BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant

Drives: AW 1M

Gopro + 1m test

Hey guys. Just got my GoPro up and running. Thought I would share one of the smaller videos before I edited the bigger ones. Stay tuned for 1M vs Ferrari F430 rolling and standing starts

Just a short clip of me giving the engine a bit of a rev.
      01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
vito747
Private

Drives: 1 coupe M

Waiting!!
      01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant

Here you go guys

Sorry about all the wind noise. My next one will be done with 2 Gopros. I'll set one up in my car next time. The camera was directed in a forward facing position for the rolling starts. Sorry about not seeing the gap off the standing starts.

01-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Way to go driving like a dickhead on public roads. Go to a track!
      01-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant

How is that dick head driving? Do you know the speeds we went from and up to? Didn't think so. Do you know the roads or the limits on them? Get off your high horse dude. I will bet money on that you've done similar. Fly by was at 5am on a Sunday morning out in the middle of no where with guys watching both sides and available communication to the driver

Track days are booked btw.
      01-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC

Isn't that how you drive to stay alive when transiting through J'burg, fast is the law bar the stopping at traffic lights bit
      01-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
How is that dick head driving? Do you know the speeds we went from and up to? Didn't think so. Do you know the roads or the limits on them? Get off your high horse dude. I will bet money on that you've done similar. Fly by was at 5am on a Sunday morning out in the middle of no where with guys watching both sides and available communication to the driver

Track days are booked btw.
I grew up in SA
Looks like street racing from lights to me, get t-boned by a minibus. As for highway, you are certainly going way faster than 120kmh.

Grow up and do it a drag strip or track
      01-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I grew up in SA
Looks like street racing from lights to me, get t-boned by a minibus. As for highway, you are certainly going way faster than 120kmh.

Grow up and do it a drag strip or track
Guess you will never know As for the drag strips since you lived here you would know the crap that goes down there.
Thanks for your concerns and advice. Not going to turn this into a handbag argument.
      01-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
SP33DYV
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 1M + e46 325i Individual

Shouldn't this be in the TLGP section? Or is there no TLGP section?
SP33DYV is offline   South Africa
      01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Colonel

I think you posted when you first had the car that your brother has a F430 and 1M felt faster, am I remembering right?

Other than an in-gear acceleration time I don't think a stock 1M can be faster than a F430 either rolling start or dead start, no data supports this. Videos show us that you do make better launch than the driver in F430.

With a few mods a similar performance can easily be achieved from 1M though.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant

Hey Oz,

yes that was me. The results speak for themselves. When we first had a run with each other he had his roof down. We were neck in neck then. It's amazing what happens when that roof is up. I'll try get another vid with his roof down.

Running in 3rd gear at those same speeds would have given the advantage to the M due to the lower down torque. We used 2nd as both cars were in their power band.

The launch isn't the problem for him. I have the advantage because he doesn't want to use launch control because it kills the clutch and they aren't cheap to replace. The Ferrari is a better car no doubt. The astonishing thing is that comparing the price of these two cars and their performance. The exhaust note and the gearbox in that F430 make it worth every penny imo.

With a chip in the 1M things will be much closer when his roof is up. I also think my bro has gotten a lot more comfortable in his car That second launch saw him wheel spinning like a mad man in 1st. Blue smoke every where. Really wish I caught that on film.

Not hating on either car. One day I hope I can be as lucky as he is and own a fezza. South Africa is about 1500feet above sea level so at the coast the results would see an even bigger gap.
      01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Artemis
Colonel

Drives: 1M (VO)

Apart from drive(r) skills and reflexes, there is also the weight factor (passenger on board, fuel load) and the state of the tires.

Normally the Ferrari should outrun the 1M.
      01-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
flzrider
Captain

Quote:
      01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
Hey Oz,

yes that was me. The results speak for themselves. When we first had a run with each other he had his roof down. We were neck in neck then. It's amazing what happens when that roof is up. I'll try get another vid with his roof down.

Running in 3rd gear at those same speeds would have given the advantage to the M due to the lower down torque. We used 2nd as both cars were in their power band.

The launch isn't the problem for him. I have the advantage because he doesn't want to use launch control because it kills the clutch and they aren't cheap to replace. The Ferrari is a better car no doubt. The astonishing thing is that comparing the price of these two cars and their performance. The exhaust note and the gearbox in that F430 make it worth every penny imo.

With a chip in the 1M things will be much closer when his roof is up. I also think my bro has gotten a lot more comfortable in his car That second launch saw him wheel spinning like a mad man in 1st. Blue smoke every where. Really wish I caught that on film.

Not hating on either car. One day I hope I can be as lucky as he is and own a fezza. South Africa is about 1500feet above sea level so at the coast the results would see an even bigger gap.
No launch control and altitude explain it better now
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      01-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Ian///M
Major General

This is such a loser thread! Street racing .... my 1M is faster than a F430 .... Filming yourself doing illegal activities on a public website is epic dumbness

I suggest your first mod is a p3nis extension
      01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
This is such a loser thread! Street racing .... my 1M is faster than a F430 .... Filming yourself doing illegal activities on a public website is epic dumbness

I suggest your first mod is a p3nis extension
Perhaps the OP will post this on Facebook, and then we can wait for the arrest....
      01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
bdaddylo
Major

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Apart from drive(r) skills and reflexes, there is also the weight factor (passenger on board, fuel load) and the state of the tires.

Normally the Ferrari should outrun the 1M.
+1

The F430 is a sub 4 sec 0-60mph and sub 12 sec 1/4 mile car and the 1M isn't close. The F430 also has over a 2 pound per HP advantage. Both cars deliver power differently, so how one car feels is pointless if you're comparing straight line speed and acceleration.
      01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Robert
Major General

Drives: 135i, current is350

Quote:
amen this thread needs to be locked. poster should be so lucky no one reports this video to local pd. cool videos but do it on a track, jackass
      01-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
RimasRS
Colonel

Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW

I'm amazed how many teachers...
      01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
mariodiniz21
Private

Drives: BMW 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
+1
mariodiniz21 is offline   Portugal
      01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
bdaddylo
Major

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng4n1to View Post
Also remember we are high up on the reef in Johannesburg, 1765m above sea level, which does give boosted cars a huge advantage over NA cars.

Do agree, keep it on the track.
Correcting my original post.

Higher altitude means less pressure and hence less dense air. Less pressure means the turbo has to spin faster to achieve the same pressure ratio at sea level and also the FMIC is less efficient at cooling. How much power loss for a FI engine at altitude depends on how efficient the turbo or supercharger and FMIC are operating.

Last edited by bdaddylo; 01-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.
bdaddylo is offline   United_States
      01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel

Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
+2