BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #221
Oni_
Private
Rep
Drives: ...

I did the CDV about two weeks ago. I honestly had a hard time discerning a difference at first (I may have had thick sole shoes for first drive). After driving it for two weeks, with two track days, it's become apparently smoother shifting between 1-2-3 and heel and toeing. I noticed I can feel disengagement through the pedal with thinner sole shoes.

I will say the install was mostly easy. I had a hell of a time bleeding the clutch, though, making baby turns on the bleeder valve due to limited access ( it may be easier with some sort of an angled wrench). The other thing that made it difficult was that one of the release clips on the connectors was facing towards the top of the vehicle rather than towards the ground.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #222
osracing
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 1er Coupé

HI,
I chose to remove it. My CDV is deleted. Is it a good solution? I think of Pipeline is not 100% Fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #223
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by osracing View Post
HI,
I chose to remove it. My CDV is deleted. Is it a good solution? I think of Pipeline is not 100% Fixed.
Removing the CDV is fine. IF your clutch pedal feels strange... you probably have some air in the system. I would re-bleed the hydraulic system again. Using a pressure bleeder makes this job MUCH easier.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #224
osracing
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW 1er Coupé

I have a problem at this place:

My CDV is removed and the piping is not fixed. The pipe is leaking
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #225
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osracing View Post
I have a problem at this place:

My CDV is removed and the piping is not fixed. The pipe is leaking
Yup! It is leaking at the connection where the CDV use to be.

Take your old CDV and use a 3mm punch to knock out the restrictor from inside the original CDV. Once you remove the restrictor... install it back in the car and re-bleed your clutch.

insert 3mm punch or a small thin screwdriver... and give it a WHACK!

cdv with restrictor removed...

Good Luck,
Dack
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      09-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #226
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Just joined the modified cdv club!

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect driving, but I thought this might result in harsher shifts with the added flow-ability in the clutch lines. Man, was I wrong. For me it's so much smoother driving the same way I did before now that the clutch is responding to me. Took way too long before I did this mod and the hour it took (mostly setting up) was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #227
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

That's it... the car is going on the hoist tonight...

I thought I forgot how to drive stick when I bought this car, thankfully it turns out I'm not the only one!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #228
jameshtruong
Private
Rep
Drives: 08'128i, 94 supra

No kidding I also wondered why it was so damn jerky and rough
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #229
arthur1920
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128 coupe, M Sport, 6 MT

huh?

I feel like I am missing something. I don't experience any difficulty driving the car. I can't detect a lag in clutch engagement.

I don't notice a difference between my Nissan '04 and my 128, 2013 when I drive them back to back.

When and how in driving would I experience this CDV problem?

Has this problem been eliminated on the 2013?

I don't like the hill holder thing-feels unnatural- but that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #230
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
cdv with restrictor removed...
Hey Dack, that little thing you have in your hand, the technical term is "placebo"! But what the heck, it is cheap and if it makes you feel better, why not?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #231
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Hey Dack, that little thing you have in your hand, the technical term is "placebo"! But what the heck, it is cheap and if it makes you feel better, why not?
It is most certainly NOT a placebo! That "thing" in my hand is the restrictor from the CDV.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #232
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It is most certainly NOT a placebo! That "thing" in my hand is the restrictor from the CDV.
Of course I realize that. It just looks like a pill and taking it (out) seems to make a lot of people feel better, even though many have no idea what it actually does. What it does is remove a "restriction" and that has to be a good thing, right?

If one were to attempt to learn English as a second language from this forum, one would conclude that the word "performance" when attached to a modification meant "change for the sake of change". That is not a bad thing, because if that were not so this forum would be long cold and there wouldn't be a fraternity tinkering with their cars for the joy of tinkering.

I have to say that I miss the passing of Larryn from this forum. He provided a lot of wisdom and he was motivated by actual performance, tested at the track and at the autoslalom. With respect to this mod though, I suspect it is better only because it is different.

Question: with the CDV installed how fast does one need to release the clutch before the slave cylinder can't track the pedal movement any more?

Arthur1920 is saying "the king has no clothes". He is wrong about hill hold though - greatest thing since sliced bread!

Great thing about this forum - we get to disagree about things.

Of course I will agree that your version of the CDV delete is the best. If I get bored and decide to try it, I will do it your way.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #233
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur1920 View Post
I feel like I am missing something. I don't experience any difficulty driving the car. I can't detect a lag in clutch engagement.

I don't notice a difference between my Nissan '04 and my 128, 2013 when I drive them back to back.

When and how in driving would I experience this CDV problem?

Has this problem been eliminated on the 2013?

I don't like the hill holder thing-feels unnatural- but that's another story.
I feel the same Arthur. Ive driven all manuals for over 10years and it doesnt feel any different in speed or delay. I actually love the way my clutch feels. Shorten the shift throw significantly and the gearbox would feel butter smooth but solid.

I do think the hill assist is much much much better than the other hill start assists ive used before. The one on my Subaru was AWFUL, thank god i could turn it off
      02-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #234
arthur1920
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128 coupe, M Sport, 6 MT

smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I feel the same Arthur. Ive driven all manuals for over 10years and it doesnt feel any different in speed or delay. I actually love the way my clutch feels. Shorten the shift throw significantly and the gearbox would feel butter smooth but solid.

I do think the hill assist is much much much better than the other hill start assists ive used before. The one on my Subaru was AWFUL, thank god i could turn it off
glad to hear it. I went out and deliberately tried to drive the car roughly and make act the way others complain and frankly, I couldn't get it to misbehave.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #235
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Clutch engages just as one would expect. I see where, based on the pictures of the CDV, it would slow down clutch movement. It makes sense and is probably a good thing to limit clutch wear, but i just dont feel it. I will have to look under there to see if it was modified prior to my taking ownership, but i dont think it was. Nothing on the car looked touched. Intake, DPs, exhaust and DME box were all virgin when i got it home.

Strange. It may be the stock throttle mapping that is a little laggy on light application, but when i changed to LT map on my Cobb, i just had to relearn quickly the feathering. Still doesnt feel laggy.
      03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #236
harrytruman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I removed the CDV on my '09 128i two days ago. Thanks to everyone for all the instructions and recommendations! The whole process was very straight-forward and, apart from a bit of time spent bleeding air from the clutch, everything went swimmingly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #237
My-other-ride-is-a-train
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

After driving my 08'135 for over a year I finally decided to try the delete. It took me a while to find a wrench to bleed the clutch but I finally got it done, I can feel a difference but nothing outrageous
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #238
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Did this mod approx three weeks ago and no bleeding was necessary coz it was done properly.
      04-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #239
1M_Black Beast
Rep
Drives: 1M

Ts135: And How do you do it properly without that pitta bleeding?
Carparc: BMW 1M BSM 06/2011, Mini R56 Mini Challenge, Mini R52 Hartge, Morgan Threewheehler barrelback with Matchless 50Bhp , First reg. 1936 (in rebuild by myself)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #240
verdespider
verdespider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Hey guys ... need some help! I just put the new CDV delete valve in and while I was bleeding the system, I lost all clutch pressure. Isn't the clutch reservoir reservoir the same as the clutch? Did I miss something here?

So far I can't seem to get any pressure on the clutch pedal ... stuck.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #241
verdespider
verdespider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

OK - Figured it out... The clutch pulls from the back portion of the reservoir and it fills from the top. So you need to really keep the reservoir filled to the top or the small section for the clutch will drain out as you bleed. I was getting a lot of air and had to bleed it a lot which is why I lost fluid.

Anyway - as everyone else has said ... OMFG!! What a great mod, such a difference and it drives normally now.

Also, why is everyone complaining about bleeding the lines? It was so easy (apart from running out of fluid) and the bleeder is easily accessible. Easy mod!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #242
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdespider View Post
OK - Figured it out... The clutch pulls from the back portion of the reservoir and it fills from the top. So you need to really keep the reservoir filled to the top or the small section for the clutch will drain out as you bleed. I was getting a lot of air and had to bleed it a lot which is why I lost fluid.
^^Yup. This is why I used a Motive pressure bleeder. It always keeps the brake res full with fluid under pressure as you bleed the clutch.

The CDV delete is a great mod. Now you need to get the Performance SSK for the total 6MT effect!

Enjoy,
Dackel
Appreciate 0