BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

where does everyone get thier brake replacements?

Where does everyone get their brake replacements?

My "your brake are worn down to the thinnest" warning started blinking last week.

I have searched around a little but I don’t know what website to order from.

What websites are you guys using and what brakes did you guys get for your 135i M package with the large breaks?

I would like to use street brakes too that dont squeak!
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,209
iTrader: (1)

First ALL 135i's have the same size brakes. M package or not.



You can find good prices at any of the site sponsors here on Bimmerport.com

Places like United BMW, Tischer, or the like. ECS has a good deal on Performance rotors right now. Almost half off. Check their website out.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
I love these pads. http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-pads-1-series

And I agree that ECS is usually the best place to buy rotors, though I don't see any spectacular deals there today. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...raking/Rotors/
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,236
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I love these pads. http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-pads-1-series

And I agree that ECS is usually the best place to buy rotors, though I don't see any spectacular deals there today. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...raking/Rotors/
I don't think he was asking about rotors but ESC is running a special on their performance rotors for $299

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ors/ES2102485/
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
AlBinVA
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 135 vert
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond VA

Posts: 111
iTrader: (1)

I realize that people drive differently, but what is the typical life expectancy for brake pads?
AlBinVA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,209
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I don't think he was asking about rotors but ESC is running a special on their performance rotors for $299

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ors/ES2102485/
^^Yup, that is the ECS deal I was thinking about.

Thanks Pixel.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I would like to use street breaks too that dont squeek!
You may want to consider Cool Carbon pads. No noise, low dust and easy on the rotors. Although my experience says that they need to be bedded in properly before they feel decent. Until bedded, the initial bite will be lacking and you need to get them hot every couple weeks or the initial bite will start to feel soft. That being said, I don't know of any pads that have the initial bite of BMW's OEM pads. If you can stand the dust and routine squealing, stick with OEM pads for the street.
Pig Farmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
1speedbike
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

http://www.raceshopper.com
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
First ALL 135i's have the same size brakes. M package or not.



You can find good prices at any of the site sponsors here on Bimmerport.com

Places like United BMW, Tischer, or the like. ECS has a good deal on Performance rotors right now. Almost half off. Check their website out.
Ahhh for some reason I thought that I had a big break kit because My buddies 135i has smaller all gray breaks not the light blue brembo looking breaks like mine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I love these pads. http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...-pads-1-series

And I agree that ECS is usually the best place to buy rotors, though I don't see any spectacular deals there today. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...raking/Rotors/
I will keep Checking, what kind of deals should I expect, half off like another has suggested?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I don't think he was asking about rotors but ESC is running a special on their performance rotors for $299

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ors/ES2102485/
and HOPEFULLY I will not need rotors, just brake pads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBinVA View Post
I realize that people drive differently, but what is the typical life expectancy for brake pads?
I feel like it varies soo so much, essentially I can got a week virtually putting almost no wear on the breaks (since I live SOO close to work and shut off my turbos and drive like a grandma) And other time I'll drive to the beach like I'm driving away from an atomic bomb and can even start to feel my brakes fade lol soo It varies too much to say. Also I've only had this car for 8 months, 15k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^Yup, that is the ECS deal I was thinking about.

Thanks Pixel.
I'll check it out, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
You may want to consider Cool Carbon pads. No noise, low dust and easy on the rotors. Although my experience says that they need to be bedded in properly before they feel decent. Until bedded, the initial bite will be lacking and you need to get them hot every couple weeks or the initial bite will start to feel soft. That being said, I don't know of any pads that have the initial bite of BMW's OEM pads. If you can stand the dust and routine squealing, stick with OEM pads for the street.

and by bedded in you mean put them to the test? because I have no problems doing that


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Thank you!
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,209
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianReyess View Post
Ahhh for some reason I thought that I had a big break kit because My buddies 135i has smaller all gray brakes not the light blue brembo looking breaks like mine.

Light blue!?!? Can you post a pic?



All 135i's have grey brake calipers.


You could buy the BMW Performance calipers which were the very same brake calipers just painted yellow and had the Performance cross drilled rotors. You could even have this kit installed at the port by BMW or just buy the parts from a dealer.


Name:  brake calipaers 7194d5j_20.jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  brakes_bmw_performance_big_brake_kit_e82_128i_135i_e90_e92_328i_335i_performance_brake_kit_BMW-B.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  brakes Performance libe 7144086011_95ea4704ff_b.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  209.0 KB

Name:  brakes SFPLImage98278.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  51.5 KB
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)

Mine has 14k on it, and the brake pads look just about new. But I live in the flatlands.

On previous BMW's I always replaced the rotors when replacing the pads - something about BMW rotors having less tolerance to resurfacing. Not sure if the 135 is the same, but I would be surprised if it wasn't. Also, I've looked many times at buying from an online shop, but when you figure the shipping (with rotors), the dealer price was close enough. Many dealers will give 10-15% off to BMWCCA members, and sometimes if you just ask for a discount. Don't forget to buy a new sensor wire -you will need to replace yours, as it wears through to trigger your dash light (again, I'm assuming the 135 is like other BMW's -please correct if anyone knows different).

One more observation - if you buy different type pads/rotors, be prepared for the brakes to feel very different than they do now. Harder pads/rotors will require more effort, of course.

Good luck!
bbbbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
fun2drv
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 135i & '15 M4 on order
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Springboro, OH

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

Any DIY for changing the front brake pads?
fun2drv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,236
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
Any DIY for changing the front brake pads?
here's a good one by joeo
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721714
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Light blue!?!? Can you post a pic?



All 135i's have grey brake calipers.


You could buy the BMW Performance calipers which were the very same brake calipers just painted yellow and had the Performance cross drilled rotors. You could even have this kit installed at the port by BMW or just buy the parts from a dealer.


Attachment 809701

Attachment 809702

Attachment 809703

Attachment 809704
You are right, for some reason I thought they were light blue almost grey, but no they are just straight gray -___- hahah my bad


What do you guys think about http://www.r1concepts.com/p-168439-s...rake-pads.aspx

More stopping (less fadding with heat) power but noise and lesss pad/rotor life

or

http://www.r1concepts.com/p-168436-p...rake-pads.aspx

quiet, longer life etc....


These? Anyone have any experience with them?
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Focusedintntions
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (1)

I have a set of the R1 rotors...never have put them on the car though, they're just a back up for me in case I have an issue with my larger RB rotors. Honestly i think the best oem sized rotors you can get are the ebc ultimax rotors. Best price i've found on those is at AutoAnything. The ultimax rotors i've had have gone through a pounding and looked almost as good as the first day I put them on. I've been really pleased with them the most out of all the rotors i've tried on my car.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Focusedintntions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,860
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I feel like I just stepped into the 90s
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
1speedbike
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I feel like I just stepped into the 90s
lol i didn't buy car parts in the 90's, but they seem to have the best prices and the customer service is awesome. It's just weird how you can't buy online, you have to call to place an order.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I have a set of the R1 rotors...never have put them on the car though, they're just a back up for me in case I have an issue with my larger RB rotors. Honestly i think the best oem sized rotors you can get are the ebc ultimax rotors. Best price i've found on those is at AutoAnything. The ultimax rotors i've had have gone through a pounding and looked almost as good as the first day I put them on. I've been really pleased with them the most out of all the rotors i've tried on my car.
THose look nice and I will keep that in mind, but I am only looking at pads for now? are there different sized pads too?!?!?!
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
I already posted a link to the Cool Carbon pads that I like. For other pads, this place usually has the best price. http://www.topbrakes.com/searchResults.php/998
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Focusedintntions
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (1)

There aren't different sized brake pads, but different brake compounds on them. As gary posted i think the best pads for the street are the cool carbons.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Focusedintntions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 155
iTrader: (1)

Brake Pad Wear Sensor Clip
Keep your sensors secure and clipped in
Brand:
ES#: 61976 Mfg#: 34356767984
In Stock $0.99 $0.99 ... Brake Pad Wear Sensor Clip
Keep your sensors secure and clipped in
Brand:
ES#: 61990 Mfg#: 34356779356
In Stock $1.17 $1.17 ... Front GreenStuff Performance Brake Pad Set
Designed as a mildly upgraded pad, great for an afternoon of sporty driving…
Brand:
ES#: 2070709 Mfg#: DP21995
Ships in 1-3 days $77.68 $77.68 ... Rear RedStuff Performance Brake Pad Set
A high performance street pad, featuring Kevlar technology
Brand:
ES#: 2070775 Mfg#: DP31996C
In Stock $59.88 $59.88 ... Front Brake Pad Wear Sensor
Alerts you when your brake pads begin to wear thin
Brand:
ES#: 2534770 Mfg#: 34356789440~URO
In Stock $8.95 $8.95 ... Rear Brake Pad Wear Sensor
Should be replaced each time brake pads are replaced.
Brand:
ES#: 2534772 Mfg#: 34356789445~URO
In Stock $9.95 $9.95 ... Syl-Glide Silicone Brake Lubricant Compound - 4…
Grease pad slides, backs of pads and all other metal-on-metal contact…
Brand:
ES#: 2594078 Mfg#: BK-1~AGS
In Stock $1.39 $1.39 ...



what does everyone think, I want the "greenstuff" because I want the pads to last me a bit and not wear my rotor down as fast.

but I also want it to be silent without spending $350.00 just on pads!

Ahhh so many choises, the opportunity cost is too high lol


My cart: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ing/Pads/Cart/
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,236
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianReyess View Post
what does everyone think, I want the "greenstuff" because I want the pads to last me a bit and not wear my rotor down as fast.

but I also want it to be silent without spending $350.00 just on pads!

Ahhh so many choises, the opportunity cost is too high lol


My cart: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ing/Pads/Cart/
you keep asking what everyone thinks and everyone says emphatically cool carbons. get what you like and stop asking what everyone thinks
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brake pad change

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST