BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #45
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
16

 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
pics arent working any mo0re
I'll put up my pics when I have time
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #46
135iMike
First Lieutenant
27

 
Drives: 2012 White 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

You guys are cray for spraying them with the wheels on the car.. I don't see how that would be 'easier' or even save any time. Though from what everyone is saying they came out great (I can't see the pics!)..

I'll be spraying my winter set this weekend.

$40 a can!? Yikes. haha.

As far as durability - I only have a year as a reference, but I've seen a pal's last flawlessly for that long through many washes and miles. More than enough considering you can just peel and paint again!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #47
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
12

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Perth


Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
pics arent working any mo0re
I'll put up my pics when I have time
Sorry guys. Pictures fixed.
__________________
BMW 08 135i with Sat Nav, comfort access, Modmy3 LED interior kit, Modmy3 6000K HID, Golf Tee Mod, plasti dipped matt black wheels, JB+, BMS DCI .
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #48
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: BMW e87 120i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Melbourne


Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Thinking about doing mine lately. Out of reference how many cans did you use and how many coats did you apply ?
__________________
'06 6s MT E87 BMW 120i M-Sport Sparkling graphite metallic'

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #49
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
16

 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Update: edges have started peeling on 2 of my wheels, at the edges between the rim and the tyre. Tried to "touch up" but turned out horrible, had to respray them entirely... I think I will just go get new rims when I get around to changing my tyres. Plastidip is fun/easy but not a long term solution for me.

Next time if it happens again I might try and get some paint thinner to "melt" the plastic back into liquid (they sell a repair kit on dipyourcar.com, basically just a thinner plus a glove).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #50
froop
Colonel
Australia
61

 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia


Posts: 2,195
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf
Update: edges have started peeling on 2 of my wheels, at the edges between the rim and the tyre. Tried to "touch up" but turned out horrible, had to respray them entirely... I think I will just go get new rims when I get around to changing my tyres. Plastidip is fun/easy but not a long term solution for me.

Next time if it happens again I might try and get some paint thinner to "melt" the plastic back into liquid (they sell a repair kit on dipyourcar.com, basically just a thinner plus a glove).
How did you do the edges of the rim? Did you tape the tyre or just spray over it and peel off?
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #51
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
16

 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I rubbed tyre cleaner on the tyre, sprayed liberally (with deliberate overspray) & peeled off excess from tyre. It works just fine, I don't think taping it would have been any different.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #52
flinchy
Colonel
71

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia


Posts: 2,860
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMike View Post
You guys are cray for spraying them with the wheels on the car.. I don't see how that would be 'easier' or even save any time. Though from what everyone is saying they came out great (I can't see the pics!)..

I'll be spraying my winter set this weekend.

$40 a can!? Yikes. haha.

As far as durability - I only have a year as a reference, but I've seen a pal's last flawlessly for that long through many washes and miles. More than enough considering you can just peel and paint again!
thought i'd add mine to this thread since i just finished (save making a new one too):

$26/can shipped ($104 shipped for 4) blaze orange.. it took one can per DECENT coat, for all 4 wheels, did 3 coats, have a can left over for touchups in a few days (if the tire change causes any damage).. or if i feel like doing my mirror caps :P

narrow angle because the center caps are all sprayed over (replacing them on tuesday, new tires too)

did them on the car, 4 shopping bag covering the calipers and rotors, 4 bits of cardboard covering the overspray on the body:

it's not a PERFECT finish, but for the 1/4 cost of a powdercoat and not having to take them off the car.....:







love the colour, definitely going to get my next set powdercoated orange
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #53
Kirst
Space Cadet
Australia
10

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brisbane - BMW Club QLD Member


Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

I like! Looks like you've done a good job
Want! But in white with pink
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #54
///Chase
First Lieutenant
Australia
25

 
///Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 BSM 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 380
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
thought i'd add mine to this thread since i just finished (save making a new one too):

$26/can shipped ($104 shipped for 4) blaze orange.. it took one can per DECENT coat, for all 4 wheels, did 3 coats, have a can left over for touchups in a few days (if the tire change causes any damage).. or if i feel like doing my mirror caps :P

narrow angle because the center caps are all sprayed over (replacing them on tuesday, new tires too)

did them on the car, 4 shopping bag covering the calipers and rotors, 4 bits of cardboard covering the overspray on the body:

it's not a PERFECT finish, but for the 1/4 cost of a powdercoat and not having to take them off the car.....:







love the colour, definitely going to get my next set powdercoated orange
thats...interesting...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #55
///Chase
First Lieutenant
Australia
25

 
///Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 BSM 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 380
iTrader: (0)

my kidneys are plasti-dipped. the stuff has been on for over 6 months no peeling or anything. I've also high pressure hosed my car lots doesn't affect it at all.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #56
Kirst
Space Cadet
Australia
10

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brisbane - BMW Club QLD Member


Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Chase
thats...interesting...

To be fair now that he has replaced the caps it looks like a normal wheel again and not so oversprayed
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #57
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
1

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne


Posts: 153
iTrader: (0)

The orange looks good except now your wheel nuts are the same colour.

I tried Autobarn but they said they can't get it.

The guy said there was somewhere in Moorabbin that this was available, anyone know where from?
__________________
'06 130i M Sport Hatch
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #58
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
16

 
Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane


Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz View Post
The orange looks good except now your wheel nuts are the same colour.

I tried Autobarn but they said they can't get it.

The guy said there was somewhere in Moorabbin that this was available, anyone know where from?
http://www.caswellplating.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #59
pavo335
Banned
55

 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney


Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iMike View Post
You guys are cray for spraying them with the wheels on the car.. I don't see how that would be 'easier' or even save any time. Though from what everyone is saying they came out great (I can't see the pics!)..

I'll be spraying my winter set this weekend.

$40 a can!? Yikes. haha.

As far as durability - I only have a year as a reference, but I've seen a pal's last flawlessly for that long through many washes and miles. More than enough considering you can just peel and paint again!
thought i'd add mine to this thread since i just finished (save making a new one too):

$26/can shipped ($104 shipped for 4) blaze orange.. it took one can per DECENT coat, for all 4 wheels, did 3 coats, have a can left over for touchups in a few days (if the tire change causes any damage).. or if i feel like doing my mirror caps :P

narrow angle because the center caps are all sprayed over (replacing them on tuesday, new tires too)

did them on the car, 4 shopping bag covering the calipers and rotors, 4 bits of cardboard covering the overspray on the body:

it's not a PERFECT finish, but for the 1/4 cost of a powdercoat and not having to take them off the car.....:







love the colour, definitely going to get my next set powdercoated orange
Sorry but
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #60
JB4-335
Colonel
Australia
51

 
JB4-335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia


Posts: 2,586
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Sorry but
Really.....I thought you were considering Lime Green for your wheels.
__________________
JB4
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #61
pavo335
Banned
55

 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney


Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Really.....I thought you were considering Lime Green for your wheels.
Lime huh, ill think about that

i wonder what they would look like on a vo 1m
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #62
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
9

 
1BimmerNut's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i that turned into a 130i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia


Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

The old days - bring em back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Chase View Post
thats...interesting...
Orange wheels on a Bimmer....Back when I was a boy BM and Merc in Germany would offer to buy back cars that were modified in a way that did not represent the brand.....just saying
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #63
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
132

 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia


Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Lime huh, ill think about that

i wonder what they would look like on a vo 1m
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #64
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
158

 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz


Posts: 7,580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
I wonder what they would look like on a vo 1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
+1
__________________
ZUZETTE Build..http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606023
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Remus Race exhaust . SSK . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #65
flinchy
Colonel
71

 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia


Posts: 2,860
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Really.....I thought you were considering Lime Green for your wheels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BimmerNut View Post
Orange wheels on a Bimmer....Back when I was a boy BM and Merc in Germany would offer to buy back cars that were modified in a way that did not represent the brand.....just saying
my favourite M's have either been orange and black or black and orange

including that sweet recent video of the E46 in romania and another one in poland of the E(36?) drifting the streets

i think orange on black suits BMW's perfectly.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST