BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
We need to make a distinction between participating in a motor sport vs. viewing. Because sports car racing is exciting and challenging to participate in, and some may also find viewing it to be "relateable", but I think the extreme dynamics of F1 translate better to TV viewing than any other motorsport. You just can't beat qualifying at Monaco, or racing through eau-rouge at Spa. And the very "openness" of F1 cars makes the in-car shots more tactile to the viewer than the inside of a closed cockpit.
I couldn't agree with you more. The outright speed and technology behind F1is unsurpassable. This along with the drama and politics create one of the worlds highest viewing sport. Bernie Eccelstone has every intent of F1 being a traveling circus (as he calls it) and they do it well. Though as good Formula 1 is, its just to distant from reality. I enjoy sports car racing not only because I honestly think the actually racing is better, but it is possible to enter and have a blast doing so.

Last edited by RingMeister01; 02-11-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
NewZee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

I've loved sports cars for 40 years, but you gotta admit...nothing sounds like a Formula One racecar

NewZee
Buffalo, NY Area
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster
Black Sapphire Metalic, premium & sport pkg.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I follow both very closely, including motorcycle racing. My weekends during race season are very busy.

What I find more interesting, is the lack of interest in racing in general by majority of forum members. They spend tons of money modifying their cars and could give too sh*ts about watching/following racing of any kind. Guess they don't care where the technology comes from.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I follow both very closely, including motorcycle racing. My weekends during race season are very busy.

What I find more interesting, is the lack of interest in racing in general by majority of forum members. They spend tons of money modifying their cars and could give too sh*ts about watching/following racing of any kind. Guess they don't care where the technology comes from.
+1000

I can't believe lack of interest that there is in BMW motorsports on this forum. It's a shame really, but I put part of the blame on BMW. They never use their motorsport program in any type of advertisement. When is the last time you've heard about a M3 GTE car make an appearance at a dealership?

Look at Audi, they used the R18 in a major commercial campaign talking about lightweight technologies.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver E90 View Post
+1000

I can't believe lack of interest that there is in BMW motorsports on this forum. It's a shame really, but I put part of the blame on BMW. They never use their motorsport program in any type of advertisement. When is the last time you've heard about a M3 GTE car make an appearance at a dealership?

Look at Audi, they used the R18 in a major commercial campaign talking about lightweight technologies.
So true. I usually fall in love with my cars due to their involvement in racing. BMW made a great move joining DTM, espcially by winning the championship. IMHO nothing related to cars is more important than racing. Unfortunetly in these uncertain economic circumstances, factories look to cut costs and in many cases its racing that gets the axe. Lets hope this success and involvement continues and becomes incorporated into the brand image.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Quite the difference...

Very illustrative video!

In all fairness, I should also mention that, at times when I'm rooting for a particular F1 driver or team that's not in the "top tier", it can be pretty frustrating and boring to see your guy finish 15th week after week. I think that's where the "evenness" of NASCAR pays-off for the fans.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Quite the difference...

Not really a fair comparison since the "GT" cars don't look to be GTE/GT3 spec. but I think we get the idea.

I'd love to see that video with LMP1 Audis & Toyotas vs. F1 cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
So true. I usually fall in love with my cars due to their involvement in racing. BMW made a great move joining DTM, espcially by winning the championship. IMHO nothing related to cars is more important than racing. Unfortunetly in these uncertain economic circumstances, factories look to cut costs and in many cases its racing that gets the axe. Lets hope this success and involvement continues and becomes incorporated into the brand image.
I see your point but again look at Audi and Mercedes. BMW sells more cars then both of them. But Audi has a LMP1 program that is damn near the cost of an F1 team, they have a GT3 version of the R8 that won the N24 last year and a version of it won the Daytona 24 this year plus they are in the DTM as well. Even Mercedes has an F1 team, DTM and has a SLS GT3 car.

BMW has the Z4 GT car and DTM. That's it. Keep in mind BMW sells the most cars. I'd like to know the motorsport budgets for each manufacturer.

Sorry rant over.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
+1000

Quote:
I see your point but again look at Audi and Mercedes. BMW sells more cars then both of them. But Audi has a LMP1 program that is damn near the cost of an F1 team, they have a GT3 version of the R8 that won the N24 last year and a version of it won the Daytona 24 this year plus they are in the DTM as well. Even Mercedes has an F1 team, DTM and has a SLS GT3 car.

BMW has the Z4 GT car and DTM. That's it. Keep in mind BMW sells the most cars. I'd like to know the motorsport budgets for each manufacturer.

Sorry rant over.
lmao. The N24 was a great race and if the Z4 didn't experience mechanial trouble, it would have won and simular scenario with the 24 hrs Dubai. I think BMW's reentry into F1 was a great idea but poorly executed. Both Williams and BMW (namely Patrick Head and Dr. Mario Theissen) blamed each other for losing races, which caused bad press for BMW. If they had stayed in the game just as an engine builder and stayed out of trying to control the entire team, they could have built a reputation of being the must have engine in the paddock.
Though BMW sells the most cars, they do have 2 major factors fighting against them. 1 the current CEO is very open about his dislike of sports cars and racing. 2 BMW is still an independant firm that just doesnt have the financial strenght that Volkswagen or Dailmer Benz do to fuel so many projects and races and no Martin Winterkorn .

Then again, what do I know?
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #32
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Once in every car enthusiast's life, they should go to a F1 race for the sheer spectacle and sounds. Then they should go to every sports car race they can make. The best about pro sports car racing is the access to the paddocks and cars/drivers. That ain't happening in F1.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #33
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
Once in every car enthusiast's life, they should go to a F1 race for the sheer spectacle and sounds. Then they should go to every sports car race they can make. The best about pro sports car racing is the access to the paddocks and cars/drivers. That ain't happening in F1.
+1 F1 sound and speed needs to be seen in person. TV just doesn't give it justice.

Grand Am weekends are great for fan access. Rolex and Continental Tire series open pit lane pre race for a fan walk.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
djr1126
IMSA CTSCC Driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
+1 F1 sound and speed needs to be seen in person. TV just doesn't give it justice.

Grand Am weekends are great for fan access. Rolex and Continental Tire series open pit lane pre race for a fan walk.
Gotta love grand am! Check out the cars! That's me in the 08!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #35
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr1126 View Post

Nice!

I will be at COTA in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #36
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Prototypes FTW

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
thill0722
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i 2011 my

it is good news.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #38
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

Awesome! Saw a race at Lime Rock last season. Access to the cars and teams makes the experience that much more fun. Will def be catching an North East Coast race this season.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i
Prototypes FTW

Sex
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean335i View Post
Prototypes FTW

Seriously
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ohh you just kpened up a big can of worms.

For the record Audi when asked about a possible F1 jump similar to BMWs in the early 2000s from le mans racing released a statement where they said something along the lines of...

"We think that endurance racing is a greater engineering challenge than F1 and we want to stay in the series thats at the forefront of technology"

And ive caught a lot of flack over the years because I'm inclined to agree with them.

Sportscar racing is just better racing too.
This sums it up nicely for me. And another thing, i never will have the opportunity to drive an f1 car, at least with sports car racing i can have a chance at sitting in the street model version and being able to experience a sliver of what its like to have a race car version of it. Plus f1 cars look plain awkward and ugly IMHO, they have awkward proportions.
      02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #42
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ohh you just kpened up a big can of worms.

For the record Audi when asked about a possible F1 jump similar to BMWs in the early 2000s from le mans racing released a statement where they said something along the lines of...

"We think that endurance racing is a greater engineering challenge than F1 and we want to stay in the series thats at the forefront of technology"

And ive caught a lot of flack over the years because I'm inclined to agree with them.

Sportscar racing is just better racing too.
This sums it up nicely for me. And another thing, i never will have the opportunity to drive an f1 car, at least with sports car racing i can have a chance at sitting in the street model version and being able to experience a sliver of what its like to have a race car version of it. Plus f1 cars look plain awkward and ugly IMHO, they have awkward proportions.
+1 Amen brother
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631twentyeighteye View Post
Exactly! F1 cars sound amazing however. Nothing else sounds as exotic IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #44
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Exactly! F1 cars sound amazing however. Nothing else sounds as exotic IMO.
I went to the Candian GP back when the cars still ran V10's. The sounds the cars made were unbelievable and distinct. You could easily call out what engine was passing by while eyes closed. Very cool, must visit a race soon.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0