BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Tee-Dub
Captain
 
Tee-Dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

Posts: 753
iTrader: (9)

Question Valve cleaning possible without media blasting?

I found a local indy shop that comes very recommended, specialize in BMW, yadda yadda yadda. He and I have spoken a few times via email, and I asked him about doing the intake valve cleaning for DI motors and he stated that he does them and has done quite a few on BMW, Mini, and Audi. I called him the other day to ask about installing DP's, and remembered to ask about the intake valve cleaning and what he charges. He said its called an "Induction Service" and it is $179! Said they don't remove the manifold and media blast, that would be insanely expensive. He claims his induction service sees results and he's done quite a few of them.

Now, I'm feeling skeptical of this shop. Whats the general consensus? Has anyone heard of such a thing working using chemicals instead of physically getting in there and cleaning the stuff?
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,138
iTrader: (1)

I bet they use something like this...



BG makes some good products... but I am not so sure it really addresses our carbon buildup problem on the N54/N55 motors. Also... BG is not sold in stores, but only thru repair shops. They have a "kickback" program: everyone from the parts and service manager, to the SA down to the tech gets a kickback. I have always found that kind of fishy to me.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I found a local indy shop that comes very recommended, specialize in BMW, yadda yadda yadda. He and I have spoken a few times via email, and I asked him about doing the intake valve cleaning for DI motors and he stated that he does them and has done quite a few on BMW, Mini, and Audi. I called him the other day to ask about installing DP's, and remembered to ask about the intake valve cleaning and what he charges. He said its called an "Induction Service" and it is $179! Said they don't remove the manifold and media blast, that would be insanely expensive. He claims his induction service sees results and he's done quite a few of them.

Now, I'm feeling skeptical of this shop. Whats the general consensus? Has anyone heard of such a thing working using chemicals instead of physically getting in there and cleaning the stuff?
If you need a good indy shop across the bridge in PO off of Powell (PacificMotorsport) 503-232-5545, they perform the wallnut blast cleaning and are also reasonable priced for all other services
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Tee-Dub
Captain
 
Tee-Dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

Posts: 753
iTrader: (9)

Thanks for the heads up Rukuss! I bought the car from Luxeautohaus and they had it serviced by ProTek auto, which is in the same building. I had them put new plugs in. They said they'd install DP's, for $350 but they don't do the walnut blast cleaning.
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Tee-Dub
Captain
 
Tee-Dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

Posts: 753
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
If you need a good indy shop across the bridge in PO off of Powell (PacificMotorsport) 503-232-5545, they perform the wallnut blast cleaning and are also reasonable priced for all other services
Called them today. They aren't completely set up to do the process yet, but should be by next week. Said they'll do an intro price of $399 and need the car for half the day. He is supposed to call me next week.
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Called them today. They aren't completely set up to do the process yet, but should be by next week. Said they'll do an intro price of $399 and need the car for half the day. He is supposed to call me next week.
Sweet they installed a CDV delete and a short shift kit on my car, and also they worked on my 335i back in the day, I have nothing bad to say about them, they are honest and fair priced
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Tee-Dub
Captain
 
Tee-Dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

Posts: 753
iTrader: (9)

Now to decide who is going to install my DP's and my intercooler when they come in!
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Now to decide who is going to install my DP's and my intercooler when they come in!
Did you run this by them?
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Tee-Dub
Captain
 
Tee-Dub's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

Posts: 753
iTrader: (9)

Briefly mentioned it and they said they do performance stuff, but didn't give me a price. Getting the car over there and getting back is an issue for me. Since the intake cleaning takes "half a day" as they said, I'd probably have to do the DP's and FMIC later, unless they can do it all at once. Doubtful since the car has to be on a lift for the DP/FMIC install and on the ground for the valve cleaning.
Tee-Dub is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Rukuss
Major
 
Rukuss's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Briefly mentioned it and they said they do performance stuff, but didn't give me a price. Getting the car over there and getting back is an issue for me. Since the intake cleaning takes "half a day" as they said, I'd probably have to do the DP's and FMIC later, unless they can do it all at once. Doubtful since the car has to be on a lift for the DP/FMIC install and on the ground for the valve cleaning.
They might give you a discount for all three, worth a mention
Rukuss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
FIRST1
Captain
 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

Posts: 729
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I am very interested in getting my intake valves cleaned, I'm coming up on 50K miles, so let me know if you get this done, and if you do, see if they can take pics!
__________________

Last edited by FIRST1; 01-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
FIRST1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
john_w_lewis
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E82 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maine

Posts: 108
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
I am very interested in getting my intake valves cleaned, I'm coming up on 50K miles, so let me know if you get this done, and if you do, see i they can take pics!
Ditto
__________________
John Lewis
2008 BMW 135i | Sedona Red | 6MT

john_w_lewis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
FIRST1
Captain
 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

Posts: 729
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This thread needs more attention! This could be a breakthrough!...
__________________
FIRST1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
1911A145
Captain
 
1911A145's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posts: 773
iTrader: (4)

An induction service wont do anything to rid the DI system of its carbon buildup. This has been discussed in many, many other threads. The BG stuff is good stuff, but for the right application its intended for....

I have a friend who owns his own shop and uses BG products. Ive bought a bottle of the 44k for about 15 bucks I think. These shops are charging you labor mostly, not for the chemicals that make up some of these ridiculous repair bills. 180 for fuel induction service = seafoam or similar induction that cost them under 2o bucks in shop fees and straight profit on the labor....

Stay away from those who promote the induction service and find yourself someone who can do the media blasting on the valves. Can you clean the carbon off the valves without the walnut media blaster? Of course... It's done daily all over with the same process of removing the intake manifold, but the mechanic is taking more time and using chemicals the dissolve the deposits and using brushes and picks to scrape away all the gunk. The walnut blasting was designed to be faster and more efficient than the chemical scrub for DI engines and if you can find someone who can do it for under 600 than go for it. it's worth it.
1911A145 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mineo77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland,OR

Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [3.78]
Send a message via AIM to mineo77
having mine walnut blasted as we speak. Tried a fuel injection cleaner and that didnt do much of anything.

best shop in Portland for the N54 IMO is Rhom Innovations.
__________________
mineo77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mineo77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland,OR

Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [3.78]
Send a message via AIM to mineo77
Car runs like new after walnut blasting...it was amazing the difference
__________________
mineo77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,934
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Car runs like new after walnut blasting...it was amazing the difference
I really need to do this!
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
shah269
Captain
 
Drives: 2009
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

christ on a cracker....and they could have prevented all this shit by installing an extra set of cheap low pressure injectors on the other side of the intake valve to wash the freaking things on start up....WTF!
shah269 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
JDelphiki
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 TSM 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

A buddy of mine owns a tuning shop in SA, TX. He removed the carbon build up on my 60k mile 2009 135i.

He didn't want to do the media blasting method, but instead opted for the soaking method. He did my 60k maintenance at the same time as the intake valvle cleaning and had it all done the car back to me in 2 days. The price I paid for 60k maintenance and valve cleaning was great.

My intake valves had severe carbon build up. We're gonna do another valve cleaning before I get a meth kit on the car to see what kind of difference we see after 20k more miles.

He's actually looking for a 135i for himself if anyone is looking to sell theirs; he recently tuned a 135i for someone and was so impressed with the gains that he wants to tune his own.

Here's his contact info if anyone wants to get a hold of him for any reason.



William
Precision R
210-829-8200
Attached Images
  
JDelphiki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST