BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

Has anyone seen this error before? I'm trying to avoid the dealer but it may be inevitable. I'm running 100% stock bulbs at the moment, and all of them are working properly. I removed my LED AEs to see if that would make it go away - nope. I also tried replacing front and rear turn signal bulbs. This alert doesn't come up every time I start the car, probably about 40% of the time. Sometimes it will disappear when I start driving. It started happening out of the blue about 2 months ago.



Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,600
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
maybe the bulb is starting to wear out?
__________________
2009 128i Coupe Crimson Red MODS: -Injen Intake-Magnaflow Exhaust-Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Carbon Fiber Grilles - OZ Ultraleggeras - CF Mirrors
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,815
iTrader: (1)

I googled: "CC-ID 381" and came up with this...


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266104


I would check your BFD (brake force) bulb , those are the inner brake light bulbs that only come on when you get HARD on the brakes.

IF you have the euro rear brake fog light switch... you can turn them in and check your bulbs. They are the same bulb.


...................

BMW_tech
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: halfway there

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,018


In case of a check control warning, always check the CC ID number first. There is no need to connect the vehicle to the GT1.

Perform the following steps to check the CC ID number:

---Switch on ignition (KL-R or KL-15)

---Toggle rotary switch on direction indicator switch to bring up "Check Control"

---Briefly press the on-board computer button

---Select the Check-Control message required with the rocker switch

---Press the on-board computer button for longer than 2 seconds

The following message will appear in the bottom line of the LCD display for approx. 2 seconds:"CC-ID xxx"

The CC numbers for a faulty BFD (brake force) bulb are 372 (Left) and 373 (Right) and most comom/known issue.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I googled: "CC-ID 381" and came up with this...


http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266104


I would check your BFD (brake force) bulb , those are the inner brake light bulbs that only come on when you get HARD on the brakes.

IF you have the euro rear brake fog light switch... you can turn them in and check your bulbs. They are the same bulb.


...................

BMW_tech
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: halfway there

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,018


In case of a check control warning, always check the CC ID number first. There is no need to connect the vehicle to the GT1.

Perform the following steps to check the CC ID number:

---Switch on ignition (KL-R or KL-15)

---Toggle rotary switch on direction indicator switch to bring up "Check Control"

---Briefly press the on-board computer button

---Select the Check-Control message required with the rocker switch

---Press the on-board computer button for longer than 2 seconds

The following message will appear in the bottom line of the LCD display for approx. 2 seconds:"CC-ID xxx"

The CC numbers for a faulty BFD (brake force) bulb are 372 (Left) and 373 (Right) and most comom/known issue.
That's one bulb I haven't checked. I'm going to reseat both of them and see if that does it. Thanks Dak!
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

I replaced both BFD bulbs (Philips 12356LL), started the car, same error
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

381 is not the BFD lights, I would check the turn lights and the side markers front and rear. There is a bulb blown or at least malfunctioning.

FRM 381 Turn Signal Lights Defective- Right
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
381 is not the BFD lights, I would check the turn lights and the side markers front and rear. There is a bulb blown or at least malfunctioning.

FRM 381 Turn Signal Lights Defective- Right
The only bulbs I haven't replaced are the ones in the front fenders.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
The only bulbs I haven't replaced are the ones in the front fenders.
i also wonder if the code has to be reset via the computer. I will look for an article. Here is an article that i found that may help. It also suggests that corrosion can cause a fault.
http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,815
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
The only bulbs I haven't replaced are the ones in the front fenders.
That would be the turn signal bulbs rking117 is talking about!


I know they are a PITA to replace... but I would replace that side and recheck/retest.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
That would be the turn signal bulbs rking117 is talking about!


I know they are a PITA to replace... but I would replace that side and recheck/retest.
I tried to remove those the other day and had no luck. Any tricks?
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,815
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
I tried to remove those the other day and had no luck. Any tricks?
I have never changed them. But I think you have to remove the wheel and then the wheel well cover/liner. Then you can get access to the bulb. On some cars they have an access door on the fender liner.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have never changed them. But I think you have to remove the wheel and then the wheel well cover/liner. Then you can get access to the bulb. On some cars they have an access door on the fender liner.
I had to remove a cover in the wheel well to get to the front turn signal bulbs. The side marker lenses seem to push in one direction and then pop out - no luck getting them off though. It's going into the dealer tomorrow, hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
I had to remove a cover in the wheel well to get to the front turn signal bulbs. The side marker lenses seem to push in one direction and then pop out - no luck getting them off though. It's going into the dealer tomorrow, hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
Sorry man, keep us posted.
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

All fixed. Apparently when I had my front bumper repainted the body shop unplugged the lights while the battery was still connected. This made the car confused and it started throwing the error code.

At least I got new wiper blades out of it
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

sweet. Congrats
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 897
iTrader: (2)

As a follow up, the fix was only temporary. A few days later the error came back. I took it to the dealer again and they verified the error was coming from a faulty connector inside the passenger headlamp. They replaced the whole assembly under warranty. All good... for now Their price on the headlight is $1,100. Labor probably brings it to $1500 or so. Yowza.
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST