BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

Smoker's Kit Delete? (MY2013)

For whatever reason, BMW decided to replace the useful center console tray (perfect for a smartphone and sunglasses) with the old smokers kit for MY2013.

Does anyone know if the smoker's kit can be deleted as part of an order? I'd strongly prefer the tray and I don't want to try to install it after the fact. I've asked my dealer, but he doesn't have an answer so far.
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (25)

I cannot comment if you can delete it at the ordering level, but it is a $14 part to delete it yourself. Removing the center console is a bit of a pain, but it isn't hard and there are DIY's.
__________________
MY Build Log
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I cannot comment if you can delete it at the ordering level, but it is a $14 part to delete it yourself. Removing the center console is a bit of a pain, but it isn't hard and there are DIY's.
Thanks, but I'm not likely to take apart my center console on a new car and risk screwing something up. I'm hopeful someone can provide the magic phrase needed for the delete option on an order.
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
ejm3
Captain
 
Drives: 135 Convertible 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut

Posts: 611
iTrader: (0)

Why don't you just take up smoking? :-)
__________________
2012 135 Convertible
2010 Lexus RX350
ejm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Why don't you just take up smoking? :-)
Haha! Post of the year so far, sir.

Answer: because it's too hard to drive manual, smoke and talk on the phone at the same time (without spilling my beer). :-)
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
andrey_gta
Colonel
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
You know you have a cup holder too
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: n54 ssk, m3 trans mnt, e36M lip Wishlist: m3 susp, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, finn dif e60


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
jameshtruong
Private
 
Drives: 08'128i, 94 supra
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: houston

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Haha! Post of the year so far, sir.

Answer: because it's too hard to drive manual, smoke and talk on the phone at the same time (without spilling my beer). :-)
LOL!
jameshtruong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Bmwbreed
Major
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rota Spain (US Forces)

Posts: 1,059
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Bmwbreed
Well this is a first. Most people were upset they deleted the smokers package for those few years because many wanted the cig lighter for a plug for a radar detector or GPS or something. I'm sure several people will trade with you that have whatever interior trim color you pick. Just ask in the for sale section.
Bmwbreed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
You know you have a cup holder too
Tried it. Doesn't fit:



(for the record, that's not me!)
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Well this is a first. Most people were upset they deleted the smokers package for those few years because many wanted the cig lighter for a plug for a radar detector or GPS or something. I'm sure several people will trade with you that have whatever interior trim color you pick. Just ask in the for sale section.
It's more about the installation than the part itself -- I don't want to muck with the whole central console, if possible, so I'm hoping BMW has some secret order code.

I know some people want the smoker's kit, but I don't smoke and have no need for an additional 12V socket (there's one under the armrest already that I will rarely use). In my current 3 Coupe, the center console tray is the perfect place to put my smartphone and sunglasses and the 1 Series has less handy storage space than the 3 already without the removal of that tray.
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,346
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
It's more about the installation than the part itself -- I don't want to muck with the whole central console, if possible, so I'm hoping BMW has some secret order code.

I know some people want the smoker's kit, but I don't smoke and have no need for an additional 12V socket (there's one under the armrest already that I will rarely use). In my current 3 Coupe, the center console tray is the perfect place to put my smartphone and sunglasses and the 1 Series has less handy storage space than the 3 already without the removal of that tray.
I agree. I am actually deleting my smoker package soon. I have the parts but havent had time to get them in. I installed a CF interior kit in my car and have already done the labor once before to get the console out. I currently use the 12V on the smoker package to power my Valentine 1, which I will be hard wiring at the same time. I am actually thinking of re-wiring the internals from the smoker package and re-locating the 12V somewhere else, maybe hidden under the dash.

I am sure if you are ordering your car you could have it ordered without smoker package or you could negotiate with your dealer to delete it before you receive the car. For people wanting to retrofit a non-smoker package to have the smoker package, they need to buy the whole package which is about $300.
__________________
MY Build Log
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST