BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
MrKepan
New Member
 
Drives: 128i BSM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Help, Loud THUD from under the car

It happened twice already. I reversed out of the parking space, put into 1st gear, give it a little gas and "Bang!", felt like I hit a rock under the car or some hit me from behind. First time it happened as soon as I pulled forward. Second time it happened when I drove 5 yard and the "bang" is not as big as the first one. What could be the problem? I haven't talked to the dealer yet. I would think they will not find any problem since it only happen very occasionally. But it definitely sounds mechanical.

Please, anyone shed some light on this. I really appreciate it.

It drives normal and I haven't noticed anything different yet, hard acceleration is fine, too.

2010 128i, Sport Pkg, Manual
MrKepan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,840
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The diff, maybe?

I had a similar bang on my 1994 E36 and it was the differential blowing up: Looking underneath the car, one of the half-shafts was hanging outside the diff box.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Lester
Colonel
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 2,883
iTrader: (0)

If it doesn't happen again, ignore it for now, but check with your dealer when you take it in for the battery fusebox terminal recall, or on your next oil change. If it happens again, take it in right away.
Lester is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
foofopps
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 162
iTrader: (3)

Do use the parking break? I know that if I wash my car at night and then set the parking break, the next day when I back up I get a thud from the rotors breaking free. It's sound more like it's your diff though.
foofopps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,666
iTrader: (1)

I would have your car checked out. Could be lots of stuff: broken motor or trans mounts. Center driveshaft bearing bad. Quibo(flex disc)? Loose exhaust? Have your car check by a pro.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would have your car checked out. Could be lots of stuff: broken motor or trans mounts. Center driveshaft bearing bad. Quibo(flex disc)? Loose exhaust? Have your car check by a pro.
Dack is right. the first thing that poped into mind was trans mount.
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
TheRuss
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West, UK

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
If it doesn't happen again, ignore it for now, but check with your dealer when you take it in for the battery fusebox terminal recall, or on your next oil change. If it happens again, take it in right away.
What's this recall? I have a knocking sound like a golf ball rolling around the boot when I apply the brakes quite sharply (usually hear it at low speed). Any ideas?

Sorry for the thread jack, I just wonder if the above problem could be what I have.
TheRuss is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,666
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
What's this recall? I have a knocking sound like a golf ball rolling around the boot when I apply the brakes quite sharply (usually hear it at low speed). Any ideas?

Sorry for the thread jack, I just wonder if the above problem could be what I have.
Battery Cable Connector Recall for BMW 1 Series (E8X), 3 Series (E9X), Z4 (E89)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804927


Recall: Battery Cable Connector for BMW 1 Series (E8X), 3 Series (E9X), Z4 (E89)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
TheRuss
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West, UK

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Ok, but that wouldn't make a clunk in the rear of the car when braking. Any ideas what that could be?
TheRuss is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.
 
doublevanosrc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VW GTi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin. Tx

Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
My E46 BMW 330i ZHP used to make a thump like this but it was considered normal, usually right after parking it while it was in 1st gear.
__________________
2011 135i M Sport
Gone and missed
doublevanosrc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
JuuS
Private
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 93
iTrader: (0)

Does the sound a bit more like a clang than a bang? lol If it sounds like a rubber mallet being hit hard against your rear rotor, then there's a big chance it's the same thing I had. Took it to the dealer 3 times before they blamed me for getting a rock somewhere in the rear assembly. They explained (remember, I'm not a tech) where the handbrake is clamping on part of the rotor and it's occasionally is being squeezed up and ontop of it. Then, when it decides to release, there's a huge metallic thumping clang noise. They adjusted my auto adjusting handbrake 3 times. To this day, I feel that if I pull on it hard enough the problem will come back. I drive a step, so I can get around NOT using the handbrake.
JuuS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
 
crystaweizen's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
I've heard noise coming from underneath when the hill start release, there's a possibility of rotor flash rust being removed from the brakes or trans/motor mount. Those are big things and that's where I would start
crystaweizen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
MrKepan
New Member
 
Drives: 128i BSM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuS View Post
Does the sound a bit more like a clang than a bang? lol If it sounds like a rubber mallet being hit hard against your rear rotor, then there's a big chance it's the same thing I had. Took it to the dealer 3 times before they blamed me for getting a rock somewhere in the rear assembly. They explained (remember, I'm not a tech) where the handbrake is clamping on part of the rotor and it's occasionally is being squeezed up and ontop of it. Then, when it decides to release, there's a huge metallic thumping clang noise. They adjusted my auto adjusting handbrake 3 times. To this day, I feel that if I pull on it hard enough the problem will come back. I drive a step, so I can get around NOT using the handbrake.
Sound a lot like when you drove off a curb or a drive way, the underbody bottomed out and hit the concrete and your heart sank. It was sort of a CLANG, sounds mechanical than engine knocking sound.

I always pull the hand brake when I park. Next time I'll pull extra hard to see if I can duplicate the problem. Thanks for the advice.
MrKepan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
AshOz125i
Private
 
Drives: Sedona Red 1er
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps
Do use the parking break? I know that if I wash my car at night and then set the parking break, the next day when I back up I get a thud from the rotors breaking free. It's sound more like it's your diff though.
this happened to me and I dead set shat a brick. Then I realised I prob got a little carried away with the tyre shine the night before and some got on the brakes.
AshOz125i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
rking117
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOz125i View Post
this happened to me and I dead set shat a brick. Then I realised I prob got a little carried away with the tyre shine the night before and some got on the brakes.
No i am not going to change the subject. well sorta. On my Fiat, after a good wash and dry the next day when i release the hand brake the car will not even roll due to them being stuck closed. I have to put it in first then drive away. that first inch of movement and then <loud sound> POP! </> The reason i bing up the Fiat is that it is such a light small car that the sounds are very pronounced. That beng said i bet it could be that the 1 with the brake pulled could be experiencing this same thign but unlikely. Where the Fiats brake cable is hooked to the caliper on the 1 (I believe) there is a seperate brake pad that is hooked to the rotor sort of like a brake drum. (seperate pads and everything) That area is very enclosed and not likely for water to get in there to cease them up. Another person wrote somethin about hill assist. Yep that could do it. If the brakes are engaged and dont release right when you engage the clutch then i suspect you could get a large pop noise when they do break loose from the torque of the engine.
__________________
Enjoying an E89 Z4, F30 330i and Fiat Pop 500 //
E85 Z4 (sold), E82 128i (sold)
rking117 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST