BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
ChrisBuer's Avatar
United Kingdom
23
Rep
631
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

You know the 1M is special when....

You're driving along and notice a car pull alongside you slowly, checking out the 1M from back to front, looking at the angles (presumably to confirm what it is), then give you a big grin and a thumbs up.

However what makes it even better is the driver giving you the thumbs up is driving a brand new, bright yellow, Ferrari 458 Italia!!

I did laugh as I looked back at him and gave him a smile and thumbs up at his car. He then gave it a blast so that I could hear the Ferrari war cry. Stunning!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
82
Rep
4,696
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Nice story. I had the same thing last sunday afternoon but it was a black Civic Type R, the passenger taking photos with his cellphone. He also 'blasted' away. I didn't do anything. I was conversating with my wife at 70 mph @ highway but she noticed the car/guys.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
rtg0616
Registered
United Kingdom
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

I had a similar experience when I picked up my Z8 many moons ago. Driving from North London onto the M1 I had a guy in an M3 come hoofing passed me, only to slam on his brakes drive alongside me for what seemed like ten minutes Then had no end of people taking photos/vids with their phones from the backseats. Slightly embarrassing but cool all the same!

Roy.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
jan9
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Was on the north circular yesterday, 2 guys in a saab, zoomed from lane 1 into lane 3, just to get behind me and take pictures,then exit at the next junction! Has happened a few times to me now. Nice but also makes me feel a little self conscious! Prefer a thumbs up from pedestrians
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
103
Rep
3,364
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Check also these threads:
www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600639 ("Ultimate driving machine/Ultimate attention getter!")
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655081 ("Will it ....?")
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
1M Tex
Private
1M Tex's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

iTrader: (0)

I got stopped in a small Texas town by the local law enforcement recently. He walked up to the car window and apologized for stopping me but said he had to get a better look at such a great car. Better than getting a ticket.

1M envy.
__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
ace11
First Lieutenant
ace11's Avatar
No_Country
6
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Street

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Tex View Post
I got stopped in a small Texas town by the local law enforcement recently. He walked up to the car window and apologized for stopping me but said he had to get a better look at such a great car. Better than getting a ticket.

1M envy.
__________________
frozen grey 1M euro spec / tuningwerk tune / hybrid clutch / performance diff lock / upgraded rear axle / wagner fmic / performance radiator / secondary oil cooler / adv5.0 dc / michelin pss / kw v3 / stoptech bbk / vorsteiner diffusor / akrapovic evolution w/ CF tips & dp / IND black m logo / CarDiff rollbar / Recaro PP seats / BMW performance short shift kit / BMW performance steering wheel II / BMW performance CF lip / BMW performance CF side mirrors / BMW LCI blacklines
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
1M Roo
Enlisted Member
1M Roo's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & 640d Gran Coupe M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Sussex

iTrader: (0)

Filled my 1M up with petrol the other Friday evening, on returning to the car there was a guy taking pictures of it at all angles. When he realised I was the owner he appoligised but said he had never seen one in real life. That is when I realised I had taken it for granted!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Axelf
Lieutenant
Axelf's Avatar
4
Rep
442
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Mineral White M3..
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durham... U.K

iTrader: (3)

Today a guy came running up to the car... I was stationary ( having an ice cream) out side the car!! Haha , he said he would love a car like that and said if he won the lottery he would buy one!! It makes me realise how lucky I am to own one... He then said when you come past me will you floor it so I can hear the roar.... He was out running...... So I had to oblige , he was happy and so was I......
__________________
/// 1M V O sadly gone

/// M5 2014 LCI Monte Carlo Blue and Silverstone leather... Sadly gone...

/// M3 2014 Mineral White...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
AlanO
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: '09 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Why is it that I get the 17 year old in the 12 year old Mustang?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
103
Rep
3,364
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
Why is it that I get the 17 year old in the 12 year old Mustang?
Watch this video for the answer (especially from 00:35 onwards):

__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
willox
Private First Class
Scotland
2
Rep
171
Posts

 
Drives: 1M+125D M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aberdeenshire

iTrader: (0)

Haha,excellent,had some attention(all positive)so far with the 1M,had someone film it the other day,so lit the beast up,hope they dont report me for being a mad mo fo Guess sign of a rare car,yet to see another one in the u.k,seen plenty at the ring last year
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
firechicken99
Major
13
Rep
1,032
Posts

 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
You're driving along and notice a car pull alongside you slowly, checking out the 1M from back to front, looking at the angles (presumably to confirm what it is), then give you a big grin and a thumbs up.

However what makes it even better is the driver giving you the thumbs up is driving a brand new, bright yellow, Ferrari 458 Italia!!

I did laugh as I looked back at him and gave him a smile and thumbs up at his car. He then gave it a blast so that I could hear the Ferrari war cry. Stunning!!
I had this happen once, nice day out, I see an absolutely stunning new dark blue ferrari pull alongside, a father and his son gawking at the car... He drops the window, tells me how stunning the VO, lines and everything else are, and procedes drops the hammer on that glorious 12 cylinder beast!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Lieutenant
7
Rep
555
Posts

 
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Watch this video for the answer (especially from 00:35 onwards):
Holy crap that was funny!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

LONG POST, You've just been warned! Since this thread is resurrected I got to tell this: 1M gets constant attention here from everyone, mostly also because mine is a VO, I have seen other two color specimen here, it seemed to me that other than me very few people if any notice BSM or AW 1Ms since the model is largely unkown in Chile.

My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! Well my reaction was "What?, No, thanks but not for sale, hopefully never" also thinking that this was a practical joke or a trap. Then, a while later when me and my friend was welcomed at the bar of the restaurant to wait for minimum an hour to get a table (no reservations there) I saw this guy having a table together with his "dad" and someone else who could be his brother without waiting a sec. So! They did not need to wait like normal people too! I approached their table and told the guy that if they are really interested in buying a 1M I know at least one which was for sale (info that I had from my service workshop which receives some other 1Ms). They thanked and insisted to have a lunch together which we accepted. It was a fun chat and a good lunch, the "dad" turned out to be a quite rich businessman (I mean rich as Forbes magazine rich) and a car nut as well; he and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.

Also, dad's brother I was told to be the real big car nut of this particular family since he owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS I was provided with quick photos of the (car museum looking) garage and later a Google Chile detailed search showed me that everything they said was true. 2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion and while some were having dessert I chose to ask for a ride in the NSX which was accompanied by the GT-R (I switched to second car on the way back, I'd take the NSX for myself if asked).

They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now; also constantly thinking about making-up excuses to get myself in or at least around of that Zonda 760 RS.

So yeah, 1M rocks
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
EssamKh
Private First Class
EssamKh's Avatar
Egypt
2
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 1M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Egyptian in Saudi Arabia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It is always fun when random people ask me "what type of BMW is this? I never saw it before!"

In Jeddah where I live, I got un official info from BMW dealership that there are only 4 cars in town including mine! 1 BSM, 1 VO and 2 AW
__________________
** 2012 1M - Alpine White - Black - Fully Loaded
** 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
** 09 330i E93 Convertible (Retired) - Monaco Blue - Coral Red
** 03 318i E46 (Retired) - Gray Green Metallic - Beige
** 02 X5 4.4i E53 (Retired) -Titanium Silver - Gray
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
103
Rep
3,364
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! [...]
"[D]ad" [...]and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.
Also, dad's brother [...] owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS [...]
2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion [...]
They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now
Play hard to get, Oz: "My 1M ? Hm, I might cut you a deal if you throw in the Enzo."

Name:  ReallyReallyWant.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  137.9 KB
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Play hard to get, Oz: "My 1M ? Hm, I might cut you a deal if you throw in the Enzo."

Attachment 826986
Really really do Artemis Hmmm, how would it be to have a long ride in that Zonda or Enzo
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
docalex1
New Member
docalex1's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lueneburg

iTrader: (0)

Georgeous!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
Em/1
First Lieutenant
Em/1's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
LONG POST, You've just been warned! Since this thread is resurrected I got to tell this: 1M gets constant attention here from everyone, mostly also because mine is a VO, I have seen other two color specimen here, it seemed to me that other than me very few people if any notice BSM or AW 1Ms since the model is largely unkown in Chile.

My biggest surprise lately was when a very young guy (max 20 or less) approached to me while I was parking at a seaside restaurant's parking lot and pointing a Range Rover, also parking, told me that "his dad wants to buy my car if I am selling it and can pay tomorrow in cash"! Well my reaction was "What?, No, thanks but not for sale, hopefully never" also thinking that this was a practical joke or a trap. Then, a while later when me and my friend was welcomed at the bar of the restaurant to wait for minimum an hour to get a table (no reservations there) I saw this guy having a table together with his "dad" and someone else who could be his brother without waiting a sec. So! They did not need to wait like normal people too! I approached their table and told the guy that if they are really interested in buying a 1M I know at least one which was for sale (info that I had from my service workshop which receives some other 1Ms). They thanked and insisted to have a lunch together which we accepted. It was a fun chat and a good lunch, the "dad" turned out to be a quite rich businessman (I mean rich as Forbes magazine rich) and a car nut as well; he and his sons had a multiple car garage including Nurburgring edition R34 GT-R Vspec, Honda/Acura NSX, Aston Martin DB9, BMW 335i, BMW 2002ti, Range Rover etc. etc.

Also, dad's brother I was told to be the real big car nut of this particular family since he owns a garage counting a series of high end Porsches, Ferraris including a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo among others, and 2 or 3 Pagani Zonda (they had a discussion about that, 2 or 3), one is a roadster, other being the ONE AND ONLY 760 RS I was provided with quick photos of the (car museum looking) garage and later a Google Chile detailed search showed me that everything they said was true. 2 weeks later we were already invited for a Sunday barbecue at their gorgeous and art work filled mansion and while some were having dessert I chose to ask for a ride in the NSX which was accompanied by the GT-R (I switched to second car on the way back, I'd take the NSX for myself if asked).

They still want to buy my car and I still don't sell it of course but I continue meeting them, good friends now; also constantly thinking about making-up excuses to get myself in or at least around of that Zonda 760 RS.

So yeah, 1M rocks
Nice story! Best I've gotten was a free ride in the Ring Taxi together with new friends in Australia!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
AlanO
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: '09 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Watch this video for the answer (especially from 00:35 onwards):

Enlightenment.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
DarthColin
Second Lieutenant
DarthColin's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
230
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Grenfell, SK

iTrader: (0)

Not quite as good a story, but first cold start (-14 C) of the day today, and I noticed that the tin ceiling in my garage was rattling...Niiice. Stock exhaust.
__________________
‘If it even looks like rain and you pretend to be Michael Schumacher in a 599 GTO, you’ll end up in a tree’ -Clarkson
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST