is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #61
Smiley1175
Captain
 
Smiley1175's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Saw this today and thought of this thread!

Smiley1175 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #62
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175
Saw this today and thought of this thread!

: that's great although there is no need for violence
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
Knightelf
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 584
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_dez
Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (&lt;0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
For low level first time driving offences (eg. DUI under high limit in QLD) there's no point getting a lawyer if you intend to plead guilty. Either way it won't lower the penalties. I used to appear for clients doing stuff like this, easy $2k (for the firm anyway) for a 10 minute appearance.
Knightelf is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #64
1_dez
Private
 
Drives: 1er
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canberra

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

The point I was making is lawyering up can go either way.
1_dez is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #65
walbjj
Private First Class
 
walbjj's Avatar
 
Drives: s2000
Join Date: May 2007
Location: sydney

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
For low level first time driving offences (eg. DUI under high limit in QLD) there's no point getting a lawyer if you intend to plead guilty. Either way it won't lower the penalties. I used to appear for clients doing stuff like this, easy $2k (for the firm anyway) for a 10 minute appearance.
As someone with hopefully a moral conscience, did u ever dissuade the poor sods from going ahead? Or did u gleefully take their money and apologize after the verdict
walbjj is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST