BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,948
iTrader: (0)

I'm a big fan of the DCT but I think it's 2 biggest downsides are:
- it's not easy to launch, therefore not the best for drag racing
- diff is welded so aftermarket LSD's are 4k +
Everywhere else, the DCT is unbelievable. If these things aren't a concern than the DCT is perfect.

I personally prefer the 8spd because imho, it felt 90% as quick as the DCT which is amazing. I assume the 8spd is bolted as opposed to welded so LSD is only a 2k investment and it shouldn't be any harder to launch than the 6spd steptronics. Plus you've got an extra 2 gears over the N54 step and N55 DCT so fuel economy gets even better on the highway.

Both transmissions are amazing though.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #46
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'm a big fan of the DCT but I think it's 2 biggest downsides are:
- it's not easy to launch, therefore not the best for drag racing
- diff is welded so aftermarket LSD's are 4k +
Everywhere else, the DCT is unbelievable. If these things aren't a concern than the DCT is perfect.

I personally prefer the 8spd because imho, it felt 90% as quick as the DCT which is amazing. I assume the 8spd is bolted as opposed to welded so LSD is only a 2k investment and it shouldn't be any harder to launch than the 6spd steptronics. Plus you've got an extra 2 gears over the N54 step and N55 DCT so fuel economy gets even better on the highway.

Both transmissions are amazing though.
I thought all since about 09 were welded? plus DCT is a 7 cog
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #47
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
I thought all since about 09 were welded? plus DCT is a 7 cog
Never said DCT wasn't 7 spd

Btw, I'm 09 N54 bolted. My wavetrac was 2k installed incl diff oil. Don't think I'd ever cough up 4k+ for an LSD.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #48
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,858
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Never said DCT wasn't 7 spd

Btw, I'm 09 N54 bolted. My wavetrac was 2k installed incl diff oil. Don't think I'd ever cough up 4k+ for an LSD.
I also thought all later models were welded as apparentley this method saves bmw $ in manufacturing costs.

May I ask who installed your diff (I realise you're in qld am im in nsw) and what diff oil do you run? I'm getting ready to organise to have my wavetrac installed, but am thinking i might at well get the subframe bushes, coilovers toe arms sways end links installed whilst she is all apart
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #49
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I also thought all later models were welded as apparentley this method saves bmw $ in manufacturing costs.

May I ask who installed your diff (I realise you're in qld am im in nsw) and what diff oil do you run? I'm getting ready to organise to have my wavetrac installed, but am thinking i might at well get the subframe bushes, coilovers toe arms sways end links installed whilst she is all apart
I'm not sure on the reasoning. Yours will be welded since yours is a manual. Accelerate Automotive in Coopers Plains did mine. They've done a few now and I had no issues. I'm using redline 75w140Ns, I think. Dropped the diff oil at 3k because I'm OCD. You have the right idea about installing the other components at the same time as dropping the rear subframe is very labour intensive.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #50
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,858
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'm not sure on the reasoning. Yours will be welded since yours is a manual. Accelerate Automotive in Coopers Plains did mine. They've done a few now and I had no issues. I'm using redline 75w140Ns, I think. Dropped the diff oil at 3k because I'm OCD. You have the right idea about installing the other components at the same time as dropping the rear subframe is very labour intensive.
Mine is bolted by memory all pre mid 07 were all bolted

I have heard its wise to change diff oil as often as your crankcase if you drive your car hard.

And another excuse to buy all the supporting parts also to do with the diff
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #51
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Mine is bolted by memory all pre mid 07 were all bolted

I have heard its wise to change diff oil as often as your crankcase if you drive your car hard.

And another excuse to buy all the supporting parts also to do with the diff
I didn't realise yours is an 07, there's a good chance yours is bolted as I recall they switched to welded around that time.

I was told the diff oil didn't need changing but I always change any and all fluids well in advance. I'll probably change the diff oil again at 30k for peace of mind. Already have stocked up on the oil anyway

If you go with Wavetrac the Redline 75w140ns is the only recommended oil. It is essential that you use the Non-slip version otherwise you will void your warranty.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #52
BMJ
Captain
 
BMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 869
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Can you guys just imagine what a M135i would turn lap wise with ALL the 1M suspension bits and an engine flash tune!
what about a 1M with a tune!
BMJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #53
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Never said DCT wasn't 7 spd

Btw, I'm 09 N54 bolted. My wavetrac was 2k installed incl diff oil. Don't think I'd ever cough up 4k+ for an LSD.
ok, just the way you worded 'Plus you've got an extra 2 gears over the N54 step and N55 DCT' sounded like you thought it was a 6 speed'
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #54
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
what about a 1M with a tune!
well they need it to keep up with all the other n54/5's
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #55
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
what about a 1M with a tune!
It's all the 1M really needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
ok, just the way you worded 'Plus you've got an extra 2 gears over the N54 step and N55 DCT' sounded like you thought it was a 6 speed'
Sorry pav, I can see where you're coming from now.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST