BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,045
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Do you have drone with your set up?
I got the SS sport and stock mids, so I got some metallic drone around 1500RPM, but I think it is because of bad instalation of the exhaust, because when listening the music with hard bass(logic 7) I hear some bad metallic voice from the same place
I have nothing like that, seems like bad install to me as well. I have a minimal drone at a very narrow band between 2200 to 2400 but nothing like the stock drone, it is even likeable and I assume it is going to be better with more mileage.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
jackkk
Second Lieutenant
 
jackkk's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Moscow

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I have nothing like that, seems like bad install to me as well. I have a minimal drone at a very narrow band between 2200 to 2400 but nothing like the stock drone, it is even likeable and I assume it is going to be better with more mileage.
looking for somethink with no drone at all) And you run the stock map? I plan to go with Evolve st1
jackkk is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
bvez3ro
Second Lieutenant
 
bvez3ro's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outback Munich

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

My Eisenmann Sport Exhaust came today. Have to make an appointment at my dealer to put it on. I will check if the drone is still there, cuz everything is stock except the Axle back Eisenmann Exhaust.
bvez3ro is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
beemer
force fed Member
 
beemer's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: sydney

Posts: 1,014
iTrader: (0)

n55 mids completely eliminated the drone in my car.
beemer is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

Replacing the N54 mids by the N55 mids on the 1M = significant reduction of 'drone'.

See these threads:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651547
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662265
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709182
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677414

Benefits of N55 mids on the 1M:
  • BMW OEM part;
  • easy plug and play / bolt-on install (same shape and connections) and ditto removal (if ever required to);
  • cheap mod for what you get in return: normal price is sub $400 (call around because prices seem to range - BMW OEM part, so your BMW dealer can certainly get them for you);
  • significant reduction of drone;
  • a little extra growl on the sound spectrum (if you want a louder, raspier noise, get Maddad mids instead of N55 mids);
  • less restricted fumes flow (due to the absence of secondary cats) - a little extra oomph (few extra hp);
  • ECU will not throw codes at you (reason: primary cats and sensors are sitting in the downpipes connected to the mids); only if you go for catless downpipes (loud !), the ECU will protest and, hence, needs to be reprogrammed (which voids the warranty);
  • no undesirable results (too loud, too smelly, risk of trouble with authorities and neighbors)
N55 mids = BMW OEM part # 18307599743
For the OEM bolts and gaskets part #, see these earlier posts of Dackel:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=8
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=16

In the event of replacing the N54 mids by the N55 mids, definitely keep the N54 mids somewhere for possible future re-install (1M resale). As a matter of fact, due to the presence of secondary cats, the N54 mids are ± five times more expensive than the N55 mids !

N55 midpipes (left - no secondary cats) versus N54 midpipes (right - secondary cats):
Name:  N55_N54_Midpipes.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  92.0 KB
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
N55 midpipes (left - no secondary cats) versus N54 midpipes (right - secondary cats):
Attachment 810958
as we all know by now, 1M mid pipe is not an ordinary N54 mid pipe, and does not have any cats.
-Z- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,045
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
as we all know by now, 1M mid pipe is not an ordinary N54 mid pipe, and does not have any cats.
I think you got it wrong. Yes it is not ordinary N54 mid pipe but 1M mid pipes do have cats, the resonator on the other hand turns out to be a dummy.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I think you got it wrong. Yes it is not ordinary N54 mid pipe but 1M mid pipes do have cats, the resonator on the other hand turns out to be a dummy.
you right. Got it confused, although I thought I had seen it somewhere those cats cut open and they were faked just like the muffler part.

Still think N55 mid is a waste, but the good thing it's very cheep, lightly used sells for around $250.

Last edited by -Z-; 01-23-2013 at 12:21 PM.
-Z- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #31
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
as we all know by now, 1M mid pipe is not an ordinary N54 mid pipe, and does not have any cats.
Please elaborate.

If those dangly bits on the N54 mids of the 1M are no secondary cats (see the red circle in the picture below), then what are these according to you and why do those N54 mids are ± five times as expensive as N55 mids ?

As Oz pointed out, aren't you confusing with the resonator ?
see http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779462

Name:  N55_N54_Midpipes.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  59.0 KB
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
N55 pipe is a waste of money, imho
I respect your point of view - to each his own.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating: experiences in the threads referenced above in post #27 shed another light, though.

Maddad mids are situated in a different price and sound range than the N55 mids.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #33
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

Replacement of the N54 midpipe by the N55 midpipe (DIY installation process):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797160
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST