BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #45
Moocow
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Does she actually know?
Yep. I told her straight away.

If was as simple as catching a bus and it only affected me, then that's what i'd do - but its not. As stated I am concerned not for myself.
2009 135i M Sport | Cobb AP w/ PTF Tune | BMS DCI | VRSF 3" Catless Downpipes | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | Sunroof | Kerscher CF Splitter | BMW Performance Gear Knob | Black Gloss Kidneys | CF Rear Diffuser | Blackline LCI Tail lights | 18" VMR V710 matte black | BMW M3 Front Sway Bar | ST Coilovers | Aluminium M-Sport Pedals | Angel Eyes | CF Interior wrap | BMS OCC | Tune2Air |
Moocow is offline   Australia
      01-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #46
pavo335
Banned

Drives: 3.5 wheeler

You know what, I hope you learn your lesson and best of luck. Although I do think you need to lose your license to do that.
      01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #47
walbjj
Private First Class

Drives: s2000

whilst i do see pavo's view, speeding recklessly is the worst thing, i can also see that moocow is trying to find the best solution to his shitty situation.
as mentioned, legal advice is ur number one option, but its still no guarantee, u might be thousands out of pocket and still lose ur licence.
one option that u might not have thought of is hiring a nanny. i have a mate that has a fulltime nanny that picks up and drops off the kids. she uses their car to do the errands. she costs about $200 a day. cheap when u consider childminding costs. she is a university masters student or something.
anyway, thats just a suggestion, it would be short term, just for the term of ur suspension, so if u do the maths, it might actually be cheaper to do it that way, than to try and get legal advice.
another option is if the licence hasnt been cancelled already, make the trip across the border and get a nsw licence. a mate has done this a few times and BOOM, hey presto, full nsw licence. as long as they havent sent the final cancellation. and as we know, there is always a huge lag with regards to fines and penalties being priocessed.
i think the only sticking point is u need a current address in nsw. so open a bank account or something, get a mate to couch for u, whatever it takes to get that documentation.
thats my advice
walbjj is offline   Australia
      01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #48
Ninjaoz
Captain

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
another option is if the licence hasnt been cancelled already, make the trip across the border and get a nsw licence. a mate has done this a few times and BOOM, hey presto, full nsw licence. as long as they havent sent the final cancellation. and as we know, there is always a huge lag with regards to fines and penalties being priocessed.
i think the only sticking point is u need a current address in nsw. so open a bank account or something, get a mate to couch for u, whatever it takes to get that documentation.
thats my advice
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
      01-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
walbjj
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
are u laughing as u think its a devilishly good idea, or r u laughing at the hairbrain suggestion.
i know a handful of people that have done this over the past few years, and one has done it the past year for the second time. lost it in WA, came to sydney, lost it in sydney, went back to WA.

they say that the systems r linked, but i think the processing lag is what gets them. u may lose the licence, but the time it takes to get the notice in the mail, u could be long gone
      01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #50
Liub
Captain

Drives: E82

Quote:
whilst i do see pavo's view, speeding recklessly is the worst thing, i can also see that moocow is trying to find the best solution to his shitty situation.
as mentioned, legal advice is ur number one option, but its still no guarantee, u might be thousands out of pocket and still lose ur licence.
one option that u might not have thought of is hiring a nanny. i have a mate that has a fulltime nanny that picks up and drops off the kids. she uses their car to do the errands. she costs about $200 a day. cheap when u consider childminding costs. she is a university masters student or something.
anyway, thats just a suggestion, it would be short term, just for the term of ur suspension, so if u do the maths, it might actually be cheaper to do it that way, than to try and get legal advice.
thats my advice
To be honest, that's brilliant.
      01-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #51
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!

Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
To be honest, that's brilliant.
Yes indeed, fraud added to a licence suspension sounds good.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
      01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #52
Knightelf
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
they say that the systems r linked, but i think the processing lag is what gets them. u may lose the licence, but the time it takes to get the notice in the mail, u could be long gone
Yes it might "work" but I would advise against this; the legislation covers interstate licences, so technically speaking he would still be driving without a licence which, if caught, could possibly result in jail time (and the judge would no doubt be more harsh on an elaborate scheme to get around the suspension). Getting a nanny was a good idea though.
Knightelf is online now   Australia
      01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #53
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

A few years ago a mate of mine had 1 point left on NSW licence. He moved to NT for 6 weeks and got a new licence up there, canceled his NSW one, then renewed NSW after a year. Doubt that this loophole still exists.

If you have an accident your insurers will probably find out and I'm sure you can work out those consequences.

Similar loophole used to be for VIC fines. I got a fine for 2 km/h over in VIC, overpaid the fine by $1, so they send a cheque refund which I never cashed. The points never came off my license. Believe that this method doesn't work either these days.

Ian///M is offline   No_Country
      01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #54
TS135i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Got to laugh at all the past loopholes.
      01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #55
Knightelf
Lieutenant

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
Got to laugh at all the past loopholes.
I wouldn't say past, they're still pretty slack. A mate of mine (who is an idiot for not learning his lesson) with an overseas licence has been to court for drink driving 3 times all of them as a "first offence" because they didn't keep proper records. Or at least they could not ID him for whatever reason.
      01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #56
walbjj
Private First Class

Yes, I have staff that are international uni students, some with overseas drivers licenses. They r supposed to swap the intl ones to local licenses within 6 mths. A few have been pulled over and they just say they recently came over or just went home for a brief stay. Any fines r just financial as there r no points to lose
      01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #57
1_dez
Private

Drives: 1er

Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (<0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
1_dez is offline   Australia
      01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #58
BMJ
Captain

Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
So if it was your wife an kids coming the other way and the OP hit them you'd still have the same view :

I don't give a shit what the op says and why should I. He openly admitted he was doing 40 over the limit and is crying he got caught.

If you condone his actions then your a fool as well.
You miss Rossi don't you Pav!

Last edited by BMJ; 01-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.
      01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
Zuzu
Major General

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
You miss Rossi don't you Pav!
      01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #60
walbjj
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_dez View Post
Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (<0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
Jesus, remind me to not use ur legal representation. Can I ask how much that futile exercise cost u as well as the extra month.
      01-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #61
Smiley1175
Captain

Drives: 1M

Saw this today and thought of this thread!

Smiley1175 is offline   Australia
      01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #62
pavo335
Banned

Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175
Saw this today and thought of this thread!

: that's great although there is no need for violence
      01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #63
Knightelf
Lieutenant

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_dez
Personal experience for your consideration. When I lawyered up for my very very very low range DUI (&lt;0.03), the story which was put forward to the judge portrayed me as a gem.... I was given a 4 month suspension instead of a normal 2-3. The judge in my case, I believe, thought I may have been trying to weasel my way out of the suspension. Fail. Clearly backfired for me.
For low level first time driving offences (eg. DUI under high limit in QLD) there's no point getting a lawyer if you intend to plead guilty. Either way it won't lower the penalties. I used to appear for clients doing stuff like this, easy $2k (for the firm anyway) for a 10 minute appearance.
      01-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #64
1_dez
Private

Drives: 1er

The point I was making is lawyering up can go either way.
1_dez is offline   Australia
      01-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #65
walbjj
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
For low level first time driving offences (eg. DUI under high limit in QLD) there's no point getting a lawyer if you intend to plead guilty. Either way it won't lower the penalties. I used to appear for clients doing stuff like this, easy $2k (for the firm anyway) for a 10 minute appearance.
As someone with hopefully a moral conscience, did u ever dissuade the poor sods from going ahead? Or did u gleefully take their money and apologize after the verdict