BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Jezzer
Banned
 
Drives: Series 1 m coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 938
iTrader: (0)

Don't look if you don't like horror movies

1M vs M135i drag race...

Jezzer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 6,238
iTrader: (0)

Had to happen .... Don't think guy in 1M knows how to shift 1st to 2nd.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,931
iTrader: (0)

__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Denso
Captain
 
Denso's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gods Country Scotland

Posts: 820
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Had to happen .... Don't think guy in 1M knows how to shift 1st to 2nd.
Agreed !
Denso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

I didn't understand a word of it either.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 6,238
iTrader: (0)

The 1M lost on the launch actually. God that M135i is ugly, great little car though.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Tit
...
 
Tit's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i // R56JCW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

The front end of that 135 is a horror movie all by itself...
__________________
Tit is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
1'M Blue
Captain
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: OM

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

bright future coming .. if the m135i is this good and fast .. new M will be magnificent..

But love the 1M still . such a proper sports coupe.
1'M Blue is offline   Oman
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
NPVPositive
First Lieutenant
 
NPVPositive's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 399
iTrader: (0)

No big deal. Each new generation of car almost always outperforms the one it replaces . . . that's just technical progress.

Look at the Porsche 911. Every generation has been "better" than the one that came before it, at least on paper (acceleration, braking, time around the Ring, etc.)

That's not to say that some models don't stand out because of their looks or a unique combination of factors that add up to "soul." For example, there are plenty of people that would choose a mint 993 over a brand new 991, or a 1973 911S over a 1980 SC.

I like to think our 1M has that element of "soul" that will keep it desirable for years to come. Personally, I don't think many people will feel that way about the m135i.
__________________
"This is a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant car. And that's all really I've got to say. The end."

Clarkson on the 1M
NPVPositive is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Don't forget, the 'standard' gearbox that the new M135 will be equipped with is an 8 speed autobox, which is likely the case in this TopGear test.

0-60 times between the M135 and a properly launched 1M should be pretty close. (those with no skill should choose the M135)
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
SpencerMH
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Fl

Posts: 228
iTrader: (3)

Autobox consistency at play there, also makes better tv. Most importantly don't forget potential, we have a smart full lock differential, and the wheel arches to run much larger tires. With a $500 chip they'll both have the same power but the 1m's ability to put that that power down in a variety of conditions is superior, I run a few mods that give quite a bit more power, jb4 g5, fill it with e85, and to a lesser extent an intake and midpipes, an extra 150hp, what could an m135i due with that power? I run 295's in the back with no rubbing and the power overwhelms the tires if I don't limit boost in the low gears, no hope for the m135i; I'm beyond happy with our cars.
__________________
BSM 1M, Motion Control Coilovers, JB4 G5 ISO, Wedge E85 Flash, DCI, N55 Mid Pipes, Evolve Race Midpipe Back Exhaust, Wagner FMIC, Stett CP w/ Tial BOV, CDV, Performance Steering Wheel, Big Tires on CH-R's.
SpencerMH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Don't forget, the 'standard' gearbox that the new M135 will be equipped with is an 8 speed autobox, which is likely the case in this TopGear test.

0-60 times between the M135 and a properly launched 1M should be pretty close. (those with no skill should choose the M135)
A bit of a blanket statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
Autobox consistency at play there, also makes better tv. Most importantly don't forget potential, we have a smart full lock differential, and the wheel arches to run much larger tires. With a $500 chip they'll both have the same power but the 1m's ability to put that that power down in a variety of conditions is superior, I run a few mods that give quite a bit more power, jb4 g5, fill it with e85, and to a lesser extent an intake and midpipes, an extra 150hp, what could an m135i due with that power? I run 295's in the back with no rubbing and the power overwhelms the tires if I don't limit boost in the low gears, no hope for the m135i; I'm beyond happy with our cars.
The Variable M Diff doesn't actually fully lock, rather, it's continuously variable and can apportion 100% of torque to one wheel if the conditions are right.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
DrShimmy
Private First Class
 
DrShimmy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M Coupe VO!
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

I'd take the 1M any day of the week.
DrShimmy is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
vito747
Private
 
Drives: 1 coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

if that launch is done properly (1m 0-62 in 4,9s) means the 135 is donig 0-62 in 3.5secs.... the 135m is a awesome car but still plays in a different league. I am sure that if you launch both 100 times it will be close and the 1m will not always win (the driver is 99,9% responsible of that) but the difference shown in the video proves that driver sucks..
vito747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
Molecourage
New Member
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Caribbean

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

What a rude film!
How dear they slander a 1M
Molecourage is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
b1aze
Just one more taste...
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shirley, MA

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (14)

m135 looks like its a :derp:
b1aze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Dee Pee
Lieutenant
 
Dee Pee's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 M Roadster, '11 AW 1M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Those of us in the US will never have to worry about this happening to us.
Dee Pee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
A bit of a blanket statement?



The Variable M Diff doesn't actually fully lock, rather, it's continuously variable and can apportion 100% of torque to one wheel if the conditions are right.
Allow me to clarify...'those with no skill in launching a vehicle with a proper gearbox'
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Allow me to clarify...'those with no skill in launching a vehicle with a proper gearbox'
I don't think choice of transmission should be based on skill, it's all preference. By saying what you said, you are inferring that only skilled drivers are allowed to drive the 1M, which in reality isn't the case. The ZF 8 speed is a fantastic gearbox; both the MT and the ZF 8 speed are proper gearboxes.

The video above is purely tongue-in-cheek; we all know the 1M is the quicker car.

Last edited by mlhj83; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I don't think choice of transmission should be based on skill, it's all preference. By saying what you said, you are inferring that only skilled drivers are allowed to drive the 1M, which in reality isn't the case. The ZF 8 speed is a fantastic gearbox; both the MT and the ZF 8 speed are proper gearboxes.

The video above is purely tongue-in-cheek; we all know the 1M is the quicker car.
That's not at all what I am saying.

If you lack the skill to properly launch a manual gearbox in a high torque car such as the 1M, you shouldn't be drag racing against an automatic as in the M135, where the driver only has to put his foot down.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 16,001
iTrader: (1)

It would be interesting to see what kind of lap times these two cars would turn.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
That's not at all what I am saying.

If you lack the skill to properly launch a manual gearbox in a high torque car such as the 1M, you shouldn't be drag racing against an automatic as in the M135, where the driver only has to put his foot down.
Fair enough. Anyway, Top Gear is all fun and games, all this video shows is that the M135 is a quick car, nothing more.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST