BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
RickySu
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Considering buying a exhaust system.

I am second owner of my car. The previous owner delete the stock muffler and add a Maddad one on it. The sound is good sometimes. But too much drone when higher than 2000RPM. Can't bear it any more, especially driving on the highway. therefore considering buying a new exhaust system.

What about a Bmw Performacnce exhaust ? Do I need to buy the whole exhaust system or just the muffler parts?

Or other suggestions? I prefer deeper sound, not much drone.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,692
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (2)

Do you know if you still have your OEM downpipes? IMO, the best sounding exhaust on this car is catless downpipes with stock exhaust. You get 80% of the power gains while still retaining stock like exhaust that is deeper and doesn't drone or rasp.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
701
Rep
16,711
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

The Performance Exhaust sounds really good. It pops and gurgles when you are lifting off the gas pedal. At WOT it sounds glorious. At part throttle it is fairly quiet, just a tad louder than stock. I really like the way they sound. IF you got a PE you could first just install the rear (axle) section, and then later install the y-pipe deletion of the mid pipe resonator.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
///Chase
Lieutenant
///Chase's Avatar
Australia
8
Rep
408
Posts

 
Drives: F30 BSM 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

I have the Berk Street. and i love it..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySu View Post
I am second owner of my car. The previous owner delete the stock muffler and add a Maddad one on it. The sound is good sometimes. But too much drone when higher than 2000RPM. Can't bear it any more, especially driving on the highway. therefore considering buying a new exhaust system.
Is it the maddad that is a straight pipe or is it the Whisper system that has a muffler?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
Basheezy
Bashar
Basheezy's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
775
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

The Performance Exhaust is a muffler and resonator(delete) I believe.

...On a sidenote, why do muffler deletes have a sort of whistle sound to them at WOT? ( I have a custom one, but have heard others like Berk and sounds the same). Is there a way to get rid of that whistle? (bigger diameter?eliminate y-pipe?)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
That_1_Guy
Captain
That_1_Guy's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
860
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, Kansas

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
MadDad Euro muffler delete + AR Catless DP.... it's the way to go. Hearing is overrated!
__________________
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
RickySu
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9
Do you know if you still have your OEM downpipes? IMO, the best sounding exhaust on this car is catless downpipes with stock exhaust. You get 80% of the power gains while still retaining stock like exhaust that is deeper and doesn't drone or rasp.
I think all other parts are still stock ones. Just deleted the muffler and add a maddad instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
RickySu
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
The Performance Exhaust sounds really good. It pops and gurgles when you are lifting off the gas pedal. At WOT it sounds glorious. At part throttle it is fairly quiet, just a tad louder than stock. I really like the way they sound. IF you got a PE you could first just install the rear (axle) section, and then later install the y-pipe deletion of the mid pipe resonator.
Why don't I install them at one time?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
RickySu
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySu View Post
I am second owner of my car. The previous owner delete the stock muffler and add a Maddad one on it. The sound is good sometimes. But too much drone when higher than 2000RPM. Can't bear it any more, especially driving on the highway. therefore considering buying a new exhaust system.
Is it the maddad that is a straight pipe or is it the Whisper system that has a muffler?
It's a straight one. I am going to sale it at a low price.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
That_1_Guy
Captain
That_1_Guy's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
860
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kansas City, Kansas

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
I LOVE my MadDad muffler delete.
__________________
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
Elsabor67's Avatar
Germany
43
Rep
2,632
Posts

 
Drives: La Jeva ;-)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuttgart, Ge :-)

iTrader: (25)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
I have the Berk Technology Street Perf. one and love it. Nice tone for everyday driving but can make a statement at WOT.
__________________

Quote from Ezeedee regarding car mods:
"you're only done when you sell the car "
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Maranello455
Private First Class
Maranello455's Avatar
Puerto Rico
4
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dorado.P.R.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Do you know if you still have your OEM downpipes? IMO, the best sounding exhaust on this car is catless downpipes with stock exhaust. You get 80% of the power gains while still retaining stock like exhaust that is deeper and doesn't drone or rasp.
I have that setup in my car,for me also it sounds and performs perfect. Installing 3" MS aftermarket downpipes, will it alter the sound of the exhaust and will the HP gain be felt?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

I keep reading how restrictive the 135's stock exhaust is though. I wonder if they are referring to the catted mid-pipe on earlier years (mine) or is it the axle back that is so restrictive? For those of you that installed cat-less downpipes but kept the stock section, did you have any issues with the secondary cats getting clogged up?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySu View Post
It's a straight one. I am going to sale it at a low price.
There's your problem. Sell it and buy the "whisper" version. It has a muffler. Or, offer to trade someone the maddad part for the stock muffler if you want quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
25
Rep
1,491
Posts

 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I keep reading how restrictive the 135's stock exhaust is though. I wonder if they are referring to the catted mid-pipe on earlier years (mine) or is it the axle back that is so restrictive? For those of you that installed cat-less downpipes but kept the stock section, did you have any issues with the secondary cats getting clogged up?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
RickySu
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I keep reading how restrictive the 135's stock exhaust is though. I wonder if they are referring to the catted mid-pipe on earlier years (mine) or is it the axle back that is so restrictive? For those of you that installed cat-less downpipes but kept the stock section, did you have any issues with the secondary cats getting clogged up?
the situation is , all other parts are stock, except the muffler part is removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
51
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I keep reading how restrictive the 135's stock exhaust is though. I wonder if they are referring to the catted mid-pipe on earlier years (mine) or is it the axle back that is so restrictive? For those of you that installed cat-less downpipes but kept the stock section, did you have any issues with the secondary cats getting clogged up?

Primary and Secondary cats are identical. Why would the secondary get clogged up and from what?

On both 335 and 135, the restriction on the exhaust are the Cats, the axel back aka muffler section is no issue.

Removing primary cats provides most hp gains (across the board), and removing secondary cats gives 10whp (Mainly top end).

Removing the muffler/axel back provides no real gains except for sound and perception that the car is faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Because the cats in the dps burn everything off and without them the secondaries get plugged? Just thought I'd read that somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
51
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Because the cats in the dps burn everything off and without them the secondaries get plugged? Just thought I'd read that somewhere.
Think about what you just said....

cats in the dp would burn everything off without the secondary cats getting plugged. So whats preventing the cats in the dp from plugging up? haha

Ya, what you read somewhere was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,692
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranello455 View Post
I have that setup in my car,for me also it sounds and performs perfect. Installing 3" MS aftermarket downpipes, will it alter the sound of the exhaust and will the HP gain be felt?
It will alter the sound slightly under WOT, otherwise it sounds exactly like stock. Power can be felt especially if you have a tune for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Think about what you just said....

cats in the dp would burn everything off without the secondary cats getting plugged. So whats preventing the cats in the dp from plugging up? haha

Ya, what you read somewhere was wrong.
Because the primary cats get hotter due to their placement, so they would be more efficient?

Anyway, enough of me trying to explain myself and you talking to me like I'm 3 years old. I got it, they wont get plugged. But, I don't see the point of keeping the secondary cats if you go to the time and expense to install downpipes.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST