BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #45
SlickShift
Major
 
SlickShift's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 Z4MR
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,349
iTrader: (3)

I've gotten about 21-22 MPG since day one. My N54 never "matured" like my E46 3er, where I got a 2-3 MPG bump after about 20K miles.
__________________
-Nick
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster
Interlagos Blue
/Sepang Bronze/Aluminum
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i
SlickShift is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #46
magiik
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

I can only stay above 20 by resetting the average and keeping the live mpg on... otherwise I probably average 19 with a 70/30 highway/city ratio
magiik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #47
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
 
chrisko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i | 2006 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

Posts: 208
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Wanted to add an update.

65/35 hwy/city I got about 22.4-23 (just added today). GRANTED I just got my JB4 installed + catless DP + axle back installed so I've been a bit boost happy as well (trying my best to test out the JB4).

When I went on a 34 mile highway commute right after fueling, I averaged 28.2 mpg and it was still rising when I got there. Probably could have gotten it to 30 with some babying.
__________________
Website

2011 N55 135i | AA Catless DP | AA Signature Exhaust | JB4 Stage 2 | LCI Tails | ER CP
chrisko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #48
Bmwbreed
Major
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rota Spain (US Forces)

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bmwbreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
Wanted to add an update.

65/35 hwy/city I got about 22.4-23 (just added today). GRANTED I just got my JB4 installed + catless DP + axle back installed so I've been a bit boost happy as well (trying my best to test out the JB4).

When I went on a 34 mile highway commute right after fueling, I averaged 28.2 mpg and it was still rising when I got there. Probably could have gotten it to 30 with some babying.
Good info man. Ill be doing almost the same mods here as soon as my break ins over. Already have jb4 and just ordered down pipes. Tell me how much better is the acceleration difference?
Bmwbreed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #49
135iMike
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 White 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 334
iTrader: (1)

Now that I have a solid amount of miles on a run (about 4k miles), which is about 70% urban 30% highway.

I'm averaging 20.8. Lol.
135iMike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #50
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
 
chrisko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i | 2006 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

Posts: 208
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Good info man. Ill be doing almost the same mods here as soon as my break ins over. Already have jb4 and just ordered down pipes. Tell me how much better is the acceleration difference?
I feel like there's more turbo lag, supposedly the ISO firmware fixes it. It definitely pulls harder though, much harder. But for some reason, I feel like the power is inconsistent--sometimes it feels more powerful, other times it feels weak.

I was actually planning on getting a Cobb AP but they don't have a stage 2 map out yet for my catless DP yet. I do plan on switching once that is released.
__________________
Website

2011 N55 135i | AA Catless DP | AA Signature Exhaust | JB4 Stage 2 | LCI Tails | ER CP
chrisko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #51
Gray_Panther
Major
 
Gray_Panther's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 1,073
iTrader: (0)

How do you reset the average mpg? I have a 128i FYI

I been averaging 24ish with 5k miles. Back roads mostly and highway. Not too much urban. But I do gun it when I feel the need for speed
__________________
2012 BMW 128i 6MT Deep Sea Blue Metallic
FX-R Bi-Xenon Projectors With 5000k Bulbs & Halo's More Kick Ass Than Any BMW
Gray_Panther is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #52
135Pats
Can't decide....
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,374
iTrader: (1)

I get horrendous MPG but that’s likely because I’m tuned and do 80% of my driving in DC rush hour, so trudging along from one light to another with a billion stops and starts is just about the worst case scenario for gas mileage. I get about 15 to the gallon, on the highway it’s more like mid-20s. My commute is only about 20 miles round trip so thankfully I’m not filling up more than once a week, but the actual gas mileage is not good at all.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #53
Bmwbreed
Major
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rota Spain (US Forces)

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bmwbreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
How do you reset the average mpg? I have a 128i FYI

I been averaging 24ish with 5k miles. Back roads mostly and highway. Not too much urban. But I do gun it when I feel the need for speed
When you push the board computer button on the end of the turn stalk once it displays the average mpg push again. Just hold it though dont let go or it will go to the next display which is instant mpg. Hold it and in a couple seconds the average will go blank and its reset.
Bmwbreed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #54
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
 
chrisko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i | 2006 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

Posts: 208
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I get horrendous MPG but thatís likely because Iím tuned and do 80% of my driving in DC rush hour, so trudging along from one light to another with a billion stops and starts is just about the worst case scenario for gas mileage. I get about 15 to the gallon, on the highway itís more like mid-20s. My commute is only about 20 miles round trip so thankfully Iím not filling up more than once a week, but the actual gas mileage is not good at all.
DC traffic will definitely kill your MPG. I live 1 mile from work and I'm almost on the throttle the entire time. I get around 16mpg with that commute. Not to mention, my MPG always takes a hit every time I start up the engine.
__________________
Website

2011 N55 135i | AA Catless DP | AA Signature Exhaust | JB4 Stage 2 | LCI Tails | ER CP
chrisko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,931
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
When you push the board computer button on the end of the turn stalk once it displays the average mpg push again. Just hold it though dont let go or it will go to the next display which is instant mpg. Hold it and in a couple seconds the average will go blank and its reset.
You can also reset it via the MENU button on the radio: MENU >> COMP >> CONSMP >> RESET.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #56
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,539
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I drive mostly city with one or two 50 mile (round trip) highway drives a week. I've let my average fuel consumption run for the last 4,000 miles. I'm at 24.2 MPG. I know it's a solid average, because it doesn't move from 24.2, even after one of the 50 mile road trips.

One thing I've noticed with the 135i (and all turbo cars) is that fuel economy is affected significantly by driving style. With a naturally aspirated engine, the intake always operates in a vacuum, so the volume of fuel-air mixture circulating through the engine can only vary up to a maximum that the engine design can flow. With a turbocharged car, you have positive intake pressure literally forcing more fuel-air mixture in to the engine. This means you can either sip fuel while operating at partial throttle, or you can GULP fuel under boost.

Another significant factor is the way fuel-air mixture is controlled in a turbocharged car. Ever notice that a turbo car will put out a puff of smoke when you floor it? This happens even to brand new turbo cars. This is the engine management system forcing a rich mixture in preparation for the onset of high intake charge temperatures and rapidly changing combustion chamber conditions. All engines, even N/A ones, richen the mixture on acceleration, but this effect is even more significant in turbocharged engines.

It takes a lot of discipline to get good fuel economy with the N54/N55. You have to go easy on the throttle. Accelerate smoothly under light throttle and try to avoid "stabbing" the gas. You'll get much better mileage. Then again, I'm assuming you bought a 135i for the same reasons I did. I want to feel the go-go! I've been through two sets of rear tires on a 36 month lease, and my turn-in isn't until mid-July
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
 
chrisko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i | 2006 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gaithersburg, MD

Posts: 208
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I drive mostly city with one or two 50 mile (round trip) highway drives a week. I've let my average fuel consumption run for the last 4,000 miles. I'm at 24.2 MPG. I know it's a solid average, because it doesn't move from 24.2, even after one of the 50 mile road trips.

One thing I've noticed with the 135i (and all turbo cars) is that fuel economy is affected significantly by driving style. With a naturally aspirated engine, the intake always operates in a vacuum, so the volume of fuel-air mixture circulating through the engine can only vary up to a maximum that the engine design can flow. With a turbocharged car, you have positive intake pressure literally forcing more fuel-air mixture in to the engine. This means you can either sip fuel while operating at partial throttle, or you can GULP fuel under boost.

Another significant factor is the way fuel-air mixture is controlled in a turbocharged car. Ever notice that a turbo car will put out a puff of smoke when you floor it? This happens even to brand new turbo cars. This is the engine management system forcing a rich mixture in preparation for the onset of high intake charge temperatures and rapidly changing combustion chamber conditions. All engines, even N/A ones, richen the mixture on acceleration, but this effect is even more significant in turbocharged engines.

It takes a lot of discipline to get good fuel economy with the N54/N55. You have to go easy on the throttle. Accelerate smoothly under light throttle and try to avoid "stabbing" the gas. You'll get much better mileage. Then again, I'm assuming you bought a 135i for the same reasons I did. I want to feel the go-go! I've been through two sets of rear tires on a 36 month lease, and my turn-in isn't until mid-July
Great info!!!
__________________
Website

2011 N55 135i | AA Catless DP | AA Signature Exhaust | JB4 Stage 2 | LCI Tails | ER CP
chrisko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #58
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 12,951
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Numbers are not bad considering most of us on the forum like to do spirited driving.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #59
Bmwbreed
Major
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rota Spain (US Forces)

Posts: 1,149
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bmwbreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Then again, I'm assuming you bought a 135i for the same reasons I did. I want to feel the go-go! I've been through two sets of rear tires on a 36 month lease, and my turn-in isn't until mid-July
x10000000000000 lol
Haha very well put man. Like I said in my original post I'm sure none of us bought this car to be Eco friendly lol. Just only having had NA bmws I wasn't sure what to expect for milage.
Bmwbreed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #60
Gray_Panther
Major
 
Gray_Panther's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 1,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
When you push the board computer button on the end of the turn stalk once it displays the average mpg push again. Just hold it though dont let go or it will go to the next display which is instant mpg. Hold it and in a couple seconds the average will go blank and its reset.
Thanks I'll be sure to do that.
And thanks BMW1Racer for the added tip!
__________________
2012 BMW 128i 6MT Deep Sea Blue Metallic
FX-R Bi-Xenon Projectors With 5000k Bulbs & Halo's More Kick Ass Than Any BMW
Gray_Panther is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #61
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
 
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta

Posts: 186
iTrader: (0)

Did a little trip today, managed 7.99L/100km at an average of 94.2KM/H, pretty damn good!
08LMB135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #62
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,539
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LMB135i View Post
Did a little trip today, managed 7.99L/100km at an average of 94.2KM/H, pretty damn good!
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What is this metric you speak of?
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #63
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

I'm leery of posting my mileage stats anywhere. It sends a zing through my tinfoil hat...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100359287/The...er_Mile_Driven
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #64
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
 
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta

Posts: 186
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LMB135i View Post
Did a little trip today, managed 7.99L/100km at an average of 94.2KM/H, pretty damn good!
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What is this metric you speak of?
35.33 Imperial MPG on a 290 mile trip.
08LMB135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #65
aerobod
Car Geek
 
aerobod's Avatar
 
Drives: Caterham R400, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What is this metric you speak of?
Tools for the metrically disabled: http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sc...w=1920&bih=925
aerobod is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #66
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,539
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
I'm leery of posting my mileage stats anywhere. It sends a zing through my tinfoil hat...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100359287/The...er_Mile_Driven
Why does it matter? If they implement this tax, mileage reporting will become compulsory anyway. It's not like they're going to make it retroactive.
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST